nebulized amphotericin (fungizone) for fungus

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes Meranda, he did fine. I think he did 6 weeks of nebs with no problem. We did try a low- acid diet and some herbal stuff at the same time, so it's hard to say which one was effective, or the combo, but he was better afterwards!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes Meranda, he did fine. I think he did 6 weeks of nebs with no problem. We did try a low- acid diet and some herbal stuff at the same time, so it's hard to say which one was effective, or the combo, but he was better afterwards!

Jane

Digital opinion leader

L

lizlas

<P>Hi:</P>
<P> </P>
<P>glad he s feeling better..!!! but what was he growing and where? you ssaid lungs and throat had no fungus?  so I find it really strange that he would be given inhalation therapy of amphoterican.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>and find it odd to treat an systemic infection by inhalation....what were his symptoms ? what was he growing ?  im very interested because I culture aspergillus Fumigatus and  did 3 mos of oral v fend and didnt notice a difference.....</P>
<P>thank you so much</P>

L

lizlas

<P>Hi:</P>
<P></P>
<P>glad he s feeling better..!!! but what was he growing and where? you ssaid lungs and throat had no fungus? so I find it really strange that he would be given inhalation therapy of amphoterican.</P>
<P></P>
<P>and find it odd to treat an systemic infection by inhalation....what were his symptoms ? what was he growing ? im very interested because I culture aspergillus Fumigatus and did 3 mos of oral v fend and didnt notice a difference.....</P>
<P>thank you so much</P>

L

lizlas

<P><BR>Hi:</P>
<P></P>
<P>glad he s feeling better..!!! but what was he growing and where? you ssaid lungs and throat had no fungus? so I find it really strange that he would be given inhalation therapy of amphoterican.</P>
<P></P>
<P>and find it odd to treat an systemic infection by inhalation....what were his symptoms ? what was he growing ? im very interested because I culture aspergillus Fumigatus and did 3 mos of oral v fend and didnt notice a difference.....</P>
<P>thank you so much</P>

Jane

Digital opinion leader
The first red flag was that Josh had oral thrush for over a year that wouldn't go away with nystatin or fluconozole. He was also generally unwell with a persistant cough, but he had so many symptoms ( fuzzy thinking, fatigue) it was hard to diagnose the problem. His doctor had him do many courses of ABX, thinking his problem was infection, but he didn't feel better. We started to do some research on candida and found that so many of his other symptoms were also found in candida overgrowth. We asked the docs to look into the fungus as a cause of the problem (instead of a symptom). His tests were high, but I don't recall now which ones were done.
Mom2Lillian (nicole) was very helpful and knowledgable about the candida diet, which we think helped Josh tremendously.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
The first red flag was that Josh had oral thrush for over a year that wouldn't go away with nystatin or fluconozole. He was also generally unwell with a persistant cough, but he had so many symptoms ( fuzzy thinking, fatigue) it was hard to diagnose the problem. His doctor had him do many courses of ABX, thinking his problem was infection, but he didn't feel better. We started to do some research on candida and found that so many of his other symptoms were also found in candida overgrowth. We asked the docs to look into the fungus as a cause of the problem (instead of a symptom). His tests were high, but I don't recall now which ones were done.
Mom2Lillian (nicole) was very helpful and knowledgable about the candida diet, which we think helped Josh tremendously.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />Mom2Lillian (nicole) was very helpful and knowledgable about the candida diet, which we think helped Josh tremendously.
<br />

UNCLoveCF

I took IV Amphotericin for two weeks. I became extremely sick with nausea, vomiting, and developed renal failure. I was told I have long-term kidney damage from Amphotericin. But I have not had my kidney function checked over the last few weeks to see if there has been an improvement. <br><br>My CF doctor and I have discussed using inhaled Amphotericin B.I culture Aspergillus and have coughed up black fungal balls over the last year. In late 2009 I began running a chronic low grade fever and developed hemoptysis in January 2011 which continues to cause problems. Another CF doctor at my center said he does not believe inhaled Amphotericin is a good idea because it can punch holes in the airways and lead to worsening lung problems. <br><br>Anyone out there use inhaled amphotericin? If so, how long did you use the neb, what was the dose, and how many times per day? Did you/your child experience worsening lung decline after treatment?My fevers are alleviated with Zosyn and Augmentin. These two antibiotics may treat Ralstonia, a rare bacteriaI culture, as well as anaerobes. <br>

UNCLoveCF

Jane: <br><br>Did Josh's PFT's improve after using inhaled amphotericin? <br><br>Did he experience any side effects to inhaled Amphotericin?<br><br>Did Josh culture Aspergillus in his lungs? <br><br>Did Josh run fevers from the fungal growth? <br>

Jane

Digital opinion leader
No he didn't have fevers that I recall. His sputum culture didn't show mold but his pfts improved because he felt better over all. He did not have side effects from the ampho. His dr chose Nebs so he wouldn't.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
No he didn't have fevers that I recall. His sputum culture didn't show mold but his pfts improved because he felt better over all. He did not have side effects from the ampho. His dr chose Nebs so he wouldn't.

Jane

Digital opinion leader