Malabsorption...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' stools when he needed more enzymes were fluffy like cake frosting and yellowish greenish, smelled like feta cheese a lot of the time, too -- probably from the formula. He did get constipated from time to time and what was frustrating was that he'd have very loose stools yet a bunch of stool still in the colon. So we'd have to use a laxative as per the doctors instructions.

When he got older and used the toilet, if there was an oily sheen in the water, the stools floated and fell apart easily instead of being more solid and sinking to the bottom he needed more enzymes.

You'd have to take a LOT of enzymes for there to be issues. If anything we weren't giving him enough.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' stools when he needed more enzymes were fluffy like cake frosting and yellowish greenish, smelled like feta cheese a lot of the time, too -- probably from the formula. He did get constipated from time to time and what was frustrating was that he'd have very loose stools yet a bunch of stool still in the colon. So we'd have to use a laxative as per the doctors instructions.

When he got older and used the toilet, if there was an oily sheen in the water, the stools floated and fell apart easily instead of being more solid and sinking to the bottom he needed more enzymes.

You'd have to take a LOT of enzymes for there to be issues. If anything we weren't giving him enough.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />When he got older and used the toilet, if there was an oily sheen in the water, the stools floated and fell apart easily instead of being more solid and sinking to the bottom he needed more enzymes.
<br />
<br />You'd have to take a LOT of enzymes for there to be issues. If anything we weren't giving him enough.

hmw

Emily's stools would 'shred' apart into the water; look almost like clumps of orange/tan cotton candy in the toilet. Once she started enzymes they got a little firmer and less orange but still looked oily and floated until we increased the dose quite a bit. Now more of them sink and we see a lot less of the greasy stuff. The last time we had to increase them one of the easiest ways we could tell was by what we saw when she'd wipe- it was consistently slimy/oily and sometimes rather difficult for her to clean herself up. Fortunately, constipation has not been an issue with her.

hmw

Emily's stools would 'shred' apart into the water; look almost like clumps of orange/tan cotton candy in the toilet. Once she started enzymes they got a little firmer and less orange but still looked oily and floated until we increased the dose quite a bit. Now more of them sink and we see a lot less of the greasy stuff. The last time we had to increase them one of the easiest ways we could tell was by what we saw when she'd wipe- it was consistently slimy/oily and sometimes rather difficult for her to clean herself up. Fortunately, constipation has not been an issue with her.

hmw

hmw

hmw

Kimber1

Hey There, my daughter is one day older than yours and I have had a few issues with enzyme dosage too. Charlotte had oily stools and was waking up in the night with big tummy pains and would only settle after panadol and even them it didnt last long. I spoke to the dietician and she tripled her dose but still only goes over her limit occasionally. It is definately worth ringing your cf team to ask there opinion. How is Mariah doing in general? How are you coping?

Kimber1

Hey There, my daughter is one day older than yours and I have had a few issues with enzyme dosage too. Charlotte had oily stools and was waking up in the night with big tummy pains and would only settle after panadol and even them it didnt last long. I spoke to the dietician and she tripled her dose but still only goes over her limit occasionally. It is definately worth ringing your cf team to ask there opinion. How is Mariah doing in general? How are you coping?

Kimber1

Kimber1

Kimber1

Kimber1

Kimber1

Kimber1

Kimber1

Kimber1