Male fertility question

Cerulean

Now I know that a vast majority of CF men are sterile, because they have a congenital defect- they lack a vas deferens. About 98% of us can't have children because the sperm from the testes can travel to the semen.

That being said, has anyone ever heard of a way to bypass this process- somehow "extracting" the sperm from the testes and artificially implanting it into an egg? Just curious.

Cerulean

Now I know that a vast majority of CF men are sterile, because they have a congenital defect- they lack a vas deferens. About 98% of us can't have children because the sperm from the testes can travel to the semen.

That being said, has anyone ever heard of a way to bypass this process- somehow "extracting" the sperm from the testes and artificially implanting it into an egg? Just curious.

Cerulean

<br />
<br />That being said, has anyone ever heard of a way to bypass this process- somehow "extracting" the sperm from the testes and artificially implanting it into an egg? Just curious.

Havoc

Yup, It's called microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration (MESA). It's a needle aspiration of the sperm in the epididymus, which sits just above the testicle. Here is an article online:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.maleinfertility.org/new-retrieval2.html
">http://www.maleinfertility.org/new-retrieval2.html
</a>
Of course this also raises a lot of ethical questions regarding transmission of the CF gene.

Havoc

Yup, It's called microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration (MESA). It's a needle aspiration of the sperm in the epididymus, which sits just above the testicle. Here is an article online:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.maleinfertility.org/new-retrieval2.html
</a>
Of course this also raises a lot of ethical questions regarding transmission of the CF gene.

Havoc

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.maleinfertility.org/new-retrieval2.html
</a><br />
<br />Of course this also raises a lot of ethical questions regarding transmission of the CF gene.

Cerulean

Yes I thought of the ethics myself. Although, if I ever entertained the idea, I would have all parties screened so that the child would at most be a carrier. I'd NEVER put my child in such a position.

However, that doesn't seem to stop families with CF children from having more children, somehow rolling the dice and playing the 1:4 odds that they will have another CF child.

Cerulean

Yes I thought of the ethics myself. Although, if I ever entertained the idea, I would have all parties screened so that the child would at most be a carrier. I'd NEVER put my child in such a position.

However, that doesn't seem to stop families with CF children from having more children, somehow rolling the dice and playing the 1:4 odds that they will have another CF child.

Cerulean

<br />
<br />However, that doesn't seem to stop families with CF children from having more children, somehow rolling the dice and playing the 1:4 odds that they will have another CF child.

Proxy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Cerulean</b></i>

However, that doesn't seem to stop families with CF children from having more children, somehow rolling the dice and playing the 1:4 odds that they will have another CF child.</end quote></div>

I find "rolling the dice" like that selfish to be honest

Proxy

However, that doesn't seem to stop families with CF children from having more children, somehow rolling the dice and playing the 1:4 odds that they will have another CF child.</end quote>

I find "rolling the dice" like that selfish to be honest

Proxy

<br />
<br />Yes I thought of the ethics myself. Although, if I ever entertained the idea, I would have all parties screened so that the child would at most be a carrier. I'd NEVER put my child in such a position.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />However, that doesn't seem to stop families with CF children from having more children, somehow rolling the dice and playing the 1:4 odds that they will have another CF child.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I find "rolling the dice" like that selfish to be honest

julie

Cerulean,

Yes, that is possible. My ex husband has CF and we did NSA (non surgical sperm aspiration- about $2500 CHEAPER than MESA), In vitro fertilization with ICSI (intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection) and then transferred the embryos when they were mature.

We transferred two, both of them attached, and one of them split so we ended up with triplets, Identical boys and a girl.

I actually have a website all about it, information specific for CFers and then our personal journey. However, the site is in the process of being moved and updated. Some days its functional and somedays it's not www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com

There are several other couples on this site who have had these procedures done as well. Hanna and her husband Tyler who have twin girls (they transferred 4 embryos) (they actually flew to WA from the east coast and used my IVF doc because he was about $9k cheaper!!!) and Sara and Dustin who have twin girls.

I'm also more than happy to share my personal experienc, and if you have any specific questions you can think of, I'm an open book. services@dafcf.org

julie

Cerulean,

Yes, that is possible. My ex husband has CF and we did NSA (non surgical sperm aspiration- about $2500 CHEAPER than MESA), In vitro fertilization with ICSI (intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection) and then transferred the embryos when they were mature.

We transferred two, both of them attached, and one of them split so we ended up with triplets, Identical boys and a girl.

I actually have a website all about it, information specific for CFers and then our personal journey. However, the site is in the process of being moved and updated. Some days its functional and somedays it's not www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com

There are several other couples on this site who have had these procedures done as well. Hanna and her husband Tyler who have twin girls (they transferred 4 embryos) (they actually flew to WA from the east coast and used my IVF doc because he was about $9k cheaper!!!) and Sara and Dustin who have twin girls.

I'm also more than happy to share my personal experienc, and if you have any specific questions you can think of, I'm an open book. services@dafcf.org

julie

Cerulean,
<br />
<br />Yes, that is possible. My ex husband has CF and we did NSA (non surgical sperm aspiration- about $2500 CHEAPER than MESA), In vitro fertilization with ICSI (intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection) and then transferred the embryos when they were mature.
<br />
<br />We transferred two, both of them attached, and one of them split so we ended up with triplets, Identical boys and a girl.
<br />
<br />I actually have a website all about it, information specific for CFers and then our personal journey. However, the site is in the process of being moved and updated. Some days its functional and somedays it's not www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com
<br />
<br />There are several other couples on this site who have had these procedures done as well. Hanna and her husband Tyler who have twin girls (they transferred 4 embryos) (they actually flew to WA from the east coast and used my IVF doc because he was about $9k cheaper!!!) and Sara and Dustin who have twin girls.
<br />
<br />I'm also more than happy to share my personal experienc, and if you have any specific questions you can think of, I'm an open book. services@dafcf.org