mask post tx

musclemania70

How long do you wear the mask after surgey?
Everytime you go in public places?
Can you ever fly again?
Can you ever drink alcohol?

musclemania70

Can you ever fly again?

musclemania70

Can you ever fly again?

musclemania70

Can you ever fly again?

musclemania70

<br />Everytime you go in public places?
<br />Can you ever fly again?
<br />Can you ever drink alcohol?

NYCLawGirl

different centers seem to have different guidelines for patients post-tx, so i can only respond with what my tx doctor told me personally is response to similar questions i had:

1) the mask is not ever "required" (except maybe in clinics), but it is recommended in public, esp. around crowds
2) yes and no - my doctor said it was his job to "recommend" from a medical standpoint that post-tx patients not go into crowded places without a mask. he also said it was MY job to make my own decisions re the actual risks i was willing to take. he did say that the first year is definitely the most "crucial" for masks, etc, b/c that is when the drug doses are highest and risk of rejection is greatest
3) yes, my doctor said it is recommended that you not fly commercial airlines for about a year post-tx, but after that it's fine
4) this i KNOW varies from center to center. my center says no alcohol b/c it is generally bad for the body, can lead to infection, and b/c drugs post-tx (like prednisone) are processed in the liver. other centers say limited alcohol use is fine. i think the bottom line is alcohol isn't in and of itself a huge risk for post-tx patients, but like everything else mildly destructive to your body it isn't great either. it's really up to the patient to be smart.

hope that helps!

NYCLawGirl

different centers seem to have different guidelines for patients post-tx, so i can only respond with what my tx doctor told me personally is response to similar questions i had:

1) the mask is not ever "required" (except maybe in clinics), but it is recommended in public, esp. around crowds
2) yes and no - my doctor said it was his job to "recommend" from a medical standpoint that post-tx patients not go into crowded places without a mask. he also said it was MY job to make my own decisions re the actual risks i was willing to take. he did say that the first year is definitely the most "crucial" for masks, etc, b/c that is when the drug doses are highest and risk of rejection is greatest
3) yes, my doctor said it is recommended that you not fly commercial airlines for about a year post-tx, but after that it's fine
4) this i KNOW varies from center to center. my center says no alcohol b/c it is generally bad for the body, can lead to infection, and b/c drugs post-tx (like prednisone) are processed in the liver. other centers say limited alcohol use is fine. i think the bottom line is alcohol isn't in and of itself a huge risk for post-tx patients, but like everything else mildly destructive to your body it isn't great either. it's really up to the patient to be smart.

hope that helps!

NYCLawGirl

hope that helps!

NYCLawGirl

hope that helps!

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />1) the mask is not ever "required" (except maybe in clinics), but it is recommended in public, esp. around crowds
<br />2) yes and no - my doctor said it was his job to "recommend" from a medical standpoint that post-tx patients not go into crowded places without a mask. he also said it was MY job to make my own decisions re the actual risks i was willing to take. he did say that the first year is definitely the most "crucial" for masks, etc, b/c that is when the drug doses are highest and risk of rejection is greatest
<br />3) yes, my doctor said it is recommended that you not fly commercial airlines for about a year post-tx, but after that it's fine
<br />4) this i KNOW varies from center to center. my center says no alcohol b/c it is generally bad for the body, can lead to infection, and b/c drugs post-tx (like prednisone) are processed in the liver. other centers say limited alcohol use is fine. i think the bottom line is alcohol isn't in and of itself a huge risk for post-tx patients, but like everything else mildly destructive to your body it isn't great either. it's really up to the patient to be smart.
<br />
<br />hope that helps!

summer732

1/2. I wore a mask in the hospital and to clinic appointments the first two months. After that no more mask. My doctor feels that at some point your lungs are going to be exposed to all the nasty stuff in the environment so you may as well get used to it. I commute on a crowded subway and I live in NY. I'm just sure to hold my breath any time I see dust flying around or anything. The only time I wore a mask to a public place was when I was diagnosed with acute rejection the first two weeks after tx. I was on high doses of salumedrol but I was so sick of being stuck in the house. So my doc let me out on the promise that I would wear a mask.

3. I flew home about 4 months after my transplant so yes, you can fly.

4. Everything in moderation.

But of course follow to your centers specific instructions. Remember we are given transplants so that we can live our lives, not restrict them.

summer732

1/2. I wore a mask in the hospital and to clinic appointments the first two months. After that no more mask. My doctor feels that at some point your lungs are going to be exposed to all the nasty stuff in the environment so you may as well get used to it. I commute on a crowded subway and I live in NY. I'm just sure to hold my breath any time I see dust flying around or anything. The only time I wore a mask to a public place was when I was diagnosed with acute rejection the first two weeks after tx. I was on high doses of salumedrol but I was so sick of being stuck in the house. So my doc let me out on the promise that I would wear a mask.

But of course follow to your centers specific instructions. Remember we are given transplants so that we can live our lives, not restrict them.

summer732

summer732

summer732

<br />
<br />3. I flew home about 4 months after my transplant so yes, you can fly.
<br />
<br />4. Everything in moderation.
<br />
<br />But of course follow to your centers specific instructions. Remember we are given transplants so that we can live our lives, not restrict them.