Moved up on the Medicaid waiting list!!!!

Haileysmommy

I just got a phone call yesterday that Hailey has moved up on the waiting list from 491 to the 30's. If all goes well she should have medicaid beginning this summer till she is 18. Here in CO they passed a new tobacco tax and the extra tax goes towards the program we are trying to get Hailey on. It's for those families that make to much for regular medicaid but have a sick child. It will pay what our regular ins dosen't cover. In 2005 we paid over 7 grand out of pocket after our insurance paid and the dr's said she was doing real good. I would hate to see what a bad year would have cost us. I just thought I could come on here and share my exciting news that we were bumped from a 5 year waitng list to a 6 month one.

anonymous

is the program Katie Beckett? i have been trying to get caleb on it but they keep telling me he doesnt qualify.

Melissa mom to dylan 7 no cf and caleb 4wcf

Haileysmommy

I think it is similar to the Katie Beckett program. Here in CO it is called HCBS medicaid waiver. The child has to be found disabled by SSI and the child can't have more than $2,000 in assets (Saving account or cash life ins policy). The parents income dosen't matter. I don't think we will have a problem as our social worker and Dr's have a way of wording thins to make them sound real bad.

anonymous

sorry another question, hehe. does your daughter have ssi? Im only asking because i applied for it (for my son) and i havent heard anything back from it. Im not even sure he qualifys.

Melissa

Haileysmommy

No she does not have SSI. We were disqualified because of income. It can take them for ever to get back to you. How long ago did you apply?

anonymous

That is WONDERFUL, Leeann! How did you find out about this program? We spent hours upon hours trying to get some financial help in 2004 and just gave up (no one was sympathetic to us since we made a couple thousand over the limit for a family of 3 - even though we were having monthly expenses of over $500 some months - YIKES!). I would like to have our daughter put on plumozyme but I don't know how we can possibly afford the $200+ co-pay. But I just feel like no one cares!

Thanks for any advice!

Haileysmommy

We found out throught the social worker at our cf clinic. She meets with everyone at every appt. This month would have been $700 but the dr wrote off our visit since we are ion the waiting list. Hailey had 2 chest x-rays, 4 abdominal ones, 7 vials of bllod drawn, stool tests, and all sorts of other stuff. Our copay is $40 +20%, we also have a $500 deductable we have to meet. Ask your social worker at your clinic. I would aslo call your cse worker at SSI they check the computer to see if they have made any progress.

anonymous

I believe the company who makes Pulmozyme has a similar program that the Tobi Foundation has. If your copay is more than say $25, then the foundation will cover the portion that insurance doesn't. Until we meet our out of pocket maximum of $1000 we have to pay $20 plus $15 per prescription. With Tobi it ran $536 the first time for a months supply. With the Tobi Foundation, we only have to pay our $15 copay. We just started Pulmozyme, so we need to check into that.

anonymous

Thank you Thank you Thank you to the previous poster about the foundations! I am going to look into that before dd's next appt!