Mucoid Pseudos Aeruginosa and Sudden Resistance !!! HELP !!!

RayRDT

Hello everyone.

I am panicked because I had a culture done in Jan. 2014 and my mucoid PA was sensible to all antibiotics. I just had a bronchoscopy and now it is resistant to certain antibiotics that I've never taken !!! And Cayston (Aztreonam) that I have been ONLY using for a bit over a year is now "intermediate" sensibility :(((( How can it change SO fast to sensible to all and now resistant and intermediate to many ???!!! My doc said that it evolves and does NOT stay resistant forever. I am majorly worried, worried that this new development could badly affect my lifespan :(((( Can anyone help me understand all this, please ? Should I be concerned ? Can I live a 25-30 years like this ???

RDT.

occupyjapan

Resistances do come and go, though they are a lot more likely to stick around if you're constantly being treated by a certain antibiotic, of course.

Bacteria divide really quickly and lots of mutations are introduced into their genome. One time a few years ago, my Pseudomonas was resistant to Amikacin (even though I've never been on it). Now, as per my last culture anyway, my PA is sensitive to literally every antipseudomonal including some stuff PA isn't usually sensitive to (it is intermediate to moxifloxacin, even though most PA is totally resistant to it by default, for example).

Might want to talk to your doctor about laying off the Cayston a bit in favor of something they are sensitive to - Tobi, Colistin, Fortaz (if he's the sort to prescribe stuff off label),etc. Something that will kill the resistance developing mutants before they dominate your bacterial load.

RayRDT

Thxs for your reply ! I don't tolerate TOBI and I am already using Colistin every other month. Sadly, there are not that many options from an inhalation point of vue :( Never heard of Fortaz ... I asked if we should change and he said to continue for the time being on both. I have hyper-sensitive lungs and the only antibio that I tolerate very well is Cayston ( Colistin is so-so, TOBI not at all). Sad :(

RayRDT

Is Cheated Magnesium like normal Magnesium ? And where can we buy it and the other thing (Haritaki) ???

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I believe the word is chelated, not cheated. No worries, chelating is an extraction process that goes way back to days when chemistry was alchemy. Some people ascribe a quality to an mineral derived by chelating. As long as a person believes chelated minerals are superior and the premium cost isn't a rip off, look for chelated minerals and such at a vitamin store. Anyway, I hope that is what was cheated really was chelated.

LL

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Haritaki, that other thing, is available from Amazon and of course all the same vitamin stores on line. I haven't studied haritaki, it is an herb and as such proceed with great caution. P.a. is so hard to fight, I won't discount anything out of hand. Learn everything about it and involve your doctor on this.

LL