Mom of newly diagnosed baby venturing onto the site for the first time

aannddd

Hi,

I started reading this site tonight and felt such a conncetion that I decided to post. I have a 6 month old boy who was diagnosed with CF at 1 week old when his newborn screening came back positive. My husband and I new, before we even had a sweat test that he had CF. His newborn screening was postived for the gene mutation I carry Delta F508 and the one my husband carried 3659delC. For us, the sweat test was just a formality. We knew our son has CF. At two weeks he had a positive sweat test at a CF center in Boston.

After suffering terrible post partum depression and going through what I think is very similar to the stages of grief, I am finally to the point that I am ready to discuss it and get educated. His diagnosis was devasting. We knew we were carriers and had gone through PGD to get pregnant. So the postive newborn screening was a complete shock.

We have formed a walk team for Great Strides and may. We have started volunteering for our local CF chapter.

My son is doing very well. He takes Creon 5 and is growing very well. Once he finally started gaining weight at 3 weeks of age, he has been between the 75-90th percentiles at his check-ups. Although at his six month one last week he had dropped to 50-75%. He had been sick two weesk before and I think actually lost a little weight. He had put on 8 oz since his sick visit, so I think he will get back on track.

He has had three colds, one required a course of antibiotics. He gets synagis to prevent RSV.

He is such a happy baby, we are lucky that he has had no reflux issue. Our other son who is 3.5 (no cf) was a preemie. In many ways caring for him as a babu was harder then getting used to CF routine has been.

I hope to get to know you all well and best wishes for the future.

aannddd

Hi,

I started reading this site tonight and felt such a conncetion that I decided to post. I have a 6 month old boy who was diagnosed with CF at 1 week old when his newborn screening came back positive. My husband and I new, before we even had a sweat test that he had CF. His newborn screening was postived for the gene mutation I carry Delta F508 and the one my husband carried 3659delC. For us, the sweat test was just a formality. We knew our son has CF. At two weeks he had a positive sweat test at a CF center in Boston.

After suffering terrible post partum depression and going through what I think is very similar to the stages of grief, I am finally to the point that I am ready to discuss it and get educated. His diagnosis was devasting. We knew we were carriers and had gone through PGD to get pregnant. So the postive newborn screening was a complete shock.

We have formed a walk team for Great Strides and may. We have started volunteering for our local CF chapter.

My son is doing very well. He takes Creon 5 and is growing very well. Once he finally started gaining weight at 3 weeks of age, he has been between the 75-90th percentiles at his check-ups. Although at his six month one last week he had dropped to 50-75%. He had been sick two weesk before and I think actually lost a little weight. He had put on 8 oz since his sick visit, so I think he will get back on track.

He has had three colds, one required a course of antibiotics. He gets synagis to prevent RSV.

He is such a happy baby, we are lucky that he has had no reflux issue. Our other son who is 3.5 (no cf) was a preemie. In many ways caring for him as a babu was harder then getting used to CF routine has been.

aannddd

Hi,

L

lemonstolemonade

Welcome.

There is such a wealth of information on this site and in the kind minds of those who post here.

Reading your post, I had a sense of deja vu. I have a 6 month old daughter with a genetic diagnosis of CF. We struggled with weight gain for about 6 weeks, but never needed enzymes and she is pancreatic sufficient with the "expectation" that she will remain that way. She's in the 50th percentiles now.

She is on Synagis for RSV prevention, but she did get RSV and was hospitalized for it. We were fortunate because it was a MILD case.

I'm sorry you are having to go through everything. We found out through prenatal testing that our daughter would have CF after I found out that I was a carrier and then my husband was tested and was a carrier as well.

I look forward to hearing about your journey and sharing notes. Here's to lots of healthy days for your child!

Emily

L

lemonstolemonade

Welcome.

There is such a wealth of information on this site and in the kind minds of those who post here.

Reading your post, I had a sense of deja vu. I have a 6 month old daughter with a genetic diagnosis of CF. We struggled with weight gain for about 6 weeks, but never needed enzymes and she is pancreatic sufficient with the "expectation" that she will remain that way. She's in the 50th percentiles now.

She is on Synagis for RSV prevention, but she did get RSV and was hospitalized for it. We were fortunate because it was a MILD case.

I'm sorry you are having to go through everything. We found out through prenatal testing that our daughter would have CF after I found out that I was a carrier and then my husband was tested and was a carrier as well.

I look forward to hearing about your journey and sharing notes. Here's to lots of healthy days for your child!

Emily

L

lemonstolemonade

Welcome.

Emily

M

Mommafirst

Welcome to the site!!! I know the first few posts take some courage. Its easier to read, but after awhile you get to see how comforting it is to be connected with others in your same experience. I find this disease very isolating, unable to connect with other CF families for fear of our children cross-contaminating each other makes me very very sad. <br>
<br>
I'm glad your son is doing so well! My daughter was diagnosed at about 5 months -- meconium illeus at birth set us on the testing cycle but it took a long time to pin it all down. Other than the MI, she has been indecipherable from any other child. She takes enzymes, but only because her weight has dropped, as she is pancreatic sufficient. We do all the CF stuff, and hope to keep her lung function as high as possible for as long as possible.<br>
<br>
I hope you will find as much help and inspiration as I have at this site.<br>
<br>
Again, welcome!!!

M

Mommafirst

Welcome to the site!!! I know the first few posts take some courage. Its easier to read, but after awhile you get to see how comforting it is to be connected with others in your same experience. I find this disease very isolating, unable to connect with other CF families for fear of our children cross-contaminating each other makes me very very sad. <br>
<br>
I'm glad your son is doing so well! My daughter was diagnosed at about 5 months -- meconium illeus at birth set us on the testing cycle but it took a long time to pin it all down. Other than the MI, she has been indecipherable from any other child. She takes enzymes, but only because her weight has dropped, as she is pancreatic sufficient. We do all the CF stuff, and hope to keep her lung function as high as possible for as long as possible.<br>
<br>
<br>
Again, welcome!!!

M

Mommafirst

<br>
<br>
<br>
Again, welcome!!!

M

mneville

Sorry about the diagnosis but pleased he is doing well. We have a two year old who has CF and my heart just skipped a little beat reading your post b/c I am currently pregnant with a second baby having gone through IVF/PGD process.

We have not done the amnio to confirm results. WHat doctor did you use? What IVF clinic? I am scared that a mistake could have been made as we knew it was not 100% accurate. Now i am really scared, could anyone explain how it happened?

Megan, mom to Aidan (CF) and expecting #2

M

mneville

Sorry about the diagnosis but pleased he is doing well. We have a two year old who has CF and my heart just skipped a little beat reading your post b/c I am currently pregnant with a second baby having gone through IVF/PGD process.

We have not done the amnio to confirm results. WHat doctor did you use? What IVF clinic? I am scared that a mistake could have been made as we knew it was not 100% accurate. Now i am really scared, could anyone explain how it happened?

M

mneville

wiltonnh

I too am new to the site and felt encouraged to post upon reading the posts and felt I needed to reach out and talk.
I just gave birth to my fourth child and was unaware he had cf until the newborn screen results came back positive for two mutations. The call from the pediatrician was so surreal. My husband came into the room while I was on the phone. He was so giddy to be home from work for paternity leave-he had just ended a work call for the day. To have to tell him that Harry tested for CF broke my heart. I felt like I wanted to puke all day. I was then angry at myself for wanting another child and felt responsible for Harry being ill. Needless to say many emotions came and went that day and have continued since that call from the doctor.

I was so sad for my little guy to know that he will struggle with his health but also very happy to get appropriate meds-he is pancreatic insuffiecient and was quickly loosing a lot of weight. I am trying to not look to far into his future.

It is also handy to have three other children-you get so busy with the every day issues that you can't sit and dwell on things.

I think this is a wonderful site. I have been reading the posts and feel a bit more grounded with how I feel.

wiltonnh

I too am new to the site and felt encouraged to post upon reading the posts and felt I needed to reach out and talk.
I just gave birth to my fourth child and was unaware he had cf until the newborn screen results came back positive for two mutations. The call from the pediatrician was so surreal. My husband came into the room while I was on the phone. He was so giddy to be home from work for paternity leave-he had just ended a work call for the day. To have to tell him that Harry tested for CF broke my heart. I felt like I wanted to puke all day. I was then angry at myself for wanting another child and felt responsible for Harry being ill. Needless to say many emotions came and went that day and have continued since that call from the doctor.

I was so sad for my little guy to know that he will struggle with his health but also very happy to get appropriate meds-he is pancreatic insuffiecient and was quickly loosing a lot of weight. I am trying to not look to far into his future.

It is also handy to have three other children-you get so busy with the every day issues that you can't sit and dwell on things.

I think this is a wonderful site. I have been reading the posts and feel a bit more grounded with how I feel.

wiltonnh