MRSA and Jobs in Medical Field

karenanne99

Hey,
I am in university taking business but all throughout high school I was taking sciences in hopes of becoming a radiographer. I found out i was MRSA positive about a year ago and was told i could not ever work in a hospital while I was positive for it (they say it almost never goes away.) Because of this I am in the business program and miss science and the thought of a medical career so much!! Is it really true that if you have mrsa you cannot work in hospitals? I realize that I am looking into it too late...I have already started a degree in something else but if I found out I could work in the medical field I would switch programs in a second...Anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks so much,
Karen

karenanne99

Hey,
I am in university taking business but all throughout high school I was taking sciences in hopes of becoming a radiographer. I found out i was MRSA positive about a year ago and was told i could not ever work in a hospital while I was positive for it (they say it almost never goes away.) Because of this I am in the business program and miss science and the thought of a medical career so much!! Is it really true that if you have mrsa you cannot work in hospitals? I realize that I am looking into it too late...I have already started a degree in something else but if I found out I could work in the medical field I would switch programs in a second...Anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks so much,
Karen

karenanne99

Hey,

Thanks so much,
Karen

NoExcuses

in the hospitals you come across the elderly and the other immunocompromised frequently.

in my mind, it is immoral and unethical to knowingly expose such vulnerable people to virulent bacteria such as MRSA.

i went through the same issue with my career. i wanted to go into oncology drug sales. but those who are on chemo are immunocompromised and often get PA infections. since i am colonized with PA, i would never knowlingly be around people in my career or otherwise to expose them to harm.

NoExcuses

in the hospitals you come across the elderly and the other immunocompromised frequently.

in my mind, it is immoral and unethical to knowingly expose such vulnerable people to virulent bacteria such as MRSA.

i went through the same issue with my career. i wanted to go into oncology drug sales. but those who are on chemo are immunocompromised and often get PA infections. since i am colonized with PA, i would never knowlingly be around people in my career or otherwise to expose them to harm.

NoExcuses

blindhearted

It probably wouldnt be a good idea. You will be putting people at risk, as well as yourself (you may expose yourself to new bugs). But there is more to the medical field then just being in the hospital. You could do medical transcription that specialize in radiology (you would have to learn the medical terms, anatomy, etc). You could work in a medical billing office. I do medical billing for a transport company. I do not interact with any patients. I just handle information and deal with insurance companies. It isnt the hands on medical experiance that you originally wanted, but still part of the medical health system.

blindhearted

It probably wouldnt be a good idea. You will be putting people at risk, as well as yourself (you may expose yourself to new bugs). But there is more to the medical field then just being in the hospital. You could do medical transcription that specialize in radiology (you would have to learn the medical terms, anatomy, etc). You could work in a medical billing office. I do medical billing for a transport company. I do not interact with any patients. I just handle information and deal with insurance companies. It isnt the hands on medical experiance that you originally wanted, but still part of the medical health system.

blindhearted

karenanne99

Hey thanks for the responses...you guys mad me feel kinda bad though lol...i didnt mean to give you all the impression i would work in the hospital no matter what..I would not want to infect ppl with mrsa i just thought there may be a way around it... K

karenanne99

Hey thanks for the responses...you guys mad me feel kinda bad though lol...i didnt mean to give you all the impression i would work in the hospital no matter what..I would not want to infect ppl with mrsa i just thought there may be a way around it... K

karenanne99

scanboyd

I am a 58 yr old cfer with MRSA just recently retired from Nuclear Med. Technologist. You might want to do some research regarding working in a hospital. I was never told that I could not work as a Nuclear Med. Technologist, did for 34 yr. Good Luck

Old Retired
58w Cf!

scanboyd

I am a 58 yr old cfer with MRSA just recently retired from Nuclear Med. Technologist. You might want to do some research regarding working in a hospital. I was never told that I could not work as a Nuclear Med. Technologist, did for 34 yr. Good Luck

Old Retired
58w Cf!