Modifier genes?

luv2run

I have recently read a post that had mentioned "modifier genes." Has anyone heard any studies on this? I'm curious...I have DDF508 and have been very healthy. From my understanding, DDF508 is a (well 2 copies of) significant mutations. What's the deal?

Thanks
Luci

luv2run

I have recently read a post that had mentioned "modifier genes." Has anyone heard any studies on this? I'm curious...I have DDF508 and have been very healthy. From my understanding, DDF508 is a (well 2 copies of) significant mutations. What's the deal?

Thanks
Luci

luv2run

Thanks
Luci

luv2run

Thanks
Luci

luv2run

<br />
<br />Thanks
<br />Luci

Juliet

I'm curious too. My two genes (one is DF508) the other is one that would be expected to cause severe CF. But they also found a third mutation that Ambry called a 'novel variant'. When I called them it was a new one, and they didn't have any info on what it's role might be. I won't say I'm very healthy, but having only been DXd at 43 speaks for itself I think. ~Juliet

Juliet

I'm curious too. My two genes (one is DF508) the other is one that would be expected to cause severe CF. But they also found a third mutation that Ambry called a 'novel variant'. When I called them it was a new one, and they didn't have any info on what it's role might be. I won't say I'm very healthy, but having only been DXd at 43 speaks for itself I think. ~Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

rubyroselee

At my last clinic appointment, my doctor mentioned that I must have a modifier gene that helps keep me healthy. I also have DDF508. I'd be interested to know more on this, but I wonder if these modifiers are sort of a new finding in CF patients?

rubyroselee

At my last clinic appointment, my doctor mentioned that I must have a modifier gene that helps keep me healthy. I also have DDF508. I'd be interested to know more on this, but I wonder if these modifiers are sort of a new finding in CF patients?

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

igotalife

i just had a lengthy discussion with a genetecist about this so i'll pass on the info.
basically they feel that you can't classify a cfers overall health merely by their mutations. meaning you can't classify their prognosis. you can def tell some things by spec mutation-like pancreatic insufficiency and 'some' lung related things, but overall it shouldn't be a mark on your forehead.

one of the main reasons why is bc of modifier genes. 2 brothers can have the same cf mutations but very different symptoms and prognosis...this is bc of modifier genes. basically a fancy term for your makeup...it can even explain why 2 kids from a broken up abusive background could deal with trauma differently. genetic background, genetic 'strength' if you will.

modifier genes can cause part of the defective cell to work, or cause a replacing way for salt and chemicals to get through the cells to help symptoms of cf. or they can cause a stronger immune system..and so on.

they are considering typing or identifying modifier genes. some in the cf community don't think they should be makign the efforts to do this though, bc they fear it will contribute to the mindset of labeling cfers. geno-typing has done this too. for the good or bad, cfers thinking they have 'mild' mutations and not being compliant, or thinking their mutation is a death sentence.

i think it would be interesting for the sake of research to know more about modifier genes. the docs think that i have a strong modifier gene. but i see the double edged sword theory in it. i also see more value in putting research into drugs and therapies to help.

igotalife

i just had a lengthy discussion with a genetecist about this so i'll pass on the info.
basically they feel that you can't classify a cfers overall health merely by their mutations. meaning you can't classify their prognosis. you can def tell some things by spec mutation-like pancreatic insufficiency and 'some' lung related things, but overall it shouldn't be a mark on your forehead.

one of the main reasons why is bc of modifier genes. 2 brothers can have the same cf mutations but very different symptoms and prognosis...this is bc of modifier genes. basically a fancy term for your makeup...it can even explain why 2 kids from a broken up abusive background could deal with trauma differently. genetic background, genetic 'strength' if you will.

modifier genes can cause part of the defective cell to work, or cause a replacing way for salt and chemicals to get through the cells to help symptoms of cf. or they can cause a stronger immune system..and so on.

they are considering typing or identifying modifier genes. some in the cf community don't think they should be makign the efforts to do this though, bc they fear it will contribute to the mindset of labeling cfers. geno-typing has done this too. for the good or bad, cfers thinking they have 'mild' mutations and not being compliant, or thinking their mutation is a death sentence.

i think it would be interesting for the sake of research to know more about modifier genes. the docs think that i have a strong modifier gene. but i see the double edged sword theory in it. i also see more value in putting research into drugs and therapies to help.

igotalife

igotalife

igotalife

<br />basically they feel that you can't classify a cfers overall health merely by their mutations. meaning you can't classify their prognosis. you can def tell some things by spec mutation-like pancreatic insufficiency and 'some' lung related things, but overall it shouldn't be a mark on your forehead.
<br />
<br />one of the main reasons why is bc of modifier genes. 2 brothers can have the same cf mutations but very different symptoms and prognosis...this is bc of modifier genes. basically a fancy term for your makeup...it can even explain why 2 kids from a broken up abusive background could deal with trauma differently. genetic background, genetic 'strength' if you will.
<br />
<br />modifier genes can cause part of the defective cell to work, or cause a replacing way for salt and chemicals to get through the cells to help symptoms of cf. or they can cause a stronger immune system..and so on.
<br />
<br />they are considering typing or identifying modifier genes. some in the cf community don't think they should be makign the efforts to do this though, bc they fear it will contribute to the mindset of labeling cfers. geno-typing has done this too. for the good or bad, cfers thinking they have 'mild' mutations and not being compliant, or thinking their mutation is a death sentence.
<br />
<br />i think it would be interesting for the sake of research to know more about modifier genes. the docs think that i have a strong modifier gene. but i see the double edged sword theory in it. i also see more value in putting research into drugs and therapies to help.