Minocycline Side Effects?

So lately I've had this particularly nasty cough, and I usually take Levaquin to treat the bacteria I have, but it hasn't been helping, so I've been trying new antibiotics to treat it. I've been taking Minocycline 5 days now and the good news is my cough has calmed down loads, but the bad news is I've been nauseous constantly since I started taking it. I wanted to tough it out because it was helping my cough, so I tried just sticking to taking probiotics / eating yogurt / only taking the medicine with food and all that to try to help calm my stomach. The weird part is my stomach doesn't really hurt at all. It feels more like my blood sugar is constantly low (nauseous, sort of light-headed, and just over-all weak and tired feeling) and I'm always really hungry and thirsty, but no amount of eating or staying hydrated seems to make the nausea stop.

I was just wondering if anyone else has been on minocycline and experienced something similar, because the medicine is clearly helping my lungs and i don't want to stop taking it if it's just a coincidence that my sugars have been low while I've been on it or something. This is the first antibiotic that has really helped and I didn't have an allergic reaction to, so I'm hesitant to try to switch again!

Twistofchaos

Sounds like typical messing up of your gut flora/bacteria because of the antibiotic but perhaps not antibiotic specific.
5 days is perhaps a short time for it to restore. It usually does for me even when I'm still on the antibiotic. Then usually another couple days of discomfort after stopping.

Did you let your doctor know about this?

What's your dosage?
I've been using a low dose of 50/100mg Minocycline as maintenance antibiotic for many years to good effect compared to other antibiotics.

Hello, thank you for your response! I don't remember the dosage at the moment and I don't have the bottle on me. But I did (eventually) call my doctor and he ended up prescribing Zofran to take an hour before each dose of the Minocycline. Thankfully it's been helping, I was just trying to find another possible method to lessen the side effect before I went ahead and added an anti-nausea med. I only have one more week left of the Mino now, so it should be good - thanks a lot though!