MRSA treatment options?

PennyBK

Hi all - Hoping for some insights on your experiences with treating MRSA. I'm 27 and have been culturing MRSA for 10+ years. It's the only bug I culture consistently. I've become resistant to most/all oral antibiotics except for Zyvox. Recent cultures have shown resistance developing to Zyvox as well, so we're trying to use it sparingly. I'm sensitive to Gentamicin, so I've tried that inhaled with mixed results - it caused tightness/hoarseness and I had some hemoptysis with it which I'm not sure was related. Most recently I've had success with Bactrim (DS 3x a day) and Minocycline (resistant to both now), and I had some luck with rifampin which is off the table now since I'm taking Kalydeco. I'm allergic to penicillin.

Fortunately I still have IV options, but I'd love to figure out better options for oral/inhaled. My doctor is of course brainstorming on this too, but I wanted to see if anyone out there has any creative ideas for MRSA treatments that we might not have thought of or tried yet. (For example I've heard of the use of fusidic acid in Europe.) I'm not sure of the status of the Aerovanc trials. Ideally I could figure out some kind of maintenance plan since I really feel a world of difference when I'm being treated for MRSA - mucus production is night and day depending on effective antibiotics.

Thanks all for your help!

kenna2

I would suggest maybe seeing an Infectious Disease doctor. I have on since I've cultured Aspergillius in the past. He is great and has come up with different medications to use since I react badly to certain medications. I have my CF doctors consult with him from time to time. It helps to have another set of eyes and a different perspective on the situation.

PennyBK

Thanks for the suggestion. I know my doctor works with ID when I'm in the hospital/doing IVs, and the ID doctors stop by to see me daily when I'm inpatient. But, I've never interacted with them outpatient and I'm not sure whether they're consulted on oral/inhaled options. So I'll ask about that! Definitely agree that another perspective can help.

I've cultured aspergillus too. As far as we know it's not caused a problem, but that's something worth looking into more. I'll be seeing an allergist/immunologist as well, so hopefully between them, my doctor, and ID, we can generate some new ideas.

jpear1977

ANother option

Hi all - Hoping for some insights on your experiences with treating MRSA. I'm 27 and have been culturing MRSA for 10+ years. It's the only bug I culture consistently. I've become resistant to most/all oral antibiotics except for Zyvox. Recent cultures have shown resistance developing to Zyvox as well, so we're trying to use it sparingly. I'm sensitive to Gentamicin, so I've tried that inhaled with mixed results - it caused tightness/hoarseness and I had some hemoptysis with it which I'm not sure was related. Most recently I've had success with Bactrim (DS 3x a day) and Minocycline (resistant to both now), and I had some luck with rifampin which is off the table now since I'm taking Kalydeco. I'm allergic to penicillin.

My son is 10 and is pretty newly diagnosed. But he cultures MRSA. THey have him on a 2 a day neb of vancomycin. Not sure if you have tried that or not.

PennyBK

Thanks! I haven't tried nebulized vanco. I've done nebulized gentamicin which hasn't been easy to tolerate (tightness, hoarseness, etc), but I know that differs for each person and each drug. I get a horrible rash from IV vanco, which we treat as an allergy, but inhaled might be different. I'll ask about it!