Medical bills

lexisangels05

My husband and I sat down last night and figured our medical bills for 2008. We spent over $18,000. This is such a strain for us. We have tried to get some assistance, but do not qualify for anything because we make too much money. I so wish they had some type of assistance for families with chronically ill kids that is not income based. My husband is a school teacher and I am an x-ray tech, so you know we do not make a lot! Any advise?

Melissa

lexisangels05

My husband and I sat down last night and figured our medical bills for 2008. We spent over $18,000. This is such a strain for us. We have tried to get some assistance, but do not qualify for anything because we make too much money. I so wish they had some type of assistance for families with chronically ill kids that is not income based. My husband is a school teacher and I am an x-ray tech, so you know we do not make a lot! Any advise?

Melissa

lexisangels05

Melissa

lexisangels05

Melissa

lexisangels05

<br />
<br />Melissa

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is your child on Tobi or pulmozyme? DH and I have similar issues, but a few years ago, our income was still eligible for the tobi foundation -- if your copay is over $25 and you meet their guidelines, they'll pay the copays. Our first tobi copay of the year is over $500 until we meet our prescription out of pocket max of $1000.

Most states of SCHIP funding; however, we exceed the 200% over low income guidelines for our state.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is your child on Tobi or pulmozyme? DH and I have similar issues, but a few years ago, our income was still eligible for the tobi foundation -- if your copay is over $25 and you meet their guidelines, they'll pay the copays. Our first tobi copay of the year is over $500 until we meet our prescription out of pocket max of $1000.

Most states of SCHIP funding; however, we exceed the 200% over low income guidelines for our state.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Most states of SCHIP funding; however, we exceed the 200% over low income guidelines for our state.

JazzysMom

Your best bet is to apply those out of pocket expenses in one of two ways.

Open up a Flexable Spending Account. This is beneficial because whatever amount you open it for brings your taxable income level down (if you make 20,000 a year & open an account for 5,000 then your taxable income is already reduced to 15,000). The $$ is already there to be spent for co pays, over the counter meds, xrays etc. The bad thing about this (especially when starting out) is if you dont use the total amount you opened with then you lose it. IF you go over that amount I am not sure what happens.....

You could use the medical as a deduction, but you can only deduct what is OVER 7.5% of your income so if you dish out costs that arent over that then you are just paying it out & havent met the requirements to get a break on the income tax return.

Here is a link regarding all this that might help a bit more. I think many americans are falling into this gray area. Make too much for assistant, but not enough to really handle it on their own.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/dont_mess_with_taxes/medical/
">http://dontmesswithtaxes.typep...s_with_taxes/medical/
</a>

JazzysMom

Open up a Flexable Spending Account. This is beneficial because whatever amount you open it for brings your taxable income level down (if you make 20,000 a year & open an account for 5,000 then your taxable income is already reduced to 15,000). The $$ is already there to be spent for co pays, over the counter meds, xrays etc. The bad thing about this (especially when starting out) is if you dont use the total amount you opened with then you lose it. IF you go over that amount I am not sure what happens.....

You could use the medical as a deduction, but you can only deduct what is OVER 7.5% of your income so if you dish out costs that arent over that then you are just paying it out & havent met the requirements to get a break on the income tax return.

Here is a link regarding all this that might help a bit more. I think many americans are falling into this gray area. Make too much for assistant, but not enough to really handle it on their own.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/dont_mess_with_taxes/medical/
</a>

JazzysMom

</a>

JazzysMom

</a>

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Open up a Flexable Spending Account. This is beneficial because whatever amount you open it for brings your taxable income level down (if you make 20,000 a year & open an account for 5,000 then your taxable income is already reduced to 15,000). The $$ is already there to be spent for co pays, over the counter meds, xrays etc. The bad thing about this (especially when starting out) is if you dont use the total amount you opened with then you lose it. IF you go over that amount I am not sure what happens.....
<br />
<br />You could use the medical as a deduction, but you can only deduct what is OVER 7.5% of your income so if you dish out costs that arent over that then you are just paying it out & havent met the requirements to get a break on the income tax return.
<br />
<br />Here is a link regarding all this that might help a bit more. I think many americans are falling into this gray area. Make too much for assistant, but not enough to really handle it on their own.
<br />
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/dont_mess_with_taxes/medical/
</a><br />

V

valigirl21

Have you tried Chronic Didease Fund? They have funding to help with co-pay and OOP medical expenses directly related to a dx, and cf is one of them. I also think if you go to their site there are links to other resources. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help; I deal with cancer patients, but I've seen CF on their site. Search Chronic Disease Fund and you should be able to find the link. Also have you applied for SSI or disability for you child. People who get SSI automatically get MCD. You moght want to consider that as an option. It is an eligible dx for SSI.

V

valigirl21

Have you tried Chronic Didease Fund? They have funding to help with co-pay and OOP medical expenses directly related to a dx, and cf is one of them. I also think if you go to their site there are links to other resources. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help; I deal with cancer patients, but I've seen CF on their site. Search Chronic Disease Fund and you should be able to find the link. Also have you applied for SSI or disability for you child. People who get SSI automatically get MCD. You moght want to consider that as an option. It is an eligible dx for SSI.

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21