Mucomyst and Pulmozyme

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I was just wondering if anyone/anyone's kids do both Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) and Pulmozyme.

Sarah currently does pulmozyme once a day. I was wondering about asking her dr about adding mucomyst once a day.

For those of you who do mucomyst what dosage do you use? My husband does mucomyst for his bronchiectasis and he just adds 1 ml of the 20% solution to albuterol. Adding 1 ml is not a huge treatment burden, so I was wondering if this is a similar dosage they put CF kids on.

Just wanted to get some info so I was prepared when we go to her next appointment.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I was just wondering if anyone/anyone's kids do both Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) and Pulmozyme.

Sarah currently does pulmozyme once a day. I was wondering about asking her dr about adding mucomyst once a day.

For those of you who do mucomyst what dosage do you use? My husband does mucomyst for his bronchiectasis and he just adds 1 ml of the 20% solution to albuterol. Adding 1 ml is not a huge treatment burden, so I was wondering if this is a similar dosage they put CF kids on.

Just wanted to get some info so I was prepared when we go to her next appointment.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator

2005CFmom

Super Moderator

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />Sarah currently does pulmozyme once a day. I was wondering about asking her dr about adding mucomyst once a day.
<br />
<br />For those of you who do mucomyst what dosage do you use? My husband does mucomyst for his bronchiectasis and he just adds 1 ml of the 20% solution to albuterol. Adding 1 ml is not a huge treatment burden, so I was wondering if this is a similar dosage they put CF kids on.
<br />
<br />Just wanted to get some info so I was prepared when we go to her next appointment.

ktsmom

Hi Teri - you might get more input from those in the Adult forum. I get the feeling Muocmyst isn't widely prescribed here in the states, but more in Eurpoe. But I also think here in the states Warwick (U of MN) prescribes it . Good luck!

ktsmom

Hi Teri - you might get more input from those in the Adult forum. I get the feeling Muocmyst isn't widely prescribed here in the states, but more in Eurpoe. But I also think here in the states Warwick (U of MN) prescribes it . Good luck!

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter uses pulmozyme in the morning and mucomyst at night. We took her to see Dr. Warwick twice and he recommended it. It really has helped her. She has been taking mucomyst for three years now. Before she started it she would wake up coughing all of the time. The first night we gave her mucomyst she didn't wake up coughing. A few months later I didn't give her the mucomyst because we were out late. She woke up coughing for the first time since she started it. The same thing happens now. If for some reason I don't give her mucomyst she wakes up coughing. I think it is pretty weird. Glad she takes it. She also did hypertonic saline for two years, but she unlike many people, had lower pft's with it and a gradual inflammation, etc on her x-rays so I stopped it. Her pft's and x-ray have improved since then. The dosage for mucomyst:
albuterol 1cc
sodium chloride 1cc
acetylcysteine 2cc
She doesn't finish all of it, she just inhales it during her vest.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter uses pulmozyme in the morning and mucomyst at night. We took her to see Dr. Warwick twice and he recommended it. It really has helped her. She has been taking mucomyst for three years now. Before she started it she would wake up coughing all of the time. The first night we gave her mucomyst she didn't wake up coughing. A few months later I didn't give her the mucomyst because we were out late. She woke up coughing for the first time since she started it. The same thing happens now. If for some reason I don't give her mucomyst she wakes up coughing. I think it is pretty weird. Glad she takes it. She also did hypertonic saline for two years, but she unlike many people, had lower pft's with it and a gradual inflammation, etc on her x-rays so I stopped it. Her pft's and x-ray have improved since then. The dosage for mucomyst:
albuterol 1cc
sodium chloride 1cc
acetylcysteine 2cc

S

sdelorenzo

albuterol 1cc
sodium chloride 1cc
acetylcysteine 2cc

S

sdelorenzo

albuterol 1cc
sodium chloride 1cc
acetylcysteine 2cc

S

sdelorenzo

<br />albuterol 1cc
<br />sodium chloride 1cc
<br />acetylcysteine 2cc
<br />She doesn't finish all of it, she just inhales it during her vest.
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf
<br />

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies.

Sharon, do you use 10% or 20% acetylcysteine solution? I'm glad it seems to be working well for your daughter. I will definately ask her doctor about it...it won't hurt to give it a try!

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies.

Sharon, do you use 10% or 20% acetylcysteine solution? I'm glad it seems to be working well for your daughter. I will definately ask her doctor about it...it won't hurt to give it a try!

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Thanks for the replies.
<br />
<br />Sharon, do you use 10% or 20% acetylcysteine solution? I'm glad it seems to be working well for your daughter. I will definately ask her doctor about it...it won't hurt to give it a try!