Marriage?

ellyc23

Does anyone know what is best to do? My fiance and I are still engaged and our son has CF. He is on medicaid and so far everything has been covered and I couldn't imagine how we could afford all of the things he needs if we were to get married, since I have heard stories that he would lose his benefits. We live in Texas and I know every state is different, but I just don't to affect my son for something that I want. If anybody has any suggestions, it would greatly appreciated, I have been engaged for two years now and I just feel like there will never be a wedding and I don't want to be selfish because I know my son needs the best! Please help! Thanks, Elly

dougs280z

If you guys truly love each other, I don't see why it needs to be a "legalized" wedding. Why not have a wedding and go through with all of the normal wedding steps, just without the paper trail. If and when things get better, you can make it official. Other than a marriage license, I don't see much difference in the end.

C

cfgf28

I dont know how it works in Texas, but in NYS if you are living together, with a biological child together, medicaid counts both your incomes, since you are considered one house hold. Are you sure they aren't doing that already?

ellyc23

No, here in Texas if you aren't married they only count the mother's income, so if we were to get married then they would count us together.

anien2

Wait a minute... So you had a child without being married??? OMG!!! you three are going to burn in hell for the rest of time, you know that, right?? At least I hope that if you get... "married" you dont wear a white dress that day!! a white dress means "purity"!! you know that???

LOL just joking!! I was just remembering what an aunt of mine said to us when I told her that my fiancee was pregnant.

Do you get medicaid from ssdi or is out just based on income? In Washington, i only qualify for medicaid because my daughters cf is serious enough to be called a medical Disability. Income is too high for other programs but we qualify because she receives ssdi.

Or insurance actually has a Disability coordinator who heeled us apply for it.

amber682

I'm curious about this as well. Me and my "husband" have been together for 13 years, living together for 12. We have 2 children. Our children also receive medicaid. All of both of our income is reported, I send in his paystubs and bank acct. info, etc. But I am afraid if we actually get married they will make me put the kids on health insurance through his job, which we can't afford. He doesn't even have health insurance himself. I really would like to have the same last name as my spouse and kids :/

ellyc23

Very Funny anien2! had me going!

Well my son does receive benefits through SSI, but its not as much what you might think. He is on medicaid and everything is fully covered. Based on both our incomes, we would 'MAKE TOO MUCH" but we are living paycheck to paycheck, with a new house and paying for a caregiver for our son, so that we don't have to use daycare. Luckily things have been very well for us and we haven't had many hospital stays except two which were due to the doctors decision for precaution and a g tube being put in. I have spoken to someone about a commitment ceremony and basically we would get married and have everything we want, but without the actual marriage license, which honestly doesn't bother me at all. So if you want a wedding, look for people who will marry you, but without court being involved, your family wouldn't even know the difference. It does suck to not be able to do it the "right" way, but really if you are happy and know that you want to be with them, it shouldn't matter. What matters is our children. Hope this helps!