My first Bodybuilding competion

lilmac7

Did my first bodybuilding competition on Saturday, it went great! I took first place Novice category in the INBF Caribbean Grand Prix, so now it's all out hell in the gym to hopefully pack on some more pounds before I go for my next show which I'll have to enter in the open category. It was really encouraging and motivating experience for me coming from being told in Nov. 2002 that I need to start getting things together for lung transplant when I was down to 23% PFT's and extremely under weight, at which point they were trying to convince me to get a G-Tube but I refused 'cause I didn't want to ruine my abs, lol. That whole experience was a wake up call for me to get proactive and when I got back home from then on I took up weight lifting and stuffing myself with food and suppliments. I went into the gym like a twig and started slowly and within weeks I noticed I was feeling alot better and stronger so I just kept going with it and upping the intensity of my workouts. Right now I hover in the mid 30's to low 40's PFT's but I believe because of all the training I function as if it is higher. Reasons for me thinking this is that life so has it that I met my current girlfriend a year ago, who also has a lung condition (Immotile Cilia Syndrome) which is more so rare than CF, she is in the high 60's for PFT's and she's baffled at how my PFT's are low but I am able to train so hard and she can never keep up with me in anything. The next reason I believe this is when my friend pointed out to me that when I was on stage against all these athletes with no lung trouble I was not panting and having trouble controlling my breathing while under the stress of squeezing every last inch of muscle in your body while up on stage compared to a couple of them, I even remember hearing someone calling out from the audience for another competitor to control his breathing. Anyway I am just sharing this to encourage you all and not let anything get you down, the mind is a poerful thing and it is amazing what can be done with determination. I have definately baffled many minds around here where I live with where I am now and where I am coming from. And I will continue to do all I can to keep going! Another point I didn't want to forget to mention is that I have the "death sentence" (if I am allowed to joke around and call it that as that was how it was portrayed to me when it was detected) bacteria B. Cepacia which I just refuse to make it get to my head and get the best of me! Anyway, May God bless and keep you all! and I will try to get some pics of the event up somewhere as soon as they are available to me.

Diana

Well if you aren't the perfect example of a great role model, I don't know what is. Well done, I am very impressed!

lilmac7

got some pics everyone! not the best quality as I said people were having trouble focusing, and the individual ones will show you who I am.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h102/lilmac7_photos/">http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h102/lilmac7_photos/</a>

I'm trying to get some more and hopefully a video of the pre-judging, that was where I think I looked the best, the night show is mostly for entertainment

JazzysMom

I personally dont like the "look" of the body builders body. TOO many muscles for me, but this isnt about what I like. I commend you on the devotion & hard work that it takes to get into that kind of shape especially when handling CF on top of it all! Congrats & may you remember us all here when you win whatever the highest title is for body building!

anonymous

HI I'M REPLING TO YOUR POST TO ASK YOU A QUESTION.I HAVE A SON NOW 18 YEARS OLD WHO IS HAVING A VERY HARD TIME WITH HIS CF.ITS LIKE HE BLAMES THE WORLD AND EVERYONE IN IT FOR HIS HAVING CF.HE BARELY TAKES HIS MEDS AND IS REALLY ANGRY ALL THE TIME AND ITS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT HIS CF.IT HURTS ME TO SEE HIM GOING THROUGH THIS BUT HE WILL NOT LET ANYONE IN.HE WONT TALK ABOUT ANYTHING.DID YOU GO THROUGH THIS AT SOME POINT OF YOUR EARLY TEEN TO YOUNG ADULT YEARS?I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT THERE IS I CAN DO IF ANYTHING TO HELP HIM.LIKE I SAID HE IS 18 BARELY WEIGHS 100LBS. AND IS ONLY ABOUT 5'2.HE HAS A GIRLFRIEND BUT SHE IS DOING HIM REALLY WRONG BUT HE SAID HE DIDN'T WANT TO BREAK UP WITH HER BECAUSE IT WAS TO HARD TO GET ANOTHER GIRLFRIEND BECAUSE OF HIS CF AND SIZE,BUT HE REALLY IS A GOODLOOKING YOUNG MAN(THATS NOT JUST THE MOM TALKING) HE REALLY IS.WHEN HE'S NOT ANGRY AT THE WORLD HE HAS A GOOD PERSONALITY.ITS LIKE WHEN HE SEES HIMSELF BEING HAPPY HE FREAKS OUT.DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE.PLEASE ACCEPT MY APPOLOGY IF I HAVE BOTHERED YOU .THANK YOU,PATTY IN TN.
MY EMAIL IS JOHN1228@CHARTER.NET

anonymous

hi lilmac7 my nme is cj, thats great i have recently joined gym well its been 6months now and im enjoying it my aim is general fitness and strength, hay if i get the bod with full 6pack then great, im on the way time will tell good luck and best wishes cj

anonymous

hi im sad but under stand your sons reaction to his cf! im trying to recall how us humans are said to respond to such situation? well the pycologists say we first go thru denile of our situation then we go thru an angry stage then acceptance, this is a fact and he will in time adjust, lets hope he moves swiftly thru these stages. im sure he be ok. just support him no1 is to blame life frows all sorts r way.
best wishes. cj