Miralax

grassisgreener

My daughter was on it for about a year and a half, 18months old until almost 3 years old, taking 1/2 capful everyday. She was having a really difficult time with her stool being like little hard pebbles. The problem seemed to solve itself once we added much more fiber to her diet and probiotics. She only takes it every once in a while now, maybe 2-3 days every couple of months. I didn't like her on it long-term because it causes a lazy bowel which means that the bowel gets used to not having to work to pass a movement, which means that even if the stool were soft enough w/o the softener, the bowel still may struggle to pass it. Obviously a lazy bowel is better than a blocked bowel but you may be able to find other ways of avoiding constipation too. HTH!

grassisgreener

My daughter was on it for about a year and a half, 18months old until almost 3 years old, taking 1/2 capful everyday. She was having a really difficult time with her stool being like little hard pebbles. The problem seemed to solve itself once we added much more fiber to her diet and probiotics. She only takes it every once in a while now, maybe 2-3 days every couple of months. I didn't like her on it long-term because it causes a lazy bowel which means that the bowel gets used to not having to work to pass a movement, which means that even if the stool were soft enough w/o the softener, the bowel still may struggle to pass it. Obviously a lazy bowel is better than a blocked bowel but you may be able to find other ways of avoiding constipation too. HTH!

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

kate620

Oh my goodness..is constipation related to cf? My daughter has been on Miralax for about 6 yrs and I was always told they don't know why she is constipated from like 2 cf docs. And I told them that I was worried about her having to take that everyday and was never told about a lazy rectal. I'm glad to know at least mine is not the only one. What is it that makes them constipated??

kate620

Oh my goodness..is constipation related to cf? My daughter has been on Miralax for about 6 yrs and I was always told they don't know why she is constipated from like 2 cf docs. And I told them that I was worried about her having to take that everyday and was never told about a lazy rectal. I'm glad to know at least mine is not the only one. What is it that makes them constipated??

kate620

kate620

kate620

camperscove

My son takes 3/4 of a cap full every other day, and has for about a year. I completely echo what Amber said about holding poop and perpetuating the problem. I would ask your doctor about the long-term effects of Miralax. What we've been told is that it is NOT a stimulant, but simply acts as a sponge and adds fluid to the stool to make it easier to pass. I think this why it is available OTC now.

camperscove

My son takes 3/4 of a cap full every other day, and has for about a year. I completely echo what Amber said about holding poop and perpetuating the problem. I would ask your doctor about the long-term effects of Miralax. What we've been told is that it is NOT a stimulant, but simply acts as a sponge and adds fluid to the stool to make it easier to pass. I think this why it is available OTC now.

camperscove

camperscove

camperscove