Moraxella Catarrhalis

jleigh

Hi everyone....haven't posted in a while but need some info about a new bug (new to me) that just came back on my latest cultures. Along with my usual Steno, I am also culturing Moraxella Catarrhalis. Not sure if this should be of any concern. Has anyone here who has cultured this bug had any big problems because of it?? I have been pretty sick with a horrible cough and very thick green sputum. When I started getting sick, doc put me on Levaquin (per the Steno) but now this bug has popped up and I'm not sure I should be treated for this as well. Cough and sputum have lessened but I am having some significant chest pain today.

TIA for any info....

Jen 35 w/cf

P.S. Had a chest CT done last Wed...no sign of infiltrates, only a mention of a worsening of bronchiectasis on the right side. Current chest pain is on the left.

JazzysMom

OK I personally havent cultured this, but I have a friend with COPD who has & this is what I know from her. Its a bacteria that is often the cause of Sinusitis & ear infections. It is very common in people with COPD (in which of course CF is included) & does produce a green sputum. It usually can be easily treated with common antibiotics llike Augmentin, Zithromax etc. It has been known to lead to pneumonia, but more so in high immune compromised indiviudals. I am assuming if your doctor is concerned that if they feel a need to change the antibiotics that they will. Remember this is a "general" view of what I know & its not based on my knowledge of a person with CF, but I hope it helps.

jleigh

Thanks Melissa....I looked it up and that is pretty much what I found as well. I am hoping to hear from some others too who possibly have had this bug and what, if any, problems they have had.

Thank you again!

Jen 35 w/cf

anonymous

hi, i was in hospital for a month after a couple of weeks they said the treatment hadnt worked as well as they thought. So they said they were going to treat a bug called marexella or however u spell it. they said alot of cf people had it but it does affect alot of them. so i was put on ciproxin and immipenion i.vs to treat it and they did the job