Mother's of pre-teens..

T

TonyaH

Good evening,

I think it may be time for my son to have some other CF kids to talk to. He's in the middle of his first PICC and I can tell he feels very frustrated that nobody understands what he is going through. He talks to me, but I think someone other than Mom would help. The problem is that when I go to the message boards here I notice that many in the youth section are pretty knowledgable about the prognosis of CF. Andrew and I haven't broached that subject yet. I just think it would help him to talk to other kids that go in the hospital, deal with home IVs, have breathing treatments to contend with, etc. He understands what his different meds are for, understands what CF does to the body...just doesn't understand the end result right now. I don't want him picking that up from a message board. The rest of the truth about CF will come, I know, but I don't want to throw it in his face before he's ready for it. Does this make any sense?

Andrew is 9..He'll be 10 in January. If anyone else has a child around this age whose understanding of CF is similar to Andrews, maybe they would make good
Email buddies. Let me know!

T

TonyaH

Good evening,

I think it may be time for my son to have some other CF kids to talk to. He's in the middle of his first PICC and I can tell he feels very frustrated that nobody understands what he is going through. He talks to me, but I think someone other than Mom would help. The problem is that when I go to the message boards here I notice that many in the youth section are pretty knowledgable about the prognosis of CF. Andrew and I haven't broached that subject yet. I just think it would help him to talk to other kids that go in the hospital, deal with home IVs, have breathing treatments to contend with, etc. He understands what his different meds are for, understands what CF does to the body...just doesn't understand the end result right now. I don't want him picking that up from a message board. The rest of the truth about CF will come, I know, but I don't want to throw it in his face before he's ready for it. Does this make any sense?

Andrew is 9..He'll be 10 in January. If anyone else has a child around this age whose understanding of CF is similar to Andrews, maybe they would make good

T

TonyaH

Good evening,

T

TonyaH

Good evening,

T

TonyaH

Good evening,

T

TonyaH

And let me apologize for the grammatical and punctuation errors I have found in my posts lately. We're on a 6 hour and a 12 hour iv med and I've been exhausted!

T

TonyaH

And let me apologize for the grammatical and punctuation errors I have found in my posts lately. We're on a 6 hour and a 12 hour iv med and I've been exhausted!

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

Liza

HI tonya, This is a hard one. I think the kids that come on the boards would not intentionally say something to scare your son. IF that is what you are afraid of. How much you tell your son and when is a difficult decision. I don't think we ever came right out and told our girls that they would ultimately die from CF or CF complications. It's just not something a mom or dad does. We educate our kids on their disease and teach them why they need to do their treatments and take their meds.

I agree, your son does need someone he can relate to. That is one thing my girls have said is that they had never gotten the chance to meet with any other kids that have CF. It is so important for them to be able to talk with someone else. Someone who knows what it's like. Someone his age. I hope that someone here has a son or daughter that can be an e-mail buddy for your son.

I hope he feels better soon and for you, try and get some rest. I know it's hard.

Liza

HI tonya, This is a hard one. I think the kids that come on the boards would not intentionally say something to scare your son. IF that is what you are afraid of. How much you tell your son and when is a difficult decision. I don't think we ever came right out and told our girls that they would ultimately die from CF or CF complications. It's just not something a mom or dad does. We educate our kids on their disease and teach them why they need to do their treatments and take their meds.

I agree, your son does need someone he can relate to. That is one thing my girls have said is that they had never gotten the chance to meet with any other kids that have CF. It is so important for them to be able to talk with someone else. Someone who knows what it's like. Someone his age. I hope that someone here has a son or daughter that can be an e-mail buddy for your son.

I hope he feels better soon and for you, try and get some rest. I know it's hard.

Liza

Liza

Liza

T

TonyaH

Hi Liza,
Thank you for the message..Your girls are beautiful! Stunningly beautiful! And from the pictures it looks like they are very close. You must be very proud of them!

The reason I hesitate to bring Andrew here is because of the honesty that is shared on this board. I love the honesty and experience and knowledge that is shared here and one day it will be a great resource for Andrew. Just not quite yet!

I have heard from two parents with children Andrew's age and I appreciate so much that Andrew will be able to write them and maybe get to know them a little bit. Thank you to the parents who responded to me!

T

TonyaH

Hi Liza,
Thank you for the message..Your girls are beautiful! Stunningly beautiful! And from the pictures it looks like they are very close. You must be very proud of them!

The reason I hesitate to bring Andrew here is because of the honesty that is shared on this board. I love the honesty and experience and knowledge that is shared here and one day it will be a great resource for Andrew. Just not quite yet!

I have heard from two parents with children Andrew's age and I appreciate so much that Andrew will be able to write them and maybe get to know them a little bit. Thank you to the parents who responded to me!

T

TonyaH

Hi Liza,

T

TonyaH

Hi Liza,

T

TonyaH

Hi Liza,