mrsa

mammabettybear5

hi i am new to this and it looks like its a great place to talk and get advice,i just found out my son has mrsa,does anyone know what this means for kids with cf?he just got home today from the hospitol.and everthing on the web is so confusing about it,i would appreciate any replys thanks

Emily65Roses

There have been several threads on the site recently about MRSA. If you look back at older stuff, I'm sure you'll find them. But here's a quick summary. MRSA is not the end of the world, but it's a pain in the butt. I cultured it when I was 16. It was the cause of my lowest PFTs ever (FEV1 of 44%). Oral antibiotics couldn't get rid of it, so I had my first IV meds. Now all this sounds pretty awful, but the IV meds were the end of it. After they were done, I felt much better, and my PFTs went back up. A long-term downside is that even though I don't have symptoms of it anymore, when I'm hospitalized, I get isolated. Just to be sure, I am always in my own room, and doctors and nurses have to take extra protocol when entering and exiting. This is for the protection of others more so than for myself, because MRSA is so resistant. There's another problem that I personally link to it, but I never asked my docs if there's a distinct link. After I got the MRSA, that's when I started culturing pseudomonas regularly. I had very little lung problems until I was 16 (just some coughing, and nebs and stuff, but I could still walk and laugh without trouble). The MRSA started it, and since then I've gone downhill a little. This is only my speculation, but I think the MRSA kind of opened the door for pseudomonas. It's either a coincidence that it started at the same time, or linked. But I don't know which. This is just my personal case with it.