Need Advice

djotroy17

I am only 18, and have been healthy my entire life. However the past few months I have had an occasional cough (especially at night and in the morning), sometimes it keeps me up at night. Anyways I went to see a pulmo doctor for the first time since I moved to Florida. I don't think he deals with CF much because he doesnt seem to act like its as serious as my previous doctors did. I think he deals more with asma patients. Anyways I got a lung X-ray and did some PFT tests. The doctor didnt see the lung X-ray, but he said the report on it was that my lungs were normal but I had a small dot or spec on my left lung...the doctor said that its probly nothing and that the person who examined the x-ray just didnt know i wasnt a smoker. My PFT's were good, all of them were in the 100% and up for lung funtions. Anyways I am guessing that spot on my lung is the reson for the cough I have been having. The doctor said he would take a look at the x-ray, and if he suspected it could be something that he would have me take a catscan.

I guess I have 2 questions:

1. From your experiences, what would you suspect the dot/spec to be?

2. What is a catscan, and does it involve a needle/shot?

djotroy17

I am only 18, and have been healthy my entire life. However the past few months I have had an occasional cough (especially at night and in the morning), sometimes it keeps me up at night. Anyways I went to see a pulmo doctor for the first time since I moved to Florida. I don't think he deals with CF much because he doesnt seem to act like its as serious as my previous doctors did. I think he deals more with asma patients. Anyways I got a lung X-ray and did some PFT tests. The doctor didnt see the lung X-ray, but he said the report on it was that my lungs were normal but I had a small dot or spec on my left lung...the doctor said that its probly nothing and that the person who examined the x-ray just didnt know i wasnt a smoker. My PFT's were good, all of them were in the 100% and up for lung funtions. Anyways I am guessing that spot on my lung is the reson for the cough I have been having. The doctor said he would take a look at the x-ray, and if he suspected it could be something that he would have me take a catscan.

djotroy17

NoExcuses

1. could be an infection

Why don't you go to a CF center in Florida? They're specialized in CF care and can give you superior care than someone who does just general pulmonology.

NoExcuses

1. could be an infection

Why don't you go to a CF center in Florida? They're specialized in CF care and can give you superior care than someone who does just general pulmonology.

NoExcuses

1. could be an infection

Diane

It may also be scar tissue ............
A cat scan does not involve a needle unless the Dr. wants you to have contrast ( dye). The cat scan consists of you laying on a table and the table moves thru a big round hollow machine that scans your lungs. Its not like an MRI because this machine isnt long. Just imagine yourself going thru a large doughnut....lol

Diane

A cat scan does not involve a needle unless the Dr. wants you to have contrast ( dye). The cat scan consists of you laying on a table and the table moves thru a big round hollow machine that scans your lungs. Its not like an MRI because this machine isnt long. Just imagine yourself going thru a large doughnut....lol

Diane

djotroy17

Thanks for quick responces. My dad likes the doctor and thinks hes good, I told him that I didnt think he knew much about CF and that I wanted to go to a CF center, so within the next few months I will be getting setup with a CF center down here.

Anyways, say it is a plug, scar tissue, or infection...what would this mean, and how would I fix or get rid of the problem?

djotroy17

Thanks for quick responces. My dad likes the doctor and thinks hes good, I told him that I didnt think he knew much about CF and that I wanted to go to a CF center, so within the next few months I will be getting setup with a CF center down here.

Anyways, say it is a plug, scar tissue, or infection...what would this mean, and how would I fix or get rid of the problem?

djotroy17

Chaggie

if it's scar tissue, there isn't anything that can be done about that.

if it's a plug you could step up the PT/vest and increase your treatments it it works it's way out.

If it's an infection you'll need antibiotics. Oral ones could clear it up, but you might need IV's.

Don't wait it on it though, it it is an infection you don't want it to get worse. Set up something with the CF center ASAP.

Other than that how you doing, still playing hockey?

Chaggie

if it's a plug you could step up the PT/vest and increase your treatments it it works it's way out.

If it's an infection you'll need antibiotics. Oral ones could clear it up, but you might need IV's.

Don't wait it on it though, it it is an infection you don't want it to get worse. Set up something with the CF center ASAP.

Chaggie

djotroy17

Ya, I am still playing hockey...I just got my first hatrick 2 weeks ago too. I am thinking this is an infection...I dont think its scar tissue because I don't know why my healthy lungs would be scarred, I dont think its a plug because I dont feel like theres an obstruction in my airtubes and my PFT's were good. My guess is the infection is causing the cough. I have some antibiotics (Augmentum) does anyone know if this would help stop a lung infection? I rarley ever take antibiotics even when I am sick just because I know if I use them alot they eventually wont work as well or will stop working, and I don't want to make the antibiotics not work when I get older and may really need them.

djotroy17

Ya, I am still playing hockey...I just got my first hatrick 2 weeks ago too. I am thinking this is an infection...I dont think its scar tissue because I don't know why my healthy lungs would be scarred, I dont think its a plug because I dont feel like theres an obstruction in my airtubes and my PFT's were good. My guess is the infection is causing the cough. I have some antibiotics (Augmentum) does anyone know if this would help stop a lung infection? I rarley ever take antibiotics even when I am sick just because I know if I use them alot they eventually wont work as well or will stop working, and I don't want to make the antibiotics not work when I get older and may really need them.