MRSA question

fourkidsmom

I admit I am a little uneducated when it comes to the MRSA bug and how it can be spread. I know alot of you have knowledge on this. My question is this: There is a nurse in my son's life that he sees once every week. Yesterday I was talking to her and she goes on to say she had MRSA before. She said not the skin type but the staph infection type. I instantly thought of my son's cf and worried that this may be what he does not want to get. Does she have it in her body forever now and could she pass it on to my son? She handles his breathing masks, etc., She also told me that week that she had Hepatitis A & so does her son. I am thinking holy crap. What are your thoughts?? My husband said to don't let her come back anymore, I am kind of leaning towards that too. I know anyone can have these things without me knowing, but I know this and I am thinking I probably need to do something about it before it is to late.

Thanks in advance

fourkidsmom

I admit I am a little uneducated when it comes to the MRSA bug and how it can be spread. I know alot of you have knowledge on this. My question is this: There is a nurse in my son's life that he sees once every week. Yesterday I was talking to her and she goes on to say she had MRSA before. She said not the skin type but the staph infection type. I instantly thought of my son's cf and worried that this may be what he does not want to get. Does she have it in her body forever now and could she pass it on to my son? She handles his breathing masks, etc., She also told me that week that she had Hepatitis A & so does her son. I am thinking holy crap. What are your thoughts?? My husband said to don't let her come back anymore, I am kind of leaning towards that too. I know anyone can have these things without me knowing, but I know this and I am thinking I probably need to do something about it before it is to late.

Thanks in advance

fourkidsmom

Thanks in advance

fourkidsmom

Thanks in advance

fourkidsmom

<br />
<br />Thanks in advance
<br />
<br />

zoe4life

Just to stay on the cautious side, I wouldn't let her be around my kiddo. I mean, why risk it?

Take care,

zoe4life

Just to stay on the cautious side, I wouldn't let her be around my kiddo. I mean, why risk it?

Take care,

zoe4life

Take care,

zoe4life

Take care,

zoe4life

<br />Just to stay on the cautious side, I wouldn't let her be around my kiddo. I mean, why risk it?
<br />
<br />Take care,
<br />

vmhoward

Most people carry MRSA and dont even realize it. When the big MRSA scare came out I called Garran's CF Dr. and he said that there really isnt anything we could do to prevent it because it is everywhere. And if Garran was going to catch MRSA in his lungs it wasnt going to be from school, or his friends, or anything like that, unless of coarse his friends were other CF'ers and they coughed in his face. And he didnt know anyone with CF at that time.

But in a hospital setting or with nurses coming in, theyshould always wear gloves, and if changing ports etc or doing IV's they should wear a mask. And obviously if you are going to be around other CF'ers (which most CF kids arent now with all the rules etc) it is always a good idea to keep a mask in your pocket, and make sure you keep your son's hands clean.

As far as the hepetitis A, that is something that can only be transmitted through spit or other bodily fluids. But it is not as transmittable as the other types (B, C) I had Hep A in high school (years and years ago)because I had a bad case of Mono and contracted Hep A from my weakened immune system. But as far as giving it to anyone it isnt likely unless the person that has had it, is currently sick with it.

Obviously I had Hep A before any of my kids and none of them have it.

But if you really dont feel comfortable with her coming out, then there is no reason why you should not ask for another nurse. It is your right as a parent.

I hope this helped some.

vmhoward

Most people carry MRSA and dont even realize it. When the big MRSA scare came out I called Garran's CF Dr. and he said that there really isnt anything we could do to prevent it because it is everywhere. And if Garran was going to catch MRSA in his lungs it wasnt going to be from school, or his friends, or anything like that, unless of coarse his friends were other CF'ers and they coughed in his face. And he didnt know anyone with CF at that time.

But in a hospital setting or with nurses coming in, theyshould always wear gloves, and if changing ports etc or doing IV's they should wear a mask. And obviously if you are going to be around other CF'ers (which most CF kids arent now with all the rules etc) it is always a good idea to keep a mask in your pocket, and make sure you keep your son's hands clean.

As far as the hepetitis A, that is something that can only be transmitted through spit or other bodily fluids. But it is not as transmittable as the other types (B, C) I had Hep A in high school (years and years ago)because I had a bad case of Mono and contracted Hep A from my weakened immune system. But as far as giving it to anyone it isnt likely unless the person that has had it, is currently sick with it.

But if you really dont feel comfortable with her coming out, then there is no reason why you should not ask for another nurse. It is your right as a parent.

I hope this helped some.

vmhoward

I hope this helped some.

vmhoward

I hope this helped some.

vmhoward

<br />
<br />But in a hospital setting or with nurses coming in, theyshould always wear gloves, and if changing ports etc or doing IV's they should wear a mask. And obviously if you are going to be around other CF'ers (which most CF kids arent now with all the rules etc) it is always a good idea to keep a mask in your pocket, and make sure you keep your son's hands clean.
<br />
<br />As far as the hepetitis A, that is something that can only be transmitted through spit or other bodily fluids. But it is not as transmittable as the other types (B, C) I had Hep A in high school (years and years ago)because I had a bad case of Mono and contracted Hep A from my weakened immune system. But as far as giving it to anyone it isnt likely unless the person that has had it, is currently sick with it.
<br />
<br />Obviously I had Hep A before any of my kids and none of them have it.
<br />
<br />But if you really dont feel comfortable with her coming out, then there is no reason why you should not ask for another nurse. It is your right as a parent.
<br />
<br />I hope this helped some.
<br />
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We had an issue with DH's aunt by marriage who had MRSA pneumonia. We haven't seen her in years, but my MIL mentioned that they were contemplating visiting her because they just built a new home. We brought this issue up to our CF doctor who basically said that my inlaws needed to think long and hard as to whether or not this was an important enough event for them to attend because of the risks. This isn't a close family relative, they just wanted to check out the new house. My concerns had to do with my FIL's terrible sinus issues and the possibility of him picking it up... Then we'd really have a dilemma...

I think I posted in the adult section and fondrelections offered some insight about her having MRSA and her sister not and precautions her parents take to prevent it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We had an issue with DH's aunt by marriage who had MRSA pneumonia. We haven't seen her in years, but my MIL mentioned that they were contemplating visiting her because they just built a new home. We brought this issue up to our CF doctor who basically said that my inlaws needed to think long and hard as to whether or not this was an important enough event for them to attend because of the risks. This isn't a close family relative, they just wanted to check out the new house. My concerns had to do with my FIL's terrible sinus issues and the possibility of him picking it up... Then we'd really have a dilemma...

I think I posted in the adult section and fondrelections offered some insight about her having MRSA and her sister not and precautions her parents take to prevent it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I think I posted in the adult section and fondrelections offered some insight about her having MRSA and her sister not and precautions her parents take to prevent it.