My 2yo might have CF. A few questions-RESULTS IN! UPDATED! 1-16-08

Alyssa

My 2yo might have CF. A few questions

Full genetic testing is just a simple blood draw - it's getting the orders for complete genetic testing with deletion sequencing (done by Ambry) that is the point you want to get across to the doctor. Often times a doctor will want to order a smaller testing of genetics - same blood draw, less expensive, but they only look for 30, 40 or 98 CF genes -- there are 1,541 CF genes to look for so I think it is a complete waste of resources to look for anything less than all of them! But it is a cheaper test that insurance usually likes to pay for better. The problem is, if they come up negative too, you will still be left wondering if you didn't find the genes because they never looked for nearly 1500 of them! And, don't let them tell you they are looking for "the most common" ones either -- there are only about 3 genes that are consistently seen as "common", beyond that the rest are all just out there for everyone to have. Steve the Ambry guy will tell you that the smaller tests are random - they don't even look for the same genes in each test -- sounds like Russian roulette to me! Ask for full testing, then you can put this issue to rest.

Alyssa

Full genetic testing is just a simple blood draw - it's getting the orders for complete genetic testing with deletion sequencing (done by Ambry) that is the point you want to get across to the doctor. Often times a doctor will want to order a smaller testing of genetics - same blood draw, less expensive, but they only look for 30, 40 or 98 CF genes -- there are 1,541 CF genes to look for so I think it is a complete waste of resources to look for anything less than all of them! But it is a cheaper test that insurance usually likes to pay for better. The problem is, if they come up negative too, you will still be left wondering if you didn't find the genes because they never looked for nearly 1500 of them! And, don't let them tell you they are looking for "the most common" ones either -- there are only about 3 genes that are consistently seen as "common", beyond that the rest are all just out there for everyone to have. Steve the Ambry guy will tell you that the smaller tests are random - they don't even look for the same genes in each test -- sounds like Russian roulette to me! Ask for full testing, then you can put this issue to rest.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

mom2Kierstyn

Thanks for explaining that as I had no clue what Ambry was...LOL. I'll talk to the Dr at her next appointment. I wish the number was lower than 25. It seems like such a wishy-washy #.

mom2Kierstyn

Thanks for explaining that as I had no clue what Ambry was...LOL. I'll talk to the Dr at her next appointment. I wish the number was lower than 25. It seems like such a wishy-washy #.

mom2Kierstyn

mom2Kierstyn

mom2Kierstyn

mom2Kierstyn

Well, here I am, back again after 4 months. My DD just had 2 more sweat tests done today. One was 30 and one was 33. So the numbers went up:-(
My Dr ordered Genetic Testing but I am not sure if it's the Ambry. The lab sheet just says test for cystic fibrosis. So I'll ask tomorrow when I go. I am not sure what to think. She is FTT and doesn't eat much. I know that weight loss (or small weight) is a sign. She has had upper respiratory problems and pneumonia once. I can't think of any other "signs". Any advise????

mom2Kierstyn

Well, here I am, back again after 4 months. My DD just had 2 more sweat tests done today. One was 30 and one was 33. So the numbers went up:-(
My Dr ordered Genetic Testing but I am not sure if it's the Ambry. The lab sheet just says test for cystic fibrosis. So I'll ask tomorrow when I go. I am not sure what to think. She is FTT and doesn't eat much. I know that weight loss (or small weight) is a sign. She has had upper respiratory problems and pneumonia once. I can't think of any other "signs". Any advise????

mom2Kierstyn

mom2Kierstyn

mom2Kierstyn

paysmom

sorry about everything your going through but thats great your getting genetic tests done so you can get to the bottom of all her problems. once you know what is wrong you can get her the right meds and a high cal diet. my son just had his check up and didnt have any wieght gain so he is back on high cal foods. including his favorite muscle drink or so he calls it. milk, ice cream and carnations breakfeast. hope everything gets better soon.

paysmom

sorry about everything your going through but thats great your getting genetic tests done so you can get to the bottom of all her problems. once you know what is wrong you can get her the right meds and a high cal diet. my son just had his check up and didnt have any wieght gain so he is back on high cal foods. including his favorite muscle drink or so he calls it. milk, ice cream and carnations breakfeast. hope everything gets better soon.

paysmom

paysmom

paysmom