My baby has her first cold

anonymous

Hi. my 5 month old baby with cf has her first cold. Any advice? I'm increasing her cpt. They said to bring her in if she runs a temp, has green discharge, throwing up etc. She is coughing alot more than usual and her boogers are clear. I feel nervous and want to make sure I'm doing everything.ThanksRebecca

anonymous

Great Job!Staying on top of things is the ONLY way to go. Stepping up the treatments is a great idea. Our daughter usually has the asthma component of CF increase during colds. Asthma attacks increase mucus in the lungs and airways which makes things worse. So increasing breathing treatments will help surpress asthma or reactive airways.Next.. I would do everything possible to keep the upper respiratory area clean and clear. Bulb syringe her nose often to get the gook out. Saline (Ocean spray) will reduce membrane swelling and loosen mucus in the nasal area. We usually give Madison a squirt and immediately suction it out. ENT SOL is a product that has hypertonic saline. It burns me like heck (most dont complain) but it is GREAT! The nose membranes shrink, the mucus goes away. It provides 3 hours of solid relief from the worst colds. Keep you child hydrated and watch for fever symptoms. Occasionally the mucus backs into the ears and causes an ear infection, so be on guard for that. Yellow mucus and sometimes light green can be viral but it is usually bacterial, so watch that too.Alot to do huh? You will do fine! Best wishes.Don Patin

anonymous

The first cold is tough but you will get through it fine. Don't slack on the cpt's especially at that age. When they are older they are more active which helps. If there are nasal secretions a quick fix is a warm cloth to the nose which helps loosen it up. A warm bath sometimes helps as well. You can try a saline solution (I used Hydrasense) but they our daughter wasn't crazy about it so it was tough. You made need someone to hold her down while you administer it. Another important thing is plenty of fluids. Try and give her a little extra whenever you can.Keep up with the therapy and try to give your baby extra therapy whenever she will tolerate it. It is natural to be nervous, and we've all been there. It sounds like you have everything under control and you're doing a great job.