"mild" form of the disease

anonymous

Hey anonymous
I don't remember what my PFTs were when I was pregnant - they are in the 60's-70s now, though my docs have never taken my PFTs too seriously, because they have alwasy been sorta low for the fact that I have never been hospitalized and have no problem remaining active - but I'd guess they were probably in the 70s at that time.

I had no problem gaining weight either. I gained the required 25 lbs that they want you to gain when you are pregnant. I do take enzymes (3-4 Creon 20s with meals). I did drink Ensure shakes for my pregnancy. I don't use any shakes regularly, as I seem to have no problem gaining weight, but because I didn't have the world's best eating habits, I drank the Ensures for the extra vitamin boost.
Currently I go to the CF clinic 2x a year. Before I was pregnant I went once a year. When I first got pregnant, I went to tell them that I was and get all my lung stuff checked out, and I was supposed to go again in my third trimester, but my baby came early and I never made that appointment.

I was diagnosed as gestational diabetic; apparently, diabetes being prevalent in CF, we are more at risk for GD -- though I question my diagnosis. My glucose level was 166 and the cut off is 160. I was sent to a dietician, who based soley on the fact that I have Cf, put me on this crazy 3000 calorie a day diet. Needless to say, I didn't follow the diet, continued to eat whatever I wanted and I gained the necessary weight - I did monitor my blood sugars, but I did not follow any diabetic diets when I was pregnant and my sugars were always normal.

My son came 5 weeks early, which I was told that a lot of CF mom's deliver early (anyone else deliver early out there?), but my son was perfectly healthy and went right home from the hospital (the menigitis I mentioned in the other post is a whole other story!).

Overall, my pregnancy was uneventtful. The only one moment that was a little hairy was during some severe contractions I had to start coughing and it was really really painful to have my uterus contracting while the rest of my body was contracting with coughing- it scared me a little bit - but it only happened once and the rest of the delivery was painful but fine.

If your health is stable, and your docs are willing to work with you, I think pregnancy can be really great. I've only met one other CF mom here where I live (we just met breifly at a lcinic visit) and I don't know her story enough to know if my expereince was "normal" or not.

We are trying for another baby, but it has been almost 15 months with no luck, so that is leaving me kind of annoyed. My first was conceived the first time I tried!
Good luck!

--wanderlost (28W/CF)

Dea

Hi there,
I also am a CF mom. I am now 32 and have a healthy 7 year old daughter. My pfts were in the high 70s when I became pregnant...and had no lung trouble throughout the pregnancy. I also delivered early at a little over 4 weeks before the due date. I also was diagnosed with gestational diabetes...and 6 months later did get full blown CF related diabetes. I did well throughout my pregnancy...and gained not quite 20 pounds...but doctors were happy with the gain. I have always take pancreatic enzymes as well. During my pregnancy, I was the healthiest I have ever been...isnt that funny. I also have CF related arthritis ...really bad...and during my pregnancy it stayed in a dormant state...I didnt have any flare ups at all. It was great! I still have good lung function at about 72%. I would be more than happy to answer any questions. Good Luck!
Dea