Nac

anonymous345

I've been taking NAC for the past 4 years or so and feel like it's made a big difference in the way I feel. I get it from PharmaNAC, the brand recommended to take based on the Stanford studies. Unfortunately, they reformulated the formula and flavors recently and added sucralose to the ingredients. I'm allergic to sucralose (splenda) , and I get a tight feeling, kind of like asthma. I'm disappointed because I can't take it anymore. Does anyone get NAC from a different company and like it?

B

bookworm

Sorry to hear you are having this problem with PharmaNAC. I posted a message looking for NAC a while back and didn't get a lot of response. I did try a couple of other formulations Jarrow NAC Sustain, which is supposed to have good results at an IPF clinic in the States (comparable to PharmaNAC). However, for me, it put me to sleep. I also tried TwinLab because their product is usually less allergenic, but then I ran into an issue where my stomach was affected by NAC. (Appears to be a side effect of NAC.)

Your mileage may differ from me on these brands, but you may also want to look into European fizzy brands and shipping through the UK or Germany.

Don't know if it is a factor, but I did find that the other NACs didn't seem to work quite like the PharmaNAC brand. With PharmaNAC I felt quite a bit better and able to get rid of more gunk. But with the other NAC's I felt "wetter" and not so much better. I am wondering if the efficacy of PharmaNAC actually may have something to do with the other ingredients in it. I am looking at the old box and the first ingredient is Citric Acid. It's an odd coincidence that citric acid is one of the main ingredients of Citramel - a new product being developed for CF in New Zealand. Apparently a CF doctor discovered that combining citric acid and another food grade ingredient dissolved the alginate in the Pseudomonas biofilm and made it very easy to cough out. This product has been nebulized by someone who gained quite a bit of lung function (I think 18%) and also no longer cultures pseudomonas.

Food for thought....

Anyway - my suggestion: Save your box and product literature for anything that does work for you - that you can no longer get. You may find yourself looking at the ingredients in another product in the future. (I wish I had saved a mucolytic prescription that I was given over 20 years ago - that worked - but I had no idea I had CF then.)

Here's a link about Citramel http://breatheeasytherapeutics.com/