NaCl bolus may help make mucus more liquid?

CyrilCrodius

When I went to hospital for influenza in December, I received two 0.9% NaCl boluses within 24 hours to lower my fever and increase my blood pressure. Boluses are where they inject you with a large amount of something to reach a desired concentration of that something in your bloodstream. In my case, they let a whole 1L bag of NaCl drip freely until it was empty. I noticed afterward that my mucus was extremely easy to cough up and very liquid. Did you ever have a similar experience?

If you ever are in a position where you have a large amount of mucus to clear up and that you have trouble doing it even with hypersal and pulmozyme, it might be worth discussing this option with your doctor.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Cyril, My docs usually give me at least one bag of fluids at the start of IV antibiotics. Sometimes they've kept me on fluids for a few days. I've never noticed an immediate difference, but that doesn't mean it's not doing anything. I have recently heard of another CFer trying "hydration therapy", whereby no iv antibiotics are given, just IV fluids. If I remember correctly, she saw some improvement. Her CF doc believes hydration therapy can be effective. So you are definitely onto something here! Take Care! Autumn 32 w/CF

CyrilCrodius

Hi Cyril, My docs usually give me at least one bag of fluids at the start of IV antibiotics. Sometimes they've kept me on fluids for a few days. I've never noticed an immediate difference, but that doesn't mean it's not doing anything. I have recently heard of another CFer trying "hydration therapy", whereby no iv antibiotics are given, just IV fluids. If I remember correctly, she saw some improvement. Her CF doc believes hydration therapy can be effective. So you are definitely onto something here! Take Care! Autumn 32 w/CF

Thanks for mentioning this! I googled "hydration therapy cystic fibrosis" and found this : http://www.cf2chat.com/e107/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?37733

Her doctor's logic behind doing this is the same as what I mentioned : That is would help loosening up the mucus.

I would love to hear about other people who have done hydration therapy.