Moving to Hawaii

etabetac

While I was searching I also found this link: state.hi.us/health/family-child-health/genetics/genetics/newpdf/CFreport2006.pdf

etabetac

While I was searching I also found this link: state.hi.us/health/family-child-health/genetics/genetics/newpdf/CFreport2006.pdf

etabetac

etabetac

etabetac

marla

Hi. We live on Oahu. My 15 year old son gets care at the cf center at Tripler. There is a center, it is a satellite clinic (affiliated with a big center in TX, forget which one). There are at least 9 cf patients at the clinic, maybe more. My son has been having some serious issues this past year, and I can assure you that he has had excellent care at Tripler. There is one doctor that handles cf patients, he has been a great doctor, allows me to call or email him whenever I want and he'll see my son without an appointment. He's made himself very available to us. If he is unsure of something, he doesn't hesitate to consult doctors at one of the larger centers. However, he is deploying this summer. He assures me that his replacement is a very good doctor, a woman that has trained at Boston Children's Hospital. The nurse that works with the clinic is also excellent. You will love Hawaii!! Your child can be so active here year round. Please PM me if you have any questions. I'd love to help in any way.

marla

Hi. We live on Oahu. My 15 year old son gets care at the cf center at Tripler. There is a center, it is a satellite clinic (affiliated with a big center in TX, forget which one). There are at least 9 cf patients at the clinic, maybe more. My son has been having some serious issues this past year, and I can assure you that he has had excellent care at Tripler. There is one doctor that handles cf patients, he has been a great doctor, allows me to call or email him whenever I want and he'll see my son without an appointment. He's made himself very available to us. If he is unsure of something, he doesn't hesitate to consult doctors at one of the larger centers. However, he is deploying this summer. He assures me that his replacement is a very good doctor, a woman that has trained at Boston Children's Hospital. The nurse that works with the clinic is also excellent. You will love Hawaii!! Your child can be so active here year round. Please PM me if you have any questions. I'd love to help in any way.

marla

marla

marla

marla

Oh, in response to another poster's point about making sure there is a cf "team", there is a team at the Tripler cf clinic. On clinic days, you will see the nutrionist, psychologist, social worker, gastrologist, etc.

marla

Oh, in response to another poster's point about making sure there is a cf "team", there is a team at the Tripler cf clinic. On clinic days, you will see the nutrionist, psychologist, social worker, gastrologist, etc.

marla

marla

marla

foxmr2

Hawaii

I have Cystic Fibrosis and want to move away from this cold weather I want to live in a vacation spot somewhere warm with a beach and Hawaii is my first choice but I am scared if they don't know much I see you posted 3 years ago and am wondering what you have found out and if you made the move or not, please get back to me I am really serious about this, Thank you so much

I looked on the CCF.ORG website for a care center and there is one. We are moving there in later July, my Husband is in the Navy and is being stationed there for 2 years. I looked at their stats and they only have 2 patients there? I am really concerned about this and am hoping she can get the care she needs in Hawaii. She also on a feeding pump at night, needs her nebulizer and we also use an electric CPT machine instead of the palm cups. I tried calling the center, but our time difference is huge so I am going to be trying again later today. I just wanted some in put if possible from others out there!
Thank you!

mstehlin

What city would have the best combination of good CF center, and good weather? A transplant center nearby would be a plus too.

stonefly07

I live in Fort Myers FL right near the beach. I moved down here from Vermont 3 1/2 years ago and it's been wonderful. My last 3 years in Vermont I was in the Hospital every 3 months like clock work and the years before at lest 3 times. I moved to FL because of the salt water air and it being warm all year round. I haven't been in the hospital since! I swear by this salt water air and warm weather! I go to a CF Center in Tampa which is 2 hours North of me and they are wonderful. Just something for you to think about.......

ehtansky21

We have just recently moved back to the mainland from the Big Island of Hawaii. The reason for moving back is the lack of healthcare, basically anywhere on the islands. We did see a pediatric pulmonologist on Oahu, who seemed a little knowledgeable, but was not pleasant to be around:( I was the one that was in control of my boys' care and was not comfortable with that, especially when we had a possible exacerbation!!! The other issue with Hawaii, is that there is a high occurrence of cultures with Mycobacterium (I believe) that is quite difficult to get rid of CFers...
It is a beautiful place to visit, but I would not move there again. We did see great health from the ocean air though, so we are trying to work our way to southern california!

blessings,
missa