Need help, tired of poop!

cincycf

Our six year old daughter has had problems with digestion and bowel movements for years. She often gets partial blocks of hard stool in her rectum, and has been hospitalized once with a total blockage. Her appetite is weak and she is losing weight because the blocks fill her up with gas. It is very tough for us to figure out what is happening.
Right now they have us giving her 1 chocalate exlax square every other day and 17g of Miralax daily. Yesterday she soiled her pullups 6 times I think with applesauce like consistency. The day before that she only went once. Needless to say, we are confused. We have tried many different enzyme combinations involving Pancreacarb and Creon. She is on the maximum dose for her age and weight already. She takes Omneprazole as well for acid.
What are symptoms of too many enzymes?
What else can we do to help her digest her food?
Could her body be addicted to exlax?

She is a good eater when she isn't blocked. But for some reason she isn't processing the food very well I think.
Thanks for listening.

Ryan and Pam

cincycf

Our six year old daughter has had problems with digestion and bowel movements for years. She often gets partial blocks of hard stool in her rectum, and has been hospitalized once with a total blockage. Her appetite is weak and she is losing weight because the blocks fill her up with gas. It is very tough for us to figure out what is happening.
Right now they have us giving her 1 chocalate exlax square every other day and 17g of Miralax daily. Yesterday she soiled her pullups 6 times I think with applesauce like consistency. The day before that she only went once. Needless to say, we are confused. We have tried many different enzyme combinations involving Pancreacarb and Creon. She is on the maximum dose for her age and weight already. She takes Omneprazole as well for acid.

She is a good eater when she isn't blocked. But for some reason she isn't processing the food very well I think.
Thanks for listening.

Ryan and Pam

cincycf

Thanks for listening.

Ryan and Pam

cincycf

Thanks for listening.

Ryan and Pam

cincycf

<br /> Right now they have us giving her 1 chocalate exlax square every other day and 17g of Miralax daily. Yesterday she soiled her pullups 6 times I think with applesauce like consistency. The day before that she only went once. Needless to say, we are confused. We have tried many different enzyme combinations involving Pancreacarb and Creon. She is on the maximum dose for her age and weight already. She takes Omneprazole as well for acid.
<br /> What are symptoms of too many enzymes?
<br /> What else can we do to help her digest her food?
<br /> Could her body be addicted to exlax?
<br />
<br />She is a good eater when she isn't blocked. But for some reason she isn't processing the food very well I think.
<br />Thanks for listening.
<br />
<br />Ryan and Pam

jesuscantu

Dear Ryan and Pam,
Hello, my name is Jesus I live in Monterrey, Mexico. I was diagnosed with CF at 2yo, thank god I am 34 now.

I´m no doctor but let me tell you what works for me regarding my diet.

Avoid:
Oily food such as french fries, nuggets, hamburgers, or any fried food. Eating meat for several days. Too much bread. Oily spaghettis, pastas, etc. Doritos, chips etc..
Cokes..

Good:
Try drinking non-gas beverages such as koolaid, fruit juices etc...
Try eating food with very little oil.
Try eating a lot of boiled vegetable with a little butter and soy sauce.
Try eating a lot of fruits.
Try eating food rich in fiber, branflakes, prunes etc...
Try eating non-oily fish and chicken.
Try drinking a lot of water.
Toasted Turkey and velveeta sandwiches are good for my stomach.

I used to have the same problem as your daughter when I was young, I must have stopped by the hospital at least 12 or 14 times with a very hard stomach ache. After 26yo I´ve only been once with the same symptons.

I hope this helps your daughter..
Please say hi and let her know that she has a friend in Mexico with CF.

jesuscantu

Dear Ryan and Pam,
Hello, my name is Jesus I live in Monterrey, Mexico. I was diagnosed with CF at 2yo, thank god I am 34 now.

Avoid:
Oily food such as french fries, nuggets, hamburgers, or any fried food. Eating meat for several days. Too much bread. Oily spaghettis, pastas, etc. Doritos, chips etc..
Cokes..

Good:

I used to have the same problem as your daughter when I was young, I must have stopped by the hospital at least 12 or 14 times with a very hard stomach ache. After 26yo I´ve only been once with the same symptons.

jesuscantu

Dear Ryan and Pam,

Avoid:
Cokes..

Good:

jesuscantu

Dear Ryan and Pam,

Avoid:
Cokes..

Good:

jesuscantu

Dear Ryan and Pam,
<br />Hello, my name is Jesus I live in Monterrey, Mexico. I was diagnosed with CF at 2yo, thank god I am 34 now.
<br />
<br />I´m no doctor but let me tell you what works for me regarding my diet.
<br />
<br />Avoid:
<br />Oily food such as french fries, nuggets, hamburgers, or any fried food. Eating meat for several days. Too much bread. Oily spaghettis, pastas, etc. Doritos, chips etc..
<br />Cokes..
<br />
<br />Good:
<br />Try drinking non-gas beverages such as koolaid, fruit juices etc...
<br />Try eating food with very little oil.
<br />Try eating a lot of boiled vegetable with a little butter and soy sauce.
<br />Try eating a lot of fruits.
<br />Try eating food rich in fiber, branflakes, prunes etc...
<br />Try eating non-oily fish and chicken.
<br />Try drinking a lot of water.
<br />Toasted Turkey and velveeta sandwiches are good for my stomach.
<br />
<br />I used to have the same problem as your daughter when I was young, I must have stopped by the hospital at least 12 or 14 times with a very hard stomach ache. After 26yo I´ve only been once with the same symptons.
<br />
<br />I hope this helps your daughter..
<br />Please say hi and let her know that she has a friend in Mexico with CF.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised they have her on exlax, which is a stimulant kind of laxative, which can cause extremely loose stools right away. With DS we usually tried milk of magnesia which works similarly to miralax to draw water back into the colon.

As far as too many enzymes -- DS usually has hardener stools and gets a bright red irritated monkey butt, which goes away with butt paste. But he also gets that if he doesn't wipe properly or when he was a baby and had extremely frequent, loose stools.

I do know of a local family who had issues with their child not gaining weight, loose stools and constipation issues, who I believe gave their child oral mucomyst.

We recently found out that with DS his surgery as a baby caused scarring, which slowed down his digestion, making it so his enzymes weren't working as well. It wasn't until he had an obstruction, which required surgery to get rid of the blockage that they discovered this. We actually increased his enzymes now and he has normal stool.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised they have her on exlax, which is a stimulant kind of laxative, which can cause extremely loose stools right away. With DS we usually tried milk of magnesia which works similarly to miralax to draw water back into the colon.

As far as too many enzymes -- DS usually has hardener stools and gets a bright red irritated monkey butt, which goes away with butt paste. But he also gets that if he doesn't wipe properly or when he was a baby and had extremely frequent, loose stools.

I do know of a local family who had issues with their child not gaining weight, loose stools and constipation issues, who I believe gave their child oral mucomyst.

We recently found out that with DS his surgery as a baby caused scarring, which slowed down his digestion, making it so his enzymes weren't working as well. It wasn't until he had an obstruction, which required surgery to get rid of the blockage that they discovered this. We actually increased his enzymes now and he has normal stool.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />As far as too many enzymes -- DS usually has hardener stools and gets a bright red irritated monkey butt, which goes away with butt paste. But he also gets that if he doesn't wipe properly or when he was a baby and had extremely frequent, loose stools.
<br />
<br />I do know of a local family who had issues with their child not gaining weight, loose stools and constipation issues, who I believe gave their child oral mucomyst.
<br />
<br />We recently found out that with DS his surgery as a baby caused scarring, which slowed down his digestion, making it so his enzymes weren't working as well. It wasn't until he had an obstruction, which required surgery to get rid of the blockage that they discovered this. We actually increased his enzymes now and he has normal stool.

jbrandonAW

I would first look at changing her diet. More water, less sugary drinks, more fruit and veggies. LESS oily fatty foods. I know fatty foods are the CF diet of choice BUT they can do bad things to our tummys. There are other ways to get calories b/ oily/bad foods. Lots of breads, rice, lean protien (chicken, beans -hummus is great), lots of milk/yogart/cheese

I would also try and get her off the exlax and get her on just miralax and try mil of magnesia.

Too many enzymes would equal constipation and tummy pain - too few enzymes equals less stools and tummy pain.

I don't take may enzymes across the board. I find that if I use 6 every time I eat something I can't go to the bathroom and I am in alot of pain. SO I take them based on how much I am eating. If I am having a meal meal, Ill take 6, a little snack anywhere from 2-6, I find that days where I am eating alot of food and seem to be taking in LOTS of enzymes yes I will skip some. I find that this allows my bowels to be normal.

Its taken me some time and playing with them to find what helps me. *IMO* I say play with them and find what works BEST for your daughter. B/C all docs will say no you need to do xxx b/c thats what they want. But obviously this is NOT working for your daughter so its time to try something new.

Good Luck -PM me if you need more info on diet changes

jbrandonAW

I would first look at changing her diet. More water, less sugary drinks, more fruit and veggies. LESS oily fatty foods. I know fatty foods are the CF diet of choice BUT they can do bad things to our tummys. There are other ways to get calories b/ oily/bad foods. Lots of breads, rice, lean protien (chicken, beans -hummus is great), lots of milk/yogart/cheese

I would also try and get her off the exlax and get her on just miralax and try mil of magnesia.

Too many enzymes would equal constipation and tummy pain - too few enzymes equals less stools and tummy pain.

I don't take may enzymes across the board. I find that if I use 6 every time I eat something I can't go to the bathroom and I am in alot of pain. SO I take them based on how much I am eating. If I am having a meal meal, Ill take 6, a little snack anywhere from 2-6, I find that days where I am eating alot of food and seem to be taking in LOTS of enzymes yes I will skip some. I find that this allows my bowels to be normal.

Its taken me some time and playing with them to find what helps me. *IMO* I say play with them and find what works BEST for your daughter. B/C all docs will say no you need to do xxx b/c thats what they want. But obviously this is NOT working for your daughter so its time to try something new.

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />I would also try and get her off the exlax and get her on just miralax and try mil of magnesia.
<br />
<br />Too many enzymes would equal constipation and tummy pain - too few enzymes equals less stools and tummy pain.
<br />
<br />I don't take may enzymes across the board. I find that if I use 6 every time I eat something I can't go to the bathroom and I am in alot of pain. SO I take them based on how much I am eating. If I am having a meal meal, Ill take 6, a little snack anywhere from 2-6, I find that days where I am eating alot of food and seem to be taking in LOTS of enzymes yes I will skip some. I find that this allows my bowels to be normal.
<br />
<br />Its taken me some time and playing with them to find what helps me. *IMO* I say play with them and find what works BEST for your daughter. B/C all docs will say no you need to do xxx b/c thats what they want. But obviously this is NOT working for your daughter so its time to try something new.
<br />
<br />Good Luck -PM me if you need more info on diet changes