my CF infant had a solid poop...is this normall??

My 7 month old had a solid poop today for the first time. He is breast fed amd we started to introduce solid foods recently. Has anyone else had this happen or do I need to contact the clinic for advice? First time mom and cf mom so I am cautious about everything:)
-Erica

Yes that is totally normal. When you introduce new solid foods it does change the stools. Very normal, no need to worry.

Last edited:

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS was formula fed and he's pancreatic insufficient, so needed enzymes. I remember the nurses in the NICU telling us the goal was for well formed stools -- not greasy or shiney. And when he was briefly put on pregistimil (predigested formula) what came out was grass green and well formed. Weirdest color combo I'd ever seen. And the nurse looks at it and said it was perfect?!! Hello?

The poop issue drove me nuts. As long as they're stooling on a regular basis and it's not greasy, shiny (malabsorbed), has mucus, he should be fine. And even if that DOES happen, it's not that big of an issue -- just a sign that he's eating something different, might need enzymes... DS' really didn't have normal looking stools until he started drinking regular milk and eating normal table food.

My cfer had hard formed pellet like stools constantly! Shes pancreas suffecient, though her docs said constipation is common in cf and they prescribed her miralax after extra fiber and extra fluids failed to help. If it becomes an issue and he is having a hard time and seems in pain when having a bm I would call right away to see what they recommend, but it could just be the new foods :)