Mature discussion of THC & CF

omegatron

This is not about smoking or getting high. I want to know if this is valid...especially the last bit.

Cannabis stimulates appetite and food intake. This property has been exploited to benefit AIDS and cancer patients suffering from wasting disease, by administering the whole plant or its major active ingredient ?9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Endogenous cannabinoids ("endocannabinoids") are found in maternal milk. We have recently shown that endocannabinoids are critical for milk ingestion and survival of newborns because blocking CB1 receptors resulted in death from malnutrition. Lack of appetite resulting in malnutrition is a contributing factor to mortality in many Cystic Fibrosis (CF) patients. It is proposed here for the first time, to administer THC to CF patients. It is hoped that the cannabinoid will alleviate malnutrition and thus help prevent wasting in CF patients. Recent findings suggest that a lipid imbalance (high arachidonic acid/low DHA) is a primary factor in the etiology of CF and that defective CFTR (CF transmembrane conductor regulator) that characterizes the CF condition is responsible for the dysregulation. Endocannabinoids are all fatty acid derivatives. Therefore, it is further proposed here that the CFTR gene product also modulates endocannabinoid synthesis, through regulation of fatty acid biosynthesis. According to this hypothesis, CF patients display decreased levels of endocannabinoids and by elevating these levels, symptoms may improve. Indeed, a number of physiological mechanisms of cannabinoids and endocannabinoids coincide with the pathology of CF. Thus it is suggested that potential benefits from THC treatment, in addition to appetite stimulation, will include antiemetic, bronchodilating, anti-inflammatory, anti-diarrheal and hypoalgesic effects.

omegatron

This is not about smoking or getting high. I want to know if this is valid...especially the last bit.

Cannabis stimulates appetite and food intake. This property has been exploited to benefit AIDS and cancer patients suffering from wasting disease, by administering the whole plant or its major active ingredient ?9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Endogenous cannabinoids ("endocannabinoids") are found in maternal milk. We have recently shown that endocannabinoids are critical for milk ingestion and survival of newborns because blocking CB1 receptors resulted in death from malnutrition. Lack of appetite resulting in malnutrition is a contributing factor to mortality in many Cystic Fibrosis (CF) patients. It is proposed here for the first time, to administer THC to CF patients. It is hoped that the cannabinoid will alleviate malnutrition and thus help prevent wasting in CF patients. Recent findings suggest that a lipid imbalance (high arachidonic acid/low DHA) is a primary factor in the etiology of CF and that defective CFTR (CF transmembrane conductor regulator) that characterizes the CF condition is responsible for the dysregulation. Endocannabinoids are all fatty acid derivatives. Therefore, it is further proposed here that the CFTR gene product also modulates endocannabinoid synthesis, through regulation of fatty acid biosynthesis. According to this hypothesis, CF patients display decreased levels of endocannabinoids and by elevating these levels, symptoms may improve. Indeed, a number of physiological mechanisms of cannabinoids and endocannabinoids coincide with the pathology of CF. Thus it is suggested that potential benefits from THC treatment, in addition to appetite stimulation, will include antiemetic, bronchodilating, anti-inflammatory, anti-diarrheal and hypoalgesic effects.

omegatron

omegatron

omegatron

omegatron

J

Jade

I understand what you said and agree about the <i>possible</i> benefits of it. However, was there a study or something going on I could read more about.

J

Jade

I understand what you said and agree about the <i>possible</i> benefits of it. However, was there a study or something going on I could read more about.

J

Jade

J

Jade

J

Jade

J

Jade

omegatron

hi jade! thank you for participating in this discussion. my name is david and i live in denver....there are studies done by a doctor, dr. donald tashkin. he is in the pulmonary department w/ ucla. he has been researching the effects, both beneficial and negative of thc.

most of his studies are of combusted (smoked) herbs. obviously i do not endorse smoking and most of his studies were done before a vaporizer of medical quality was available. here are a few sites...

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/medical/tashkin/tashkin1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer

http://www.haworthpress.com/store/ArticleAbstract.asp?sid=XEXSKC1RHXX98H608FV9AQV2KXQM7D12&ID=1474

there are also several medicial trials done by dr. taskin that are available in the ucla online library.

please let me know what you think...

omegatron

hi jade! thank you for participating in this discussion. my name is david and i live in denver....there are studies done by a doctor, dr. donald tashkin. he is in the pulmonary department w/ ucla. he has been researching the effects, both beneficial and negative of thc.

most of his studies are of combusted (smoked) herbs. obviously i do not endorse smoking and most of his studies were done before a vaporizer of medical quality was available. here are a few sites...

http://www.haworthpress.com/store/ArticleAbstract.asp?sid=XEXSKC1RHXX98H608FV9AQV2KXQM7D12&ID=1474

there are also several medicial trials done by dr. taskin that are available in the ucla online library.

omegatron

omegatron

omegatron

omegatron

Wheezie

I haven't checked out the links yet, but I have to wonder: if most of Dr. Tashkin's studies were done before a vaporizer of medical quality was available, and if his initial results were as promising as they sound in David's original post, how come nobody else has caught on to this/developed it further/conducted current studies where medical quality vaporizers ARE available, etc.? Also, if those studies were conducted using combusted herbs, how much does that method of delivery contribute to the success of the results? I don't think we could advocate smoking anything for anybody, but especially not for people with CF. Any study of THC use for the CF population would have to be conducted using orally ingested forms of the drug (or some other method of delivery besides smoking) to even begin to be considered relevant (at least in my opinion).

Wheezie

I haven't checked out the links yet, but I have to wonder: if most of Dr. Tashkin's studies were done before a vaporizer of medical quality was available, and if his initial results were as promising as they sound in David's original post, how come nobody else has caught on to this/developed it further/conducted current studies where medical quality vaporizers ARE available, etc.? Also, if those studies were conducted using combusted herbs, how much does that method of delivery contribute to the success of the results? I don't think we could advocate smoking anything for anybody, but especially not for people with CF. Any study of THC use for the CF population would have to be conducted using orally ingested forms of the drug (or some other method of delivery besides smoking) to even begin to be considered relevant (at least in my opinion).