my blood sugars are outrageous

sexxiej

so i have CFRD and my blood sugars are out of this world high...i've been on carb count ( no good)...diabetic diet (still no good)..and cutting off all carbs and sugars that make it high,.....i have CF lol i need my carbs..any suggestions on what helps you?....

sexxiej

so i have CFRD and my blood sugars are out of this world high...i've been on carb count ( no good)...diabetic diet (still no good)..and cutting off all carbs and sugars that make it high,.....i have CF lol i need my carbs..any suggestions on what helps you?....

sexxiej

mamerth

are you under a lot of stress?? That has been the culprit for me at times. Are you doing insulin??

Another thing that I have done that keeps my sugars under control both up and down is to eat lots of fiber. It seems to help moderate my sugars. Sounds like you might want to check in with your diabetes doctor.

mamerth

are you under a lot of stress?? That has been the culprit for me at times. Are you doing insulin??

Another thing that I have done that keeps my sugars under control both up and down is to eat lots of fiber. It seems to help moderate my sugars. Sounds like you might want to check in with your diabetes doctor.

mamerth

<br />
<br />Another thing that I have done that keeps my sugars under control both up and down is to eat lots of fiber. It seems to help moderate my sugars. Sounds like you might want to check in with your diabetes doctor.

Solo

Make sure you keep hydrated. I have found if I drink a bottle of water real, real fast, my blood sugar drops like 60-70 points instantly!

Solo

Make sure you keep hydrated. I have found if I drink a bottle of water real, real fast, my blood sugar drops like 60-70 points instantly!

Solo

krisgabes

I love my carbs too! I think learning your sugars and reactions is like trial and error. I usually test before I eat, 2 hours after (prime peaking time for glucose following eating; adding additional insulin if needed), then testing another 2 hours following that. Keep a food journal and make notes about different foods and how much insulin you've used with it. That's how I started when I was first diagnosed and it has still helps me out.

I agree with mamerth and Solo, stress absolutely kicks up my sugars and I try to drink at least 2 bottles of water a day to help keep everything flowing.

Btw, if you love pasta look for the brand called "Dreamfields". It is only 10 digestable carbs per 3/4 of a cup as opposed to regular pasta which is 35g of digestable carbs per 3/4 cup. That way you don't have to sacrifice your love for carbs! I tell everyone about it!

krisgabes

I love my carbs too! I think learning your sugars and reactions is like trial and error. I usually test before I eat, 2 hours after (prime peaking time for glucose following eating; adding additional insulin if needed), then testing another 2 hours following that. Keep a food journal and make notes about different foods and how much insulin you've used with it. That's how I started when I was first diagnosed and it has still helps me out.

I agree with mamerth and Solo, stress absolutely kicks up my sugars and I try to drink at least 2 bottles of water a day to help keep everything flowing.

Btw, if you love pasta look for the brand called "Dreamfields". It is only 10 digestable carbs per 3/4 of a cup as opposed to regular pasta which is 35g of digestable carbs per 3/4 cup. That way you don't have to sacrifice your love for carbs! I tell everyone about it!

krisgabes

<br />
<br />I agree with mamerth and Solo, stress absolutely kicks up my sugars and I try to drink at least 2 bottles of water a day to help keep everything flowing.
<br />
<br />Btw, if you love pasta look for the brand called "Dreamfields". It is only 10 digestable carbs per 3/4 of a cup as opposed to regular pasta which is 35g of digestable carbs per 3/4 cup. That way you don't have to sacrifice your love for carbs! I tell everyone about it!

MikeInMT

I also have cfrd, my sugars are still a bit high, but we slowly getting the lantis dose set right. If you are on any steroid antibiotic they will jack your sugars up. When they put me on prednisone(sp) my sugars will reach upwards to 300.... I have done a complete diet change in the last few months, and it has helped tons with my sugar levels. I have all but cut carbs out of my diet. I foudn a recipe for some brownies that does not use flower, instead its flax seed meal. They have 0 sugars and good calories, I can post it if people would like it. Also I eat alot of protien everyday. I also eat every 2-3 hours. I usually only have 1 "big" meal a day, but still eat about 3,000 calories a day. If you can afford to do it, protien bars are great, alot of them have low sugar and low carbs, and decent calories.
Here would be a typical day of eating for me
Wake up -- Scandishake, or an ensure+
2-3 3 eggs 4 sausage links and 2 cups whole milk
2-3 hours later a brownie or some other good calorie snack with low to no sugar/carb
2-3 hour later protein bar and 2 cups whole milk
2-3 hour later dinner-- usually a meat veggie and for the starch brown rice and whole milk
and just before bed I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal and have a scandishake or a ensure+
If I wake up in the night I usually eat a protein bar.
P.S. for a sweetner do not use the pink yellow or blue stuff.. its just as bad for you as regular sugar.. I found Truvia, and Sugar in the Raw are your best choices. Truvia is a bit spendy. I have not tried it, but another healty sweetner is stevia.
Hope this helps,
Michael

MikeInMT

I also have cfrd, my sugars are still a bit high, but we slowly getting the lantis dose set right. If you are on any steroid antibiotic they will jack your sugars up. When they put me on prednisone(sp) my sugars will reach upwards to 300.... I have done a complete diet change in the last few months, and it has helped tons with my sugar levels. I have all but cut carbs out of my diet. I foudn a recipe for some brownies that does not use flower, instead its flax seed meal. They have 0 sugars and good calories, I can post it if people would like it. Also I eat alot of protien everyday. I also eat every 2-3 hours. I usually only have 1 "big" meal a day, but still eat about 3,000 calories a day. If you can afford to do it, protien bars are great, alot of them have low sugar and low carbs, and decent calories.
Here would be a typical day of eating for me
Wake up -- Scandishake, or an ensure+
2-3 3 eggs 4 sausage links and 2 cups whole milk
2-3 hours later a brownie or some other good calorie snack with low to no sugar/carb
2-3 hour later protein bar and 2 cups whole milk
2-3 hour later dinner-- usually a meat veggie and for the starch brown rice and whole milk
and just before bed I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal and have a scandishake or a ensure+
If I wake up in the night I usually eat a protein bar.
P.S. for a sweetner do not use the pink yellow or blue stuff.. its just as bad for you as regular sugar.. I found Truvia, and Sugar in the Raw are your best choices. Truvia is a bit spendy. I have not tried it, but another healty sweetner is stevia.
Hope this helps,
Michael

MikeInMT

<br />Here would be a typical day of eating for me
<br />Wake up -- Scandishake, or an ensure+
<br />2-3 3 eggs 4 sausage links and 2 cups whole milk
<br />2-3 hours later a brownie or some other good calorie snack with low to no sugar/carb
<br />2-3 hour later protein bar and 2 cups whole milk
<br />2-3 hour later dinner-- usually a meat veggie and for the starch brown rice and whole milk
<br />and just before bed I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal and have a scandishake or a ensure+
<br />If I wake up in the night I usually eat a protein bar.
<br />P.S. for a sweetner do not use the pink yellow or blue stuff.. its just as bad for you as regular sugar.. I found Truvia, and Sugar in the Raw are your best choices. Truvia is a bit spendy. I have not tried it, but another healty sweetner is stevia.
<br />Hope this helps,
<br />Michael

T

tarheel

CFRD is what I call "type 3" diabetes. It is insulin dependent (make sure you're on the right doses of insulin) but unique in that we shouldn't limit our carbs. Having a good diabetic teaching nurse for me was absolutely key. Her son has type 1 diabetes, which made her much more able to relate to all the problems we were having with sugars, and later with equipment. On lantus and novalog my blood sugars were ok, not great. I felt like after I just got diagnosed that a pump was "too much". After 3 months of fooling around with insulins, I decided the pump couldn't be that much worse. It was (besides getting a port) the best medical decision I have ever made. It took a little bit of time to get good basal and carb rates, but again the teaching nurse helped a lot with that. It is so much easier to press buttons and have a computer calculate your insulin/carb ratio and be able to give partial units of insulin than messing around with needles and "well, do I round up or down?" Hope this helps. If you have any questions, send me a PM

T

tarheel

CFRD is what I call "type 3" diabetes. It is insulin dependent (make sure you're on the right doses of insulin) but unique in that we shouldn't limit our carbs. Having a good diabetic teaching nurse for me was absolutely key. Her son has type 1 diabetes, which made her much more able to relate to all the problems we were having with sugars, and later with equipment. On lantus and novalog my blood sugars were ok, not great. I felt like after I just got diagnosed that a pump was "too much". After 3 months of fooling around with insulins, I decided the pump couldn't be that much worse. It was (besides getting a port) the best medical decision I have ever made. It took a little bit of time to get good basal and carb rates, but again the teaching nurse helped a lot with that. It is so much easier to press buttons and have a computer calculate your insulin/carb ratio and be able to give partial units of insulin than messing around with needles and "well, do I round up or down?" Hope this helps. If you have any questions, send me a PM

T

tarheel

MikeInMT

Yes, but you just gotta watch out which carb. Complex carbs are good for you.. oatmeal. Brown rice.. the simple carbs are the bad ones

MikeInMT

Yes, but you just gotta watch out which carb. Complex carbs are good for you.. oatmeal. Brown rice.. the simple carbs are the bad ones