Nasal Polyps

izemmom

Emily had clinic today and everything was great...except our pulmo saw what she thinks MIGHT be nasal polyps.  What she saw, combined with two statements from Emily ("nothing smells like it's supposed to smell" and "I feel like I have to blow my nose but nothing comes out") are leading our Dr. to believe it's time to do another sinus CT.  Emily has had sinus issues before (inflammation, blockage and some anatomay issues) but never polyps.
We have a CT with ENT follow-up scheduled for May 18, but while we wait, you can bet I'll be learning everything I can about polyps. So, educate me...
Who's dealt with them, what were your signs, how often have you needed removal, other than congestion are there any adverse effects...
Thanks for sharing your expertise!

izemmom

Emily had clinic today and everything was great...except our pulmo saw what she thinks MIGHT be nasal polyps. What she saw, combined with two statements from Emily ("nothing smells like it's supposed to smell" and "I feel like I have to blow my nose but nothing comes out") are leading our Dr. to believe it's time to do another sinus CT. Emily has had sinus issues before (inflammation, blockage and some anatomay issues) but never polyps.
We have a CT with ENT follow-up scheduled for May 18, but while we wait, you can bet I'll be learning everything I can about polyps. So, educate me...
Who's dealt with them, what were your signs, how often have you needed removal, other than congestion are there any adverse effects...
Thanks for sharing your expertise!

izemmom

<p>Emily had clinic today and everything was great...except our pulmo saw what she thinks MIGHT be nasal polyps. What she saw, combined with two statements from Emily ("nothing smells like it's supposed to smell" and "I feel like I have to blow my nose but nothing comes out") are leading our Dr. to believe it's time to do another sinus CT. Emily has had sinus issues before (inflammation, blockage and some anatomay issues) but never polyps.
<p>We have a CT with ENT follow-up scheduled for May 18, but while we wait, you can bet I'll be learning everything I can about polyps. So, educate me...
<p>Who's dealt with them, what were your signs, how often have you needed removal, other than congestion are there any adverse effects...
<p>Thanks for sharing your expertise!

J

JenniferRose65

That sounds a lot like how I felt when I had the nasal polyps. I couldn't really smell anything anymore, and my nose always felt full. I've had them removed twice - once when I was 12 and once again when I was 19. I noticed an IMMENSE difference after having them removed. I remember always asking "what's that smell?" about everything because I had never been able to smell before. When they decided to remove them the second time I knew my sense of smell had gotten worse and it was a little harder to breath (especially at night) but I didn't think they had gotten far enough along to be removed again...apparently if you don't do your sinus rinses regularly afterwards (which I didn't because I'm not diligent in the least) it's common that they grow back a lot quicker and you have to get them removed again.

The first time I had them removed it was just the nasal polyps. I was out of school for a week. (mainly because I was a girl and couldn't bare to go back to the 6th grade with a bandage over my face!) This time there was a lot of drainage- I had to remove the bandage once or twice a day for the first two days because it was full of drainage and I coughed up a bit of blood every now and then that managed to run back in my throat (sorry for getting visual) I had to wear a bandage under my nose for a little more than a week and I was coughing up spots of blood for just as long. I know I was embarrassed to spit at school so just do everything you can to make sure your daughter gets that stuff out!

The second time however, I had them removed along with my tonsils (which is another story all together - if you have the option, don't wait until your kids are 20 years old to get their tonsils removed, it knocked me out for a good two and a half weeks!) However, as far as the polyps went - it was a completely different healing process. I didn't have any drainage after the first day and I didn't experience the coughing up blood at all (mainly because I had my tonsils removed and I did everything in my power to not cough for as long as I could) If it weren't for the polyps I probably would have been up and moving around in half as much time as the first time.

I hope this is all coherent and helps give you a feel for nasal polyps. Sorry I wrote so much. AND GOOD LUCK!

J

JenniferRose65

That sounds a lot like how I felt when I had the nasal polyps. I couldn't really smell anything anymore, and my nose always felt full. I've had them removed twice - once when I was 12 and once again when I was 19. I noticed an IMMENSE difference after having them removed. I remember always asking "what's that smell?" about everything because I had never been able to smell before. When they decided to remove them the second time I knew my sense of smell had gotten worse and it was a little harder to breath (especially at night) but I didn't think they had gotten far enough along to be removed again...apparently if you don't do your sinus rinses regularly afterwards (which I didn't because I'm not diligent in the least) it's common that they grow back a lot quicker and you have to get them removed again.

The first time I had them removed it was just the nasal polyps. I was out of school for a week. (mainly because I was a girl and couldn't bare to go back to the 6th grade with a bandage over my face!) This time there was a lot of drainage- I had to remove the bandage once or twice a day for the first two days because it was full of drainage and I coughed up a bit of blood every now and then that managed to run back in my throat (sorry for getting visual) I had to wear a bandage under my nose for a little more than a week and I was coughing up spots of blood for just as long. I know I was embarrassed to spit at school so just do everything you can to make sure your daughter gets that stuff out!

The second time however, I had them removed along with my tonsils (which is another story all together - if you have the option, don't wait until your kids are 20 years old to get their tonsils removed, it knocked me out for a good two and a half weeks!) However, as far as the polyps went - it was a completely different healing process. I didn't have any drainage after the first day and I didn't experience the coughing up blood at all (mainly because I had my tonsils removed and I did everything in my power to not cough for as long as I could) If it weren't for the polyps I probably would have been up and moving around in half as much time as the first time.

I hope this is all coherent and helps give you a feel for nasal polyps. Sorry I wrote so much. AND GOOD LUCK!

J

JenniferRose65

<br />
<br />The first time I had them removed it was just the nasal polyps. I was out of school for a week. (mainly because I was a girl and couldn't bare to go back to the 6th grade with a bandage over my face!) This time there was a lot of drainage- I had to remove the bandage once or twice a day for the first two days because it was full of drainage and I coughed up a bit of blood every now and then that managed to run back in my throat (sorry for getting visual) I had to wear a bandage under my nose for a little more than a week and I was coughing up spots of blood for just as long. I know I was embarrassed to spit at school so just do everything you can to make sure your daughter gets that stuff out!
<br />
<br /> The second time however, I had them removed along with my tonsils (which is another story all together - if you have the option, don't wait until your kids are 20 years old to get their tonsils removed, it knocked me out for a good two and a half weeks!) However, as far as the polyps went - it was a completely different healing process. I didn't have any drainage after the first day and I didn't experience the coughing up blood at all (mainly because I had my tonsils removed and I did everything in my power to not cough for as long as I could) If it weren't for the polyps I probably would have been up and moving around in half as much time as the first time.
<br />
<br />I hope this is all coherent and helps give you a feel for nasal polyps. Sorry I wrote so much. AND GOOD LUCK!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' pediatrician thought he might have a polyp; however, it turned out that during tobi months DS' nasal passages get irritated and he gets a really stuffy nose, with thicker secretions and he snores.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' pediatrician thought he might have a polyp; however, it turned out that during tobi months DS' nasal passages get irritated and he gets a really stuffy nose, with thicker secretions and he snores.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />

M

mneville

Hi Tamie. Our life seems to revolve around Aidan's polyp issues!!! He first had symptoms at age 1 and had his first PICC line and sinus surgery with polyp removal at 17 months old. He is now 6 and is having his 9th sinus surgery and (most likely polyps removal) next month. His polyps grow back within weeks even with nasal rinses and steroids. Once the polyps start blocking everything, his sinuses become infected with thick, mucus and nowhere to go. So he develops horrible headaches, bags under his eyes and is just a mess. The CT scan will give you a better idea although sometimes the CTs show blocked sinuses but not always the polyps. Does she have symptoms? Best of luck. Aidan always feels better after sinus surgery. The recovery is rather quick with no packing usually...
Megan

M

mneville

Hi Tamie. Our life seems to revolve around Aidan's polyp issues!!! He first had symptoms at age 1 and had his first PICC line and sinus surgery with polyp removal at 17 months old. He is now 6 and is having his 9th sinus surgery and (most likely polyps removal) next month. His polyps grow back within weeks even with nasal rinses and steroids. Once the polyps start blocking everything, his sinuses become infected with thick, mucus and nowhere to go. So he develops horrible headaches, bags under his eyes and is just a mess. The CT scan will give you a better idea although sometimes the CTs show blocked sinuses but not always the polyps. Does she have symptoms? Best of luck. Aidan always feels better after sinus surgery. The recovery is rather quick with no packing usually...
Megan

M

mneville

<br />Megan