Need advice for a $54,000 hospital bill

A friend of mine with CF was just in the hospital in August. He didn't have insurance for a few months because he wasn't in school full time. He registered for school in July, was told any claim from Aug. 1 through Dec. 31 would be covered, went in the hospital on August 3, and now the insurance company isn't paying. They said the lady who opened his file again shouldn't have. Now he's getting stuck with the bill because this lady made a mistake. Has anyone ever been in this situation? or have any advice?

A friend of mine with CF was just in the hospital in August. He didn't have insurance for a few months because he wasn't in school full time. He registered for school in July, was told any claim from Aug. 1 through Dec. 31 would be covered, went in the hospital on August 3, and now the insurance company isn't paying. They said the lady who opened his file again shouldn't have. Now he's getting stuck with the bill because this lady made a mistake. Has anyone ever been in this situation? or have any advice?

anonymous

basically he has to just keep at it on the phones with the insurance company. Yelling, whining and getting upset really doesn't help matters--insurance companies aren't known for caving in to a situation. Tell him to just keep working through the proper channels to get things taken care of. It may take quite awhile.

I don't think just based on the "he said/ she said" aspects of what you posted that anyone can really be much help. Certainly the $ amount is staggering, but it is each person's responsibility to make sure they submit claims to insurance based on their insurance provider's requirements.

I'm sorry if that sounds unsympathetic, I just don't see what help anyone here can offer other than to encourage your friend to follow it up diligently.

anonymous

basically he has to just keep at it on the phones with the insurance company. Yelling, whining and getting upset really doesn't help matters--insurance companies aren't known for caving in to a situation. Tell him to just keep working through the proper channels to get things taken care of. It may take quite awhile.

I don't think just based on the "he said/ she said" aspects of what you posted that anyone can really be much help. Certainly the $ amount is staggering, but it is each person's responsibility to make sure they submit claims to insurance based on their insurance provider's requirements.

I'm sorry if that sounds unsympathetic, I just don't see what help anyone here can offer other than to encourage your friend to follow it up diligently.

anonymous

anonymous

talk to the hospital about getting the bill reduced. I have no insurance and haven't had to pay anything for my last things of lab work, ER visits, xrays etc

Most hospitals have financial aid type things. Doesn't hurt to try talking to someone at the hospital and seeing what they can do for him

anonymous

talk to the hospital about getting the bill reduced. I have no insurance and haven't had to pay anything for my last things of lab work, ER visits, xrays etc

Most hospitals have financial aid type things. Doesn't hurt to try talking to someone at the hospital and seeing what they can do for him

anonymous

Kimmiek

Find out the date the insurance went in force. If it was August 1, then the insurance company needs to pay the bill. Don't know if he's done this, but has he submitted a proper claim? and a complaint?
I had a problem with one of the big insurance companies out there and it took several tries to get them to pay, and even longer to get the bills off my credit. I switched from one company to the other during that time, what a mess!

But the date it went into effect is key..As long as the "lady" was right and the date was Aug 1, then there is no reason they shouldn't pay (on a group policy).

Now if all else fails and the insurance company does not pay, you can avoid any medical bill from going into collections by paying 10 or 20 per month. Even if it takes him the rest of his life to pay it off, it does not matter. Legally they can't place it for collections as long as he pays "something" each month.

Best of Luck to your Friend!

Kimmiek

Find out the date the insurance went in force. If it was August 1, then the insurance company needs to pay the bill. Don't know if he's done this, but has he submitted a proper claim? and a complaint?
I had a problem with one of the big insurance companies out there and it took several tries to get them to pay, and even longer to get the bills off my credit. I switched from one company to the other during that time, what a mess!

But the date it went into effect is key..As long as the "lady" was right and the date was Aug 1, then there is no reason they shouldn't pay (on a group policy).

Now if all else fails and the insurance company does not pay, you can avoid any medical bill from going into collections by paying 10 or 20 per month. Even if it takes him the rest of his life to pay it off, it does not matter. Legally they can't place it for collections as long as he pays "something" each month.

Kimmiek

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Kimmiek</b></i>

Best of Luck to your Friend!</end quote></div>

This isnt completely true. A provider can refer it to a collection agency hoping to expedite the full payment. If the patient only sends in a small amount, but it is verified that more could be able to be sent then "something each month" doesnt work. I will say as a rule they wont bother you, but there are providers (such as the local hospital I worked at) that dont want to monitor long term budget accounts themselves & refer to outside agencies. If these agenecies find fault in the current arrangement & can do better then they try. I would recommend if no head way is made with the insurance company to have your friend check with the hospital about their Charity Care Programs. Depending on the program it might/might not require applying for Medicaid &/or cover hospital bills entirely or on a sliding scale.

BTW this can be done even Under the Fair Collections Act because it is classified as a budget monitoring agency not necessarily a collection agency even if they provide both services.

JazzysMom

This isnt completely true. A provider can refer it to a collection agency hoping to expedite the full payment. If the patient only sends in a small amount, but it is verified that more could be able to be sent then "something each month" doesnt work. I will say as a rule they wont bother you, but there are providers (such as the local hospital I worked at) that dont want to monitor long term budget accounts themselves & refer to outside agencies. If these agenecies find fault in the current arrangement & can do better then they try. I would recommend if no head way is made with the insurance company to have your friend check with the hospital about their Charity Care Programs. Depending on the program it might/might not require applying for Medicaid &/or cover hospital bills entirely or on a sliding scale.

BTW this can be done even Under the Fair Collections Act because it is classified as a budget monitoring agency not necessarily a collection agency even if they provide both services.

JazzysMom

Landy

Assuming that your friend lives in the States, there should be a State Insurance Commissioner in his state. They may be able to point him in the right direction & give him some answers/suggestions.

Landy

Assuming that your friend lives in the States, there should be a State Insurance Commissioner in his state. They may be able to point him in the right direction & give him some answers/suggestions.

Landy