Mutations ?

Athena

what exactly do your mutations mean? how many r there? and does everyone have two or can someone have just one? Does your mutation tell u how sick u will be? Are some mutations worse than others. Forgive me if some of these questions r clueless but i'm really lost when it comes to the whole mutation thing.

Athena

what exactly do your mutations mean? how many r there? and does everyone have two or can someone have just one? Does your mutation tell u how sick u will be? Are some mutations worse than others. Forgive me if some of these questions r clueless but i'm really lost when it comes to the whole mutation thing.

Athena

Athena

Athena

Most CFers have two of them to have CF. But somtimes the docs con't find them and have to dx by other ways. like pft's or other blood work. I was dx by chest x-ray and pft's I had one f508.

Most CFers have two of them to have CF. But somtimes the docs con't find them and have to dx by other ways. like pft's or other blood work. I was dx by chest x-ray and pft's I had one f508.

JazzysMom

I have DDF508

Normally 2 mutations are found for a CF dx. NOT always. We have members where only 1 mutations has been identified, but according to testing & symptoms they have been given a CF diagnoses.

Although mutations normally have certain characteristics linked to them. It by no means guarantees that a CFer with those mutations will follow suit according to those characteristic.

Twins with the identical mutations can present symptoms completely different. "Mild" or "Severe" mutations also vary according to people. Many people want to know what their mutations are hoping it will give them an idea of what to expect.

The problem with that mind set is that CF is progressive. Since meds, compliance, other genetic & environmental issues, mental attidue & luck all play a part in things its not wise IMHO to put everything just in what mutations you have.

Hope this answered most of your ??!

JazzysMom

I have DDF508

Normally 2 mutations are found for a CF dx. NOT always. We have members where only 1 mutations has been identified, but according to testing & symptoms they have been given a CF diagnoses.

Although mutations normally have certain characteristics linked to them. It by no means guarantees that a CFer with those mutations will follow suit according to those characteristic.

Twins with the identical mutations can present symptoms completely different. "Mild" or "Severe" mutations also vary according to people. Many people want to know what their mutations are hoping it will give them an idea of what to expect.

The problem with that mind set is that CF is progressive. Since meds, compliance, other genetic & environmental issues, mental attidue & luck all play a part in things its not wise IMHO to put everything just in what mutations you have.

JazzysMom

I have DDF508

JazzysMom

I have DDF508

JazzysMom

I have DDF508