medical plan

M

Mommafirst

<P>I spoke with the school nurse today for what will be included in Alyssa's medical plan when she starts kindergarten.   This is separate from the 504, which will include any accommodations (like homebound instruction when on IVs or no attendance penalty as long as she keeps up with the work).    For those that have "been there and done that" can you look through this list and tell me if I'm missing anything:</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Enzymes will be administered by nurse but not in the clinic to avoid going to the place where all the sick kids hang out.</P>
<P>We'll be preparing her for self-administration of enzymes eventually, but not until she is a little older</P>
<P>Doctors orders will be included for enzymes and other meds.</P>
<P>She will leave class 5 minutes before lunch (or snack) to get her enzymes so that she won't miss the actual eating time period.</P>
<P>An action plan will be filed for what to do if her mic-key button were to fall out and how to manage hot days.</P>
<P>She will be allowed (and encouraged) to have a water bottle with her at all times.</P>
<P>An asthma action plan will be filed for inhaler use, including treatments every 4 hours when on "sick plan".</P>
<P> </P>
<P>I think thats everything.  I still can add or make changes.  Any suggestions?</P>

M

Mommafirst

<P>I spoke with the school nurse today for what will be included in Alyssa's medical plan when she starts kindergarten. This is separate from the 504, which will include any accommodations (like homebound instruction when on IVs or no attendance penalty as long as she keeps up with the work). For those that have "been there and done that" can you look through this list and tell me if I'm missing anything:</P>
<P></P>
<P>Enzymes will be administered by nurse but not in the clinic to avoid going to the place where all the sick kids hang out.</P>
<P>We'll be preparing her for self-administration of enzymes eventually, but not until she is a little older</P>
<P>She will leave class 5 minutes before lunch (or snack)to get her enzymes so that she won't miss the actual eating time period.</P>
<P>An action plan will be filed for what to do if her mic-key button were to fall out and how to manage hot days.</P>
<P>She will be allowed (and encouraged) to have a water bottle with her at all times.</P>
<P>An asthma action plan will be filed for inhaler use, including treatments every 4 hours when on "sick plan".</P>
<P></P>
<P>I think thats everything. I still can add or make changes. Any suggestions?</P>

M

Mommafirst

<P>I spoke with the school nurse today for what will be included in Alyssa's medical plan when she starts kindergarten. This is separate from the 504, which will include any accommodations (like homebound instruction when on IVs or no attendance penalty as long as she keeps up with the work). For those that have "been there and done that" can you look through this list and tell me if I'm missing anything:</P>
<P></P>
<P>She will leave class 5 minutes before lunch (or snack)to get her enzymes so that she won't miss the actual eating time period.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I think thats everything. I still can add or make changes. Any suggestions?<BR></P>

Beccamom

My daughter has had a 504 plan, but not medical plan. What is a medical plan and what legal rights do you have if something in the medical plan is not followed? For what accomodations to ask for I found great information on the CF foundation cite.

<A HREF="http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/SchoolAndCF/Day-to-Day-School-and-CF.pdf">http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/SchoolAndCF/Day-to-Day-School-and-CF.pdf</A>

Best wishes

Beccamom

My daughter has had a 504 plan, but not medical plan. What is a medical plan and what legal rights do you have if something in the medical plan is not followed? For what accomodations to ask for I found great information on the CF foundation cite.

<A HREF="http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/SchoolAndCF/Day-to-Day-School-and-CF.pdf">http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/SchoolAndCF/Day-to-Day-School-and-CF.pdf</A>

Best wishes

Beccamom

<br />
<br /><A HREF="http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/SchoolAndCF/Day-to-Day-School-and-CF.pdf">http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/AtSchool/SchoolAndCF/Day-to-Day-School-and-CF.pdf</A>
<br />
<br />Best wishes
<br />
<br />
<br />

What about having unlimited use of the bathroom? Just wondering... Next year I will be going through the same when Sophia starts kindergarten.

Gina
Mom to Sophia 3 w/cf, Peter & Gavin 2 w/cf. Df508 & py849x

What about having unlimited use of the bathroom? Just wondering... Next year I will be going through the same when Sophia starts kindergarten.

Gina
Mom to Sophia 3 w/cf, Peter & Gavin 2 w/cf. Df508 & py849x

<br />
<br />
<br />Gina
<br />Mom to Sophia 3 w/cf, Peter & Gavin 2 w/cf. Df508 & py849x

M

Mommafirst

I didn't think to add bathroom issues, because Alyssa is pancreatic sufficient, so she doesn't have those issues. I will ask to put something in there about that.

I don't know if there is a legal right to the medical plan . . . the school said we will have a 504, but this is just the medical component that is added to it. There is always a concern about the legality of it, but the school and all the administrators have been completely accommodating, suggesting additional things we should add (like homebound instruction) that I feel confident that they will help meet her needs.

M

Mommafirst

I didn't think to add bathroom issues, because Alyssa is pancreatic sufficient, so she doesn't have those issues. I will ask to put something in there about that.

I don't know if there is a legal right to the medical plan . . . the school said we will have a 504, but this is just the medical component that is added to it. There is always a concern about the legality of it, but the school and all the administrators have been completely accommodating, suggesting additional things we should add (like homebound instruction) that I feel confident that they will help meet her needs.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I don't know if there is a legal right to the medical plan . . . the school said we will have a 504, but this is just the medical component that is added to it. There is always a concern about the legality of it, but the school and all the administrators have been completely accommodating, suggesting additional things we should add (like homebound instruction) that I feel confident that they will help meet her needs.

LouLou

I met a teacher who had a cf student in her room in CT and she joked she rather liked it because on her 504/IEP/medical plan or something she had a rule that every student had to wash their hands before entering any classroom she was a part of. Also all desks had to be disinfected before she and her classmates were to enter. The teacher said she loved it because she had the healthiest classroom because of it.

LouLou

I met a teacher who had a cf student in her room in CT and she joked she rather liked it because on her 504/IEP/medical plan or something she had a rule that every student had to wash their hands before entering any classroom she was a part of. Also all desks had to be disinfected before she and her classmates were to enter. The teacher said she loved it because she had the healthiest classroom because of it.

LouLou

LouLou

I met a teacher who had a cf student in her room in CT and she joked she rather liked it because on her 504/IEP/medical plan or something she had a rule that every student had to wash their hands before entering any classroom she was a part of. Also all desks had to be disinfected before she and her classmates were to enter. The teacher said she loved it because she had the healthiest classroom because of it. While I think this might be going overboard I thought it was worth mentioning since someone put it on the list.

Back in the day, my mom had it so I had gym class twice as often. Most of my elementary years started with a gym class then I went on with my day and went to gym class when it was my turn as well...not sure how often kids have gym now but it might be worth looking into since phys. ed is so good for your cfers.

LouLou

I met a teacher who had a cf student in her room in CT and she joked she rather liked it because on her 504/IEP/medical plan or something she had a rule that every student had to wash their hands before entering any classroom she was a part of. Also all desks had to be disinfected before she and her classmates were to enter. The teacher said she loved it because she had the healthiest classroom because of it. While I think this might be going overboard I thought it was worth mentioning since someone put it on the list.

Back in the day, my mom had it so I had gym class twice as often. Most of my elementary years started with a gym class then I went on with my day and went to gym class when it was my turn as well...not sure how often kids have gym now but it might be worth looking into since phys. ed is so good for your cfers.

LouLou

<br />
<br />Back in the day, my mom had it so I had gym class twice as often. Most of my elementary years started with a gym class then I went on with my day and went to gym class when it was my turn as well...not sure how often kids have gym now but it might be worth looking into since phys. ed is so good for your cfers.