Military Families & Base Pharmacies

Liza

Yes, it is all a pain in the rear. Unfortunantly it's something you just have to accept. MTF pharmacies just don't take phone or fax prescriptions, they never have. Later on if you ever decide to try out the mail order pharmacy it too is a big fat pain in the you know what when you first get started. We started using it when our oldest went back to school post transplant. The hospital does have a budget, consider all the A/D, dependents and retired members it has to deal with. We were never able to get them to supply TOBI but we did get Pulmozyme, Enzymes, ADEK & Zithromax. Yes, it's a benefit and we should be able to get every med. we/our kids need but we are talking high dollar here, extremely high dollar and sometimes we have to just suck it up. We just paid the co-pay and got it filled through the CFF pharmacy (which by the way is a network pharmacy) or local retail pharmacy. It's $9.

As for the antibiotic though... how are things with the peds. clinic itself? The staff? I realize that now it is more common for your pediatrician to be TAD/TDY these days and you're stuck with a different PCM when they're gone. What are the chances that the CF doc can call and talk with the OIC of the clinic and tell them what your kids need and then a script be written so you can pick it up and fill it at the base pharmacy? Unfortunantly again, waiting at the pharmacy is something that's been going on for decades and it seems they never quite make it into the 21st century. Believe it or not, it's only been a few years that they can actually send the prescription directly to the pharmacy without having to actually write you a script that you hand carry to the pharmacy down the hall to be filled. As for having to activate your prescription... It's those of them that didn't pick up their prescriptions once they were filled that screwed it up for the rest of us. Why waste man power filling a script that doesn't get picked up?

Yea, it sucks but believe me things have improved from the way things used to be. I'm typing here from experience. My husband and I were born into the military and lived it until he retired just three years ago after 26 yrs of service. From a time when going to a doctor's appointment was literally an all day event, from having to wait an hour or two past your appt. time just to be seen then another hour or so to fill your prescription. But those were the "old" days back in the 70's. And that's just the way it was.

Try talking to the OIC and discussing the issue of your children's PCM being on TAD/TDY. Explain, yes again, Cystic Fibrosis and that they attend a specialy clinic and that it's an hour's drive away. Tell him/her about issues that have arisen with prescriptions when the PCM is gone and if there is a way that it can eleveated. Perhaps if the CF doc. by name, the one they were referred to even, can call someone there at the clinic when a prescription is needed and then a written script then be done so that you can have it filled at the base pharmacy. Maybe, just maybe, it will help for future scripts. There should also be a.... dang I forget exactly what they are called... almost like a "customer" relations person at the hospital. But don't start at the top, try the clinic first.

If you decide to try, I hope it helps.

Liza

Yes, it is all a pain in the rear. Unfortunantly it's something you just have to accept. MTF pharmacies just don't take phone or fax prescriptions, they never have. Later on if you ever decide to try out the mail order pharmacy it too is a big fat pain in the you know what when you first get started. We started using it when our oldest went back to school post transplant. The hospital does have a budget, consider all the A/D, dependents and retired members it has to deal with. We were never able to get them to supply TOBI but we did get Pulmozyme, Enzymes, ADEK & Zithromax. Yes, it's a benefit and we should be able to get every med. we/our kids need but we are talking high dollar here, extremely high dollar and sometimes we have to just suck it up. We just paid the co-pay and got it filled through the CFF pharmacy (which by the way is a network pharmacy) or local retail pharmacy. It's $9.

As for the antibiotic though... how are things with the peds. clinic itself? The staff? I realize that now it is more common for your pediatrician to be TAD/TDY these days and you're stuck with a different PCM when they're gone. What are the chances that the CF doc can call and talk with the OIC of the clinic and tell them what your kids need and then a script be written so you can pick it up and fill it at the base pharmacy? Unfortunantly again, waiting at the pharmacy is something that's been going on for decades and it seems they never quite make it into the 21st century. Believe it or not, it's only been a few years that they can actually send the prescription directly to the pharmacy without having to actually write you a script that you hand carry to the pharmacy down the hall to be filled. As for having to activate your prescription... It's those of them that didn't pick up their prescriptions once they were filled that screwed it up for the rest of us. Why waste man power filling a script that doesn't get picked up?

Yea, it sucks but believe me things have improved from the way things used to be. I'm typing here from experience. My husband and I were born into the military and lived it until he retired just three years ago after 26 yrs of service. From a time when going to a doctor's appointment was literally an all day event, from having to wait an hour or two past your appt. time just to be seen then another hour or so to fill your prescription. But those were the "old" days back in the 70's. And that's just the way it was.

Try talking to the OIC and discussing the issue of your children's PCM being on TAD/TDY. Explain, yes again, Cystic Fibrosis and that they attend a specialy clinic and that it's an hour's drive away. Tell him/her about issues that have arisen with prescriptions when the PCM is gone and if there is a way that it can eleveated. Perhaps if the CF doc. by name, the one they were referred to even, can call someone there at the clinic when a prescription is needed and then a written script then be done so that you can have it filled at the base pharmacy. Maybe, just maybe, it will help for future scripts. There should also be a.... dang I forget exactly what they are called... almost like a "customer" relations person at the hospital. But don't start at the top, try the clinic first.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br /> As for the antibiotic though... how are things with the peds. clinic itself? The staff? I realize that now it is more common for your pediatrician to be TAD/TDY these days and you're stuck with a different PCM when they're gone. What are the chances that the CF doc can call and talk with the OIC of the clinic and tell them what your kids need and then a script be written so you can pick it up and fill it at the base pharmacy? Unfortunantly again, waiting at the pharmacy is something that's been going on for decades and it seems they never quite make it into the 21st century. Believe it or not, it's only been a few years that they can actually send the prescription directly to the pharmacy without having to actually write you a script that you hand carry to the pharmacy down the hall to be filled. As for having to activate your prescription... It's those of them that didn't pick up their prescriptions once they were filled that screwed it up for the rest of us. Why waste man power filling a script that doesn't get picked up?
<br />
<br />Yea, it sucks but believe me things have improved from the way things used to be. I'm typing here from experience. My husband and I were born into the military and lived it until he retired just three years ago after 26 yrs of service. From a time when going to a doctor's appointment was literally an all day event, from having to wait an hour or two past your appt. time just to be seen then another hour or so to fill your prescription. But those were the "old" days back in the 70's. And that's just the way it was.
<br />
<br />Try talking to the OIC and discussing the issue of your children's PCM being on TAD/TDY. Explain, yes again, Cystic Fibrosis and that they attend a specialy clinic and that it's an hour's drive away. Tell him/her about issues that have arisen with prescriptions when the PCM is gone and if there is a way that it can eleveated. Perhaps if the CF doc. by name, the one they were referred to even, can call someone there at the clinic when a prescription is needed and then a written script then be done so that you can have it filled at the base pharmacy. Maybe, just maybe, it will help for future scripts. There should also be a.... dang I forget exactly what they are called... almost like a "customer" relations person at the hospital. But don't start at the top, try the clinic first.
<br />
<br />If you decide to try, I hope it helps.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

B

brewz2

Well, I'm much calmer today, and yes, I do use tmop for the enzymes for both of my children. We've been able to get our tobi at this base for the past three years, and it frustrates me that they can't get it right now b/c it's the end of the year. While I understand it, it still frustrates me. Our ped. doc. at the base (who is in italy until nov) always has taken care of whatever it is we need. I don't know what it is she does, but she always made it happen. When she comes back, i'm gonna make an appt to find out where the crack in the system came from while she was gone. Typically when my kids need an antibiotic, the CF clinic would call our ped doc., and then she would enter it in the system, and all was well - we would pick it up and things were great. I've learned from yesterday that DOD regs have to make exceptions, and this is one of them. My husband is going to be making a few calls from here to get everything straightened out, whether it be by noting in the system to allow the docs there to accept phone-in prescriptions or what, but I don't want to have to go through what I did yesterday again. I realize that I could go pay for the antibiotics, and it would be so much easier, but what bugs me is that I shouldn't have to. Besides the fact that we live about 20 - 25 minutes away from the closest pharmacy. It's a new day, and hopefully both kids are on their way to feeling better soon!

B

brewz2

Well, I'm much calmer today, and yes, I do use tmop for the enzymes for both of my children. We've been able to get our tobi at this base for the past three years, and it frustrates me that they can't get it right now b/c it's the end of the year. While I understand it, it still frustrates me. Our ped. doc. at the base (who is in italy until nov) always has taken care of whatever it is we need. I don't know what it is she does, but she always made it happen. When she comes back, i'm gonna make an appt to find out where the crack in the system came from while she was gone. Typically when my kids need an antibiotic, the CF clinic would call our ped doc., and then she would enter it in the system, and all was well - we would pick it up and things were great. I've learned from yesterday that DOD regs have to make exceptions, and this is one of them. My husband is going to be making a few calls from here to get everything straightened out, whether it be by noting in the system to allow the docs there to accept phone-in prescriptions or what, but I don't want to have to go through what I did yesterday again. I realize that I could go pay for the antibiotics, and it would be so much easier, but what bugs me is that I shouldn't have to. Besides the fact that we live about 20 - 25 minutes away from the closest pharmacy. It's a new day, and hopefully both kids are on their way to feeling better soon!

B

brewz2

B

brewz2

B

brewz2