MI in my newborn

ajb900

My newborn had meconium ileus as well at birth. She was transferred to the NICU at 1 day old. They started enemas and ended up perferating her intestines which led to emergency surgery when she was just 4 days old. She ended up with an ileostomy. We were diagnosed with CF when she was about 2 weeks old. We were pretty devasted. No CF in our families and had no idea we were each carriers. This is our first baby. We stayed in the NICU for 1 month and were able to bring her home (ileostomy and all) on April 24. We were first told she would have ostomy reversed in 6 weeks. When 6 weeks came, the surgeon threw us a curve ball and now says she wants to wait until our baby is 6 MONTHS old! We're doing the best we can with the osotmy but we're about to go back to work and I'm a nervous wreck. I could use some advice on how to deal with an ostomy and how to deal with CF in general. I'm terrified to have her around other children. She's 2 months old now and hasn't met any of her cousins! I'm also trying not to stress out about upcoming surgery in 4 months, but the doctors feel so sure that she'll have another obstruction after she's reconnected. I don't understand that. Anyone else have this surgery done? How did the recovery go? How long before baby was able to eat successfully again? Gosh, I have so many questions! I want to be able to give her just breastmilk, but have been told she needs to eat Pregestimil formula (which is digusting and she hates it by itself). Why can't she have regular formula or just breastmilk? I'm so glad to have found this website and am looking forward to talking to other parents of CF babies.

ajb900

My newborn had meconium ileus as well at birth. She was transferred to the NICU at 1 day old. They started enemas and ended up perferating her intestines which led to emergency surgery when she was just 4 days old. She ended up with an ileostomy. We were diagnosed with CF when she was about 2 weeks old. We were pretty devasted. No CF in our families and had no idea we were each carriers. This is our first baby. We stayed in the NICU for 1 month and were able to bring her home (ileostomy and all) on April 24. We were first told she would have ostomy reversed in 6 weeks. When 6 weeks came, the surgeon threw us a curve ball and now says she wants to wait until our baby is 6 MONTHS old! We're doing the best we can with the osotmy but we're about to go back to work and I'm a nervous wreck. I could use some advice on how to deal with an ostomy and how to deal with CF in general. I'm terrified to have her around other children. She's 2 months old now and hasn't met any of her cousins! I'm also trying not to stress out about upcoming surgery in 4 months, but the doctors feel so sure that she'll have another obstruction after she's reconnected. I don't understand that. Anyone else have this surgery done? How did the recovery go? How long before baby was able to eat successfully again? Gosh, I have so many questions! I want to be able to give her just breastmilk, but have been told she needs to eat Pregestimil formula (which is digusting and she hates it by itself). Why can't she have regular formula or just breastmilk? I'm so glad to have found this website and am looking forward to talking to other parents of CF babies.

ajb900

ajb900

ajb900

ashmomo

Hi all of you! I am so glad to have found this post! My daughter was born May 6 and is still in the hospital recovering from MI surgery. She also has an ostomy and I am told they will be reconnecting around the 25 of this month. jenstem: were they able to reconnect your sons intestines? I hope all is going well for you...my first daughter was also in for 3 weeks (not as long as this time and no surgery, but still rough) and after 4 four years that is so behind us...it is just really hard 'in the moment'. I am having a hard time with this one cuz it is such a long time and knowing she has to have another surgery is devestating!

ajb900: did they say your daughter has a 'micro colon' and that is why she can't be reconnected? That is what is being said about my daughter. (they aren't sending her home from the hospital though until after the next surgery, I'm surprised you got to take her home! You are going through alot of work!) They have started to take the digested food out of her ostomy bag and are feeding that through her bottom half to 'train' her colon. I guess it is something quite new and hasn't been done much, but it makes perfect sense. I am surprised they will be waiting 6 months! In the beginning the docs told me no more than 6 weeks! I am so sorry you are dealing with this for such a long period of time. At least she is home with you though even though I know you are probably exhausted! (where will your little one stay while you work?)
I am pumping and she is receiving my breastmilk...she is only getting a small amount (she is now up to 15ml every 3 hours) She is dependent on her IV.
My little one is also having problem with a nasty wet cough. She is being treated with Pulmozyme, Albuteral, and TOBI. Antibiotics were not helping so they discontinued those for a while but have now started another. And now she has Thrust too so she is being treated for that. Soo much for such a little thing! You or anyone can check out her blog at <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://jordinlyn.blogspot.com">http://jordinlyn.blogspot.com</a> She is adorable!
I would love to keep in touch!

ashmomo

Hi all of you! I am so glad to have found this post! My daughter was born May 6 and is still in the hospital recovering from MI surgery. She also has an ostomy and I am told they will be reconnecting around the 25 of this month. jenstem: were they able to reconnect your sons intestines? I hope all is going well for you...my first daughter was also in for 3 weeks (not as long as this time and no surgery, but still rough) and after 4 four years that is so behind us...it is just really hard 'in the moment'. I am having a hard time with this one cuz it is such a long time and knowing she has to have another surgery is devestating!

ajb900: did they say your daughter has a 'micro colon' and that is why she can't be reconnected? That is what is being said about my daughter. (they aren't sending her home from the hospital though until after the next surgery, I'm surprised you got to take her home! You are going through alot of work!) They have started to take the digested food out of her ostomy bag and are feeding that through her bottom half to 'train' her colon. I guess it is something quite new and hasn't been done much, but it makes perfect sense. I am surprised they will be waiting 6 months! In the beginning the docs told me no more than 6 weeks! I am so sorry you are dealing with this for such a long period of time. At least she is home with you though even though I know you are probably exhausted! (where will your little one stay while you work?)
I am pumping and she is receiving my breastmilk...she is only getting a small amount (she is now up to 15ml every 3 hours) She is dependent on her IV.
My little one is also having problem with a nasty wet cough. She is being treated with Pulmozyme, Albuteral, and TOBI. Antibiotics were not helping so they discontinued those for a while but have now started another. And now she has Thrust too so she is being treated for that. Soo much for such a little thing! You or anyone can check out her blog at <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://jordinlyn.blogspot.com">http://jordinlyn.blogspot.com</a> She is adorable!

ashmomo

ashmomo

ashmomo

<br />
<br />ajb900: did they say your daughter has a 'micro colon' and that is why she can't be reconnected? That is what is being said about my daughter. (they aren't sending her home from the hospital though until after the next surgery, I'm surprised you got to take her home! You are going through alot of work!) They have started to take the digested food out of her ostomy bag and are feeding that through her bottom half to 'train' her colon. I guess it is something quite new and hasn't been done much, but it makes perfect sense. I am surprised they will be waiting 6 months! In the beginning the docs told me no more than 6 weeks! I am so sorry you are dealing with this for such a long period of time. At least she is home with you though even though I know you are probably exhausted! (where will your little one stay while you work?)
<br />I am pumping and she is receiving my breastmilk...she is only getting a small amount (she is now up to 15ml every 3 hours) She is dependent on her IV.
<br />My little one is also having problem with a nasty wet cough. She is being treated with Pulmozyme, Albuteral, and TOBI. Antibiotics were not helping so they discontinued those for a while but have now started another. And now she has Thrust too so she is being treated for that. Soo much for such a little thing! You or anyone can check out her blog at <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://jordinlyn.blogspot.com">http://jordinlyn.blogspot.com</a> She is adorable!
<br />I would love to keep in touch!

ajb900

We were originally told 6 weeks, too. Then she was doing so well in the hospital they said we could bring her home as long as we felt like we could handle the ostomy for few weeks. We were thinking we could do anything for 2 weeks, so we agreed to take her home Hind sight being 20/20, I'm not sure that was the best idea. The surgeon is a terrible communicator, but she said the risks of surgery are so much less in a 6 months old. So, here we are. I don't think they are worried about the micro-colon. We have asked everyone if they think it will be a problem and no one seems to think so. But what your doctors are doing seems like a great idea! I might ask someone about doing that for my girl.
I'm back at work (because I carry the insurance) and my husband is having to stay home with the baby. No one else would be able to handle her with the ostomy at this time. Then last week, the baby's ostomy prolapsed. What a mess. We are taking her to the surgeon weekly to monitor it, but its making the care a lot more difficult. I am so glad she's home with us, though. She brings us so much joy and laughter. She's almost 3 months and is changing every day.

ajb900

We were originally told 6 weeks, too. Then she was doing so well in the hospital they said we could bring her home as long as we felt like we could handle the ostomy for few weeks. We were thinking we could do anything for 2 weeks, so we agreed to take her home Hind sight being 20/20, I'm not sure that was the best idea. The surgeon is a terrible communicator, but she said the risks of surgery are so much less in a 6 months old. So, here we are. I don't think they are worried about the micro-colon. We have asked everyone if they think it will be a problem and no one seems to think so. But what your doctors are doing seems like a great idea! I might ask someone about doing that for my girl.
I'm back at work (because I carry the insurance) and my husband is having to stay home with the baby. No one else would be able to handle her with the ostomy at this time. Then last week, the baby's ostomy prolapsed. What a mess. We are taking her to the surgeon weekly to monitor it, but its making the care a lot more difficult. I am so glad she's home with us, though. She brings us so much joy and laughter. She's almost 3 months and is changing every day.

ajb900

ajb900

ajb900

<br />I'm back at work (because I carry the insurance) and my husband is having to stay home with the baby. No one else would be able to handle her with the ostomy at this time. Then last week, the baby's ostomy prolapsed. What a mess. We are taking her to the surgeon weekly to monitor it, but its making the care a lot more difficult. I am so glad she's home with us, though. She brings us so much joy and laughter. She's almost 3 months and is changing every day.