My right side won't stop twitching & feeling bubbly

randomgirl

My side (kind of back side) right below my ribs started feeling gurgly/bubbly (without any noise) last Wednesday. Today there has been pain that has been increasing and my side twitched for half an hour straight. It now twitches on and off with tenderness and it's just uncomfortable. Now my right side is starting to feel pain and tender a little bit. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm guessing my kidney? I've had a double lung and liver transplant 2 years ago. I don't know if I should tell my transplant coordinator or not because it sounds stupid complaining of twitching and tender pain.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Randomgirl,

I'm afraid I don't have any ideas what that could be, but I really just wanted to tell you that it absolutely does NOT sound stupid, at all, to call your doctor about the symptoms you are having! There is nothing wrong with putting in a call, that's what they are there for. :)

Good luck, and take care of yourself,

Autumn 34 w/CF

randomgirl

Thank you, Autumn, for your input. I decided I'm not going to tell my transplant coordinator because I already tell them too many problems lol. But I'll see them next month. Thanks!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Pleural effusion? I have great and original lungs for a CFer so I notice things when they go screwy. Pleural effusion is fluid caught between the pleural membranes. It seems like a kidney from its location when I have it too. And the bubbly, twitchy description is right on. Pleurisy involves a pleural membrane that is inflamed and sore that turns every breath into an adventure in pain. Pleurisy is mostly dry and the membranes can adhere causing tremendous pain but is less serious than the relatively painless pleural effusion. You need a layer of fluid for the lungs to move freely. When it accumulates, you've got a problem.

There's a good chance you have or had an infection that caused the pleural effusion. Mine is usually accompanied by hemoptysis, big blood clots that get coughed up. The last pleural effusion I had no pain excepting anything resembling a cough which was a new record for momentary pain.

The pleural effusion itself may not be serious but anytime fluid accumulates there's cause for concern. I strongly suggest you be seen by your doctor before the weekend. I'm certain that you are describing pleural effusion so use the term if you want a better description. Even if we are guessing wrong, your doctor will suspect it from your description. This could turn critical so watch for fever and go camp at your doctor's office.

Best luck,

LL

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Given LittleLab's training and knowledge, I'd have every reason to believe he's right and to call now. But even if he's not, his response aptly illustrates that the experts here what you tell the layperson and it means something different and it could be serious! A contemporary of my boss died because he put off seeing the doctor over a nasty cough. He end up having I think pulmonary fibrosis. Might be wrong, but whatever it was could have been treated had he had it checked. Not saying you are dying ...at all...just saying even you call a lot, that is what they are there for and they will know whether to be concerned or not. Good luck!