More Enzyme Questions

fkewatson

Hi - another question about enzymes...if your pancreas is working fine and you take enzymes on the suspicion that pancreatic insufficiency is the reason for known malabsorption, does anything at all happen? Is it just totally benign if you don't need them, but if you do you see changes? Also, does it take time to see changes or do you begin absorbing better from the first meal that you take them with? I'm clueless about this stuff and am not getting thorough answers from our doc. Thanks in advance.

fkewatson

Hi - another question about enzymes...if your pancreas is working fine and you take enzymes on the suspicion that pancreatic insufficiency is the reason for known malabsorption, does anything at all happen? Is it just totally benign if you don't need them, but if you do you see changes? Also, does it take time to see changes or do you begin absorbing better from the first meal that you take them with? I'm clueless about this stuff and am not getting thorough answers from our doc. Thanks in advance.

fkewatson

fkewatson

fkewatson

M

Mommafirst

I don't really have an answer, but I can say this. My daughter has been tested several times and is pancreatic SUFficient. Even still, she's been having lots of issues gaining weight, so one of their efforts included putting her on enzymes anyway. Currently she takes one creon 5 with snacks and two with meals. I haven't really seen much of a difference in her stools at all, other than maybe they are less frequent -- so maybe 2-3 a day instead of 4-5. If I accidentally forget the creon, I don't notice a difference in her as far as stomach pain or stools. So this all is going to say that I don't think it is harmful to have enzymes if you don't need them.

M

Mommafirst

I don't really have an answer, but I can say this. My daughter has been tested several times and is pancreatic SUFficient. Even still, she's been having lots of issues gaining weight, so one of their efforts included putting her on enzymes anyway. Currently she takes one creon 5 with snacks and two with meals. I haven't really seen much of a difference in her stools at all, other than maybe they are less frequent -- so maybe 2-3 a day instead of 4-5. If I accidentally forget the creon, I don't notice a difference in her as far as stomach pain or stools. So this all is going to say that I don't think it is harmful to have enzymes if you don't need them.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

janddburke

when my daughter was diagnosed at 5 months they put her on enzymes.
1 Pancrease MT4.
this dose did not change for 5 years. so we tried a little experiment and didn't give with snacks etc. nothing.
we discussed with the doctor and we did eventually taper her off all her enzymes.
Which doesn't mean she wont be pancreatice insufficient in the future so we test her periodically (what fun that is)

we have seen NO adverse affects.
but yours is an excellent question I've asked myself many times.

--Debbie.

janddburke

1 Pancrease MT4.
this dose did not change for 5 years. so we tried a little experiment and didn't give with snacks etc. nothing.
we discussed with the doctor and we did eventually taper her off all her enzymes.
Which doesn't mean she wont be pancreatice insufficient in the future so we test her periodically (what fun that is)

--Debbie.

janddburke

1 Pancrease MT4.

--Debbie.

janddburke

1 Pancrease MT4.

--Debbie.

janddburke

1 Pancrease MT4.

--Debbie.