Mucous colors

awagner

So I have heard many different things when it comes to mucous color. Some say the lighter the mucous the better. Is this true?  The darker the mucous this means infection?

awagner

So I have heard many different things when it comes to mucous color. Some say the lighter the mucous the better. Is this true? The darker the mucous this means infection?

awagner

So I have heard many different things when it comes to mucous color. Some say the lighter the mucous the better. Is this true? The darker the mucous this means infection?<BR>

Eden

I would love to see the responses to this post as well. DS (6), who was doing so well for the last month or so, started his chronic cough again. This time though, he is coughing up thick gross green mucous. I've always thought that the darker the mucous the more likely a bacterial infection. I'm taking him to the Dr. this afternoon and will let you know what they say about mucous color.

Eden

I would love to see the responses to this post as well. DS (6), who was doing so well for the last month or so, started his chronic cough again. This time though, he is coughing up thick gross green mucous. I've always thought that the darker the mucous the more likely a bacterial infection. I'm taking him to the Dr. this afternoon and will let you know what they say about mucous color.

Eden

Twistofchaos

Typically yes, when your body produces mucus it's almost transparent but becomes darker as it sits there. Various colors green to brown from bacteria doing stuff to it and in it. ..For me and from my experience, transparent, great! "fresh" thin mucus and the lungs are at ease, no reaction etc. Green, lungs are likely producing more mucus as a response to something but it's relatively infection free. Dark green, brown and strange colors are bad and bacteria or certain bad types of bacteria doing their thing and there's an infection. But this might be different from person to person so don't take that as a pointer.

Twistofchaos

Typically yes, when your body produces mucus it's almost transparent but becomes darker as it sits there. Various colors green to brown from bacteria doing stuff to it and in it. ..For me and from my experience, transparent, great! "fresh" thin mucus and the lungs are at ease, no reaction etc. Green, lungs are likely producing more mucus as a response to something but it's relatively infection free. Dark green, brown and strange colors are bad and bacteria or certain bad types of bacteria doing their thing and there's an infection. But this might be different from person to person so don't take that as a pointer.

Twistofchaos

Typically yes, when your body produces mucus it's almost transparent but becomes darker as it sits there. Various colors green to brown from bacteria doing stuff to it and in it. <BR>..For me and from my experience, transparent, great! "fresh" thin mucus and the lungs are at ease, no reaction etc. Green, lungs are likely producing more mucus as a response to something but it's relatively infection free. Dark green, brown and strange colors are bad and bacteria or certain bad types of bacteria doing their thing and there's an infection. But this might be different from person to person so don't take that as a pointer.

L

lizlas

Bordeterlla avium/Hinzii and mycous colors

<P>GREEN for me means infectionand ive had green for 30 yrs......liter green smaller amount and thinner consistency after iv antibiotics.  but not as good results  as it used to be.</P>
<P>the closest ive ever been to super lite green almost whitish  is when i first inhaled tobi in approx. 2001 ish?  didnt last too long.</P>
<P>evn after 6 weeks of iv amikacin im green, and always have infection....</P>
<P>and i know some cf people who mucus is always near whitish  and goes yellowish..but not green....everyone seems dif.</P>
<P>thats when I grew pseudomonas.  which  I have not grown since approx 2002ish and it has been replaced with bordetella hinzii 2 strains.  and bordetella avium......depends which hospital cultures it....it is very slow to respond to even  iv antibiotics!   and is difficult to suppress to a lite growth like the iovs did for pseudomonas?</P>
<P> </P>
<P><STRONG><U>does any one else grow these bacteria....and if so what antibiotics have you used.</U></STRONG></P>
<P><STRONG></STRONG> </P>
<P> </P>

L

lizlas

<P>GREEN for me means infectionand ive had green for 30 yrs......liter green smaller amountand thinnerconsistency after iv antibiotics. but not as good resultsas it used to be.</P>
<P>the closest ive ever been to super lite green almost whitish is when i first inhaled tobi in approx. 2001 ish? didnt last too long.</P>
<P>and i know some cf people who mucus is always near whitish and goes yellowish..but not green....everyone seems dif.</P>
<P>thats when I grew pseudomonas. which I have not grown since approx 2002ish and it has been replaced with bordetella hinzii 2 strains. and bordetella avium......depends which hospital cultures it....it is very slow to respond to even iv antibiotics!and is difficult to suppress to a lite growth like the iovs did for pseudomonas?</P>
<P></P>
<P><STRONG><U>does any one else grow these bacteria....and if so what antibiotics have you used.</U></STRONG></P>
<P><STRONG></STRONG></P>
<P></P>

L

lizlas

<P><BR>GREEN for me means infectionand ive had green for 30 yrs......liter green smaller amountand thinnerconsistency after iv antibiotics. but not as good resultsas it used to be.</P>
<P>the closest ive ever been to super lite green almost whitish is when i first inhaled tobi in approx. 2001 ish? didnt last too long.</P>
<P>and i know some cf people who mucus is always near whitish and goes yellowish..but not green....everyone seems dif.</P>
<P>thats when I grew pseudomonas. which I have not grown since approx 2002ish and it has been replaced with bordetella hinzii 2 strains. and bordetella avium......depends which hospital cultures it....it is very slow to respond to even iv antibiotics!and is difficult to suppress to a lite growth like the iovs did for pseudomonas?</P>
<P></P>
<P><STRONG></STRONG></P>
<P></P>

tesorotiffa

When I cough up a plug, it is always really dark green. My regular day-to-day mucus is green. I do inhaled Cayston every other month (nothing alternating) and whenever I start Cayston my mucus is greenish/brown. After a week or so, the mucus turns yellow. I culture MRSA and Pseudomonas.

tesorotiffa

When I cough up a plug, it is always really dark green. My regular day-to-day mucus is green. I do inhaled Cayston every other month (nothing alternating) and whenever I start Cayston my mucus is greenish/brown. After a week or so, the mucus turns yellow. I culture MRSA and Pseudomonas.

tesorotiffa