MRSA

AimeeSue82

I have been culturing MRSA for a couple years now. I used to only culture Pseudamonas and Staph. Then it was PA and MRSA. Did my regular Staph change to MRSA? Also, and this is my important question: Can CFers spread MRSA to the general population? My cousin has a 7 month old baby and told me last night that she hasn't been inviting me over because she's afraid the baby will get MRSA from me. Her pediatrician told her if I'm coughing near the baby, she could get it and MRSA can be fatal to babies. I would never go to their house if I'm not feeling well and I never cough on people, especially not a baby! Geez! But wouldn't the baby have to have an open wound that I cough on for her to get it. I wash my hands regularly and if I can, I cough into tissues and throw them away. If there aren't any around, I cover my mouth and swallow the mucus. Is she just being over-cautions or is there some truth to what her Dr told her? Thanks!
~Aimee, 27 CF w/ MRSA

AimeeSue82

I have been culturing MRSA for a couple years now. I used to only culture Pseudamonas and Staph. Then it was PA and MRSA. Did my regular Staph change to MRSA? Also, and this is my important question: Can CFers spread MRSA to the general population? My cousin has a 7 month old baby and told me last night that she hasn't been inviting me over because she's afraid the baby will get MRSA from me. Her pediatrician told her if I'm coughing near the baby, she could get it and MRSA can be fatal to babies. I would never go to their house if I'm not feeling well and I never cough on people, especially not a baby! Geez! But wouldn't the baby have to have an open wound that I cough on for her to get it. I wash my hands regularly and if I can, I cough into tissues and throw them away. If there aren't any around, I cover my mouth and swallow the mucus. Is she just being over-cautions or is there some truth to what her Dr told her? Thanks!
~Aimee, 27 CF w/ MRSA

AimeeSue82

<br />~Aimee, 27 CF w/ MRSA

carmick

I would guess that, after treating your "regular" staph for years, you are left with a strain that doesn't respond to the normal antibiotic regimen. It's pretty common for resistances to change over time. You might have been growing small amounts of the MRSA for years before it showed up on your culture.

My cousin just had a baby in July so I was just asking these questions. By 7 months, as long as the baby is healthy and you aren't sick (do not cough on the baby duh) it should be fine. There was a little disagreement about when the baby was first born, but the baby should have enough of an immune system for her mother to protect her from MRSA, and her resistance to it grows pretty quickly. She doesn't have CF right (being a cousin it could be in the family line) or any other illnesses, right? It's too bad your cousin is so protective but maybe she'll relax with time. Good luck!

carmick

I would guess that, after treating your "regular" staph for years, you are left with a strain that doesn't respond to the normal antibiotic regimen. It's pretty common for resistances to change over time. You might have been growing small amounts of the MRSA for years before it showed up on your culture.

My cousin just had a baby in July so I was just asking these questions. By 7 months, as long as the baby is healthy and you aren't sick (do not cough on the baby duh) it should be fine. There was a little disagreement about when the baby was first born, but the baby should have enough of an immune system for her mother to protect her from MRSA, and her resistance to it grows pretty quickly. She doesn't have CF right (being a cousin it could be in the family line) or any other illnesses, right? It's too bad your cousin is so protective but maybe she'll relax with time. Good luck!

carmick

<br />
<br />My cousin just had a baby in July so I was just asking these questions. By 7 months, as long as the baby is healthy and you aren't sick (do not cough on the baby duh) it should be fine. There was a little disagreement about when the baby was first born, but the baby should have enough of an immune system for her mother to protect her from MRSA, and her resistance to it grows pretty quickly. She doesn't have CF right (being a cousin it could be in the family line) or any other illnesses, right? It's too bad your cousin is so protective but maybe she'll relax with time. Good luck!

AimeeSue82

The baby is totally healthy. I think she'd be fine too. My cousin said "when she gets a little older, I'm sure it'll be better"...until they have more kids. So I just have to stay away for the first year of all their kids lives? that's b.s. What bothers me the most is that I was the only one of our cousins to come see the baby in the hospital the day after she was born. I'm the only one that has bothered to come visit them, just to see how she's doing. And I was the only cousin volunteer to babysit whenever she needs me. And yet, now I'm being kept away for something that is NOT my fault. One more reason this disease sucks.
~Aimee, 27 CF with MRSA

AimeeSue82

The baby is totally healthy. I think she'd be fine too. My cousin said "when she gets a little older, I'm sure it'll be better"...until they have more kids. So I just have to stay away for the first year of all their kids lives? that's b.s. What bothers me the most is that I was the only one of our cousins to come see the baby in the hospital the day after she was born. I'm the only one that has bothered to come visit them, just to see how she's doing. And I was the only cousin volunteer to babysit whenever she needs me. And yet, now I'm being kept away for something that is NOT my fault. One more reason this disease sucks.
~Aimee, 27 CF with MRSA

AimeeSue82

<br />~Aimee, 27 CF with MRSA

M

MCGrad2006

I know exactly what you are going through. I have lots of babies that I am close to (ok, maybe their parents...haha) and I LOVE to just go and hang out and hold the babies and play with them. I don't tell people about my MRSA, its a confidential tidbit of information. I think that the problem is that MRSA is SOOOOOO publicized and people know about it. I mean, if you think about it...psuedo could be contagious too, but people don't hear about it so they are not worried.

It is most likely the baby is ok now. Seven months is a pretty good age and the baby should be able to fight off infections, especially if he or she was breastfed. I have been around babies a lot at younger ages (worked in daycare, of course they didnt know about my MRSA) and have never heard of them getting sick (not that I would always know).

I just tell people that I may cough a lot but that I am not contagious and I wash myself...and if I had been suffering from a cold, I would be honest with them. My niece is 8 months and in explaining to my future SIL (baby's mom) I said that and she was ok with that. She was honest with me when baby was sick and cancelled our plans because she knew it was a danger to me...and I said, I would give her the same respect because of baby.

I know it is frustrating, but hopefully they will loosen up a bit. When they end up having more children, they will need your help and they will hopefully call upon you because you are reliable.

M

MCGrad2006

I know exactly what you are going through. I have lots of babies that I am close to (ok, maybe their parents...haha) and I LOVE to just go and hang out and hold the babies and play with them. I don't tell people about my MRSA, its a confidential tidbit of information. I think that the problem is that MRSA is SOOOOOO publicized and people know about it. I mean, if you think about it...psuedo could be contagious too, but people don't hear about it so they are not worried.

It is most likely the baby is ok now. Seven months is a pretty good age and the baby should be able to fight off infections, especially if he or she was breastfed. I have been around babies a lot at younger ages (worked in daycare, of course they didnt know about my MRSA) and have never heard of them getting sick (not that I would always know).

I just tell people that I may cough a lot but that I am not contagious and I wash myself...and if I had been suffering from a cold, I would be honest with them. My niece is 8 months and in explaining to my future SIL (baby's mom) I said that and she was ok with that. She was honest with me when baby was sick and cancelled our plans because she knew it was a danger to me...and I said, I would give her the same respect because of baby.

I know it is frustrating, but hopefully they will loosen up a bit. When they end up having more children, they will need your help and they will hopefully call upon you because you are reliable.

M

MCGrad2006

<br />
<br />It is most likely the baby is ok now. Seven months is a pretty good age and the baby should be able to fight off infections, especially if he or she was breastfed. I have been around babies a lot at younger ages (worked in daycare, of course they didnt know about my MRSA) and have never heard of them getting sick (not that I would always know).
<br />
<br />I just tell people that I may cough a lot but that I am not contagious and I wash myself...and if I had been suffering from a cold, I would be honest with them. My niece is 8 months and in explaining to my future SIL (baby's mom) I said that and she was ok with that. She was honest with me when baby was sick and cancelled our plans because she knew it was a danger to me...and I said, I would give her the same respect because of baby.
<br />
<br />I know it is frustrating, but hopefully they will loosen up a bit. When they end up having more children, they will need your help and they will hopefully call upon you because you are reliable.

eckensviller

I have MRSA and a 19 month old, I caught it when she was 3 months old. My daughter has been tested several times and does not have it. I was told just to wash my hands, and cough away from her when changing her bum.

eckensviller

I have MRSA and a 19 month old, I caught it when she was 3 months old. My daughter has been tested several times and does not have it. I was told just to wash my hands, and cough away from her when changing her bum.

eckensviller

eckensviller

eckensviller

eckensviller

AimeeSue82

UPDATE: I spoke to my clinic today and the nurse told me unless mucus gets into an open wound on someone else, MRSA wouldn't be transmitted to them. She said the baby is just as likely to pick up some kind of bug from the grocery store, church or from her parents bringing it home from work than from me being around her. So I sent an email to my cousin explaining as well as offering to set her pediatrician straight. This disease is hard enough with out ill-informed doctors spreading fear of the CF community by telling people we're "contagious". Also, I'm having my dr send me info to give my cousin cuz I know she won't believe it coming from me- I'm not a doctor after all. Thanks for the support everyone.

~Aimee, 27 CF with MRSA

AimeeSue82

UPDATE: I spoke to my clinic today and the nurse told me unless mucus gets into an open wound on someone else, MRSA wouldn't be transmitted to them. She said the baby is just as likely to pick up some kind of bug from the grocery store, church or from her parents bringing it home from work than from me being around her. So I sent an email to my cousin explaining as well as offering to set her pediatrician straight. This disease is hard enough with out ill-informed doctors spreading fear of the CF community by telling people we're "contagious". Also, I'm having my dr send me info to give my cousin cuz I know she won't believe it coming from me- I'm not a doctor after all. Thanks for the support everyone.

~Aimee, 27 CF with MRSA