Meds in jail?

NYCLawGirl

Jennifer, the practice of sometimes giving people with serious illnesses/disabilities shortened sentences has little or nothing to do with "taking accountability" for our actions as CFers. In has to do with the purpose of jail time, which is supposed to be a punishment "to fit the crime." For people with CF, for example, a long prison stay could cause disproportionate impact on our health and lives compared to someone without the disease. So a shorter stay could in essence be the same "punishment", even though the prison time is actually reduced. Also, some illnesses are presumed to shorten lives (for better or for worse, not saying this is a correct assumption in all cases), so again a shorter prison stay could be warranted in order to make the punishment "fit." This is exactly why judges have discretion most of the time in determining length of sentence -- anything from a person's health to his/her remorse or likelihood of repeating the crime can factor in to how much punishment is "fitting" to match the crime. So I don't think anyone is saying CFers aren't fully responsible for our crimes . . . just that there are other factors that go into dolling out what is supposed to be justice.

As to the original poster, there are different procedural issues in every state, but no, they cannot deny you necessary medical care while incarcerated. Have your doctor prepare a statement now detailing all your meds, their importance to your health, and any other needs you might have that serve a legit medical purpose (e.g., extra calories). Know that you're not likely to get much of a say in HOW the medical care is administered in prison -- they may require that you get CPT instead of the vest, for example, or they may require you rise extra early for treatments, etc. I would also have the doctor write down conditions that may be unacceptable for your health as a CFer (e.g., bunking with prisoners who show sign of infectious disease, mold, lack of access to toilets for prolonged periods of time). Basically, cover ever contingency, because you want to be able to clearly document that you provided the state with as much information about your health needs as possible.

Definitely make SURE that you have all this information available for the judge and prison officials BEFORE you are sentenced.

NYCLawGirl

Jennifer, the practice of sometimes giving people with serious illnesses/disabilities shortened sentences has little or nothing to do with "taking accountability" for our actions as CFers. In has to do with the purpose of jail time, which is supposed to be a punishment "to fit the crime." For people with CF, for example, a long prison stay could cause disproportionate impact on our health and lives compared to someone without the disease. So a shorter stay could in essence be the same "punishment", even though the prison time is actually reduced. Also, some illnesses are presumed to shorten lives (for better or for worse, not saying this is a correct assumption in all cases), so again a shorter prison stay could be warranted in order to make the punishment "fit." This is exactly why judges have discretion most of the time in determining length of sentence -- anything from a person's health to his/her remorse or likelihood of repeating the crime can factor in to how much punishment is "fitting" to match the crime. So I don't think anyone is saying CFers aren't fully responsible for our crimes . . . just that there are other factors that go into dolling out what is supposed to be justice.

As to the original poster, there are different procedural issues in every state, but no, they cannot deny you necessary medical care while incarcerated. Have your doctor prepare a statement now detailing all your meds, their importance to your health, and any other needs you might have that serve a legit medical purpose (e.g., extra calories). Know that you're not likely to get much of a say in HOW the medical care is administered in prison -- they may require that you get CPT instead of the vest, for example, or they may require you rise extra early for treatments, etc. I would also have the doctor write down conditions that may be unacceptable for your health as a CFer (e.g., bunking with prisoners who show sign of infectious disease, mold, lack of access to toilets for prolonged periods of time). Basically, cover ever contingency, because you want to be able to clearly document that you provided the state with as much information about your health needs as possible.

Definitely make SURE that you have all this information available for the judge and prison officials BEFORE you are sentenced.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />As to the original poster, there are different procedural issues in every state, but no, they cannot deny you necessary medical care while incarcerated. Have your doctor prepare a statement now detailing all your meds, their importance to your health, and any other needs you might have that serve a legit medical purpose (e.g., extra calories). Know that you're not likely to get much of a say in HOW the medical care is administered in prison -- they may require that you get CPT instead of the vest, for example, or they may require you rise extra early for treatments, etc. I would also have the doctor write down conditions that may be unacceptable for your health as a CFer (e.g., bunking with prisoners who show sign of infectious disease, mold, lack of access to toilets for prolonged periods of time). Basically, cover ever contingency, because you want to be able to clearly document that you provided the state with as much information about your health needs as possible.
<br />
<br />Definitely make SURE that you have all this information available for the judge and prison officials BEFORE you are sentenced.

krisgabes

In addition to NYCLawGirl's suggestions, you may also want to request speaking with a social worker in reference to helping you put this regimen together. I worked at Legal Aid for criminal defense and the inmates with medical issues were typically assigned a social worker to help them through the process.

krisgabes

In addition to NYCLawGirl's suggestions, you may also want to request speaking with a social worker in reference to helping you put this regimen together. I worked at Legal Aid for criminal defense and the inmates with medical issues were typically assigned a social worker to help them through the process.

krisgabes

krisgabes

krisgabes

mma4life

i appreciate all the advice, and information, i hope you all dnt judge me to harshly on because of this post, but thank you all

mma4life

i appreciate all the advice, and information, i hope you all dnt judge me to harshly on because of this post, but thank you all

mma4life

mma4life

mma4life

RitaSonnenberg

Some people are going to judge you just because....
Then there are others out there that won't judge you. I was arrested when I was 16 for drunk driving. It had nothing to do with CF. I didn't serve any jail time though. THANK GOD! But, most older people have done things when they were younger that was questionable, and if they say they didn't then they've led some boring years. Back when I was your age, life was a party to me. And boy did i party!! Looking back now, I know I had some pretty great times and wonder how I survived. I wouldn't go back and relive them tho knowing what I know now. But Good Luck in however length of time you have to serve as a result of doing whatever it was you did. It happens, and you move on.... but never quit being true to yourself.

RitaSonnenberg

Then there are others out there that won't judge you. I was arrested when I was 16 for drunk driving. It had nothing to do with CF. I didn't serve any jail time though. THANK GOD! But, most older people have done things when they were younger that was questionable, and if they say they didn't then they've led some boring years. Back when I was your age, life was a party to me. And boy did i party!! Looking back now, I know I had some pretty great times and wonder how I survived. I wouldn't go back and relive them tho knowing what I know now. But Good Luck in however length of time you have to serve as a result of doing whatever it was you did. It happens, and you move on.... but never quit being true to yourself.

RitaSonnenberg

RitaSonnenberg

RitaSonnenberg

<br />Then there are others out there that won't judge you. I was arrested when I was 16 for drunk driving. It had nothing to do with CF. I didn't serve any jail time though. THANK GOD! But, most older people have done things when they were younger that was questionable, and if they say they didn't then they've led some boring years. Back when I was your age, life was a party to me. And boy did i party!! Looking back now, I know I had some pretty great times and wonder how I survived. I wouldn't go back and relive them tho knowing what I know now. But Good Luck in however length of time you have to serve as a result of doing whatever it was you did. It happens, and you move on.... but never quit being true to yourself.