Need help with a 504 plan

hlgconk

Hi. I just heard from my daughter's school dist. that they do not think that she needs a 504, I disagree! The dist. will grant and put all of my reasonable request in writing on the school "health plan" but will not grant a 504 at this time. The director of Special education feels that if she doesn't need the accomondations now then why a 504? I feel that waiting for her to become ill and need accomondations is not they way to go. Any feedback??

I thought that with a dx and a dr. documentation that she was entitled to a 504. ( Can't imagin that a school Dist. dr. would reallt want to debate CF w/ a children's hospital) Does her "disability" have to impact on her learning to warrant a 504?? ( She is only in first grade.) Do I need an advocate? Tahnks for in advance for any suggestions.

hlgconk

Hi. I just heard from my daughter's school dist. that they do not think that she needs a 504, I disagree! The dist. will grant and put all of my reasonable request in writing on the school "health plan" but will not grant a 504 at this time. The director of Special education feels that if she doesn't need the accomondations now then why a 504? I feel that waiting for her to become ill and need accomondations is not they way to go. Any feedback??

I thought that with a dx and a dr. documentation that she was entitled to a 504. ( Can't imagin that a school Dist. dr. would reallt want to debate CF w/ a children's hospital) Does her "disability" have to impact on her learning to warrant a 504?? ( She is only in first grade.) Do I need an advocate? Tahnks for in advance for any suggestions.

CFHockeyMom

I thought that the school had to set up a 504 for kids that qualify and as far as I know CF qualifies. They are required to make reasonable accomdations for your child based on the ADA.

We've had some trouble with our district as well and had to bring in a social worker (from our CF center) and our attorney.

Good luck.

CFHockeyMom

I thought that the school had to set up a 504 for kids that qualify and as far as I know CF qualifies. They are required to make reasonable accomdations for your child based on the ADA.

We've had some trouble with our district as well and had to bring in a social worker (from our CF center) and our attorney.

Good luck.

JazzysMom

I am not aware of them being able to deny a 504. I am not saying they cant, but I dont understand how. Maybe speak to the social worker at your CF office & see what they say!

JazzysMom

I am not aware of them being able to deny a 504. I am not saying they cant, but I dont understand how. Maybe speak to the social worker at your CF office & see what they say!

anonymous

It varies state to state, I think. I've known districts to deny 504's for things like non-verbal learning disorders, "circumstantial" ADD, and out of the ordinary learning difficulties. But, I think cf should qualify any student in most states, simply becaulse of it's medical nature. You are definatley entitled to a "Hearing" with school staff, your social worker, the district social worker and special needs laision. You are very smart to get it established now. The last thing you want to do is to try to get accomodations put into place when she's ill and you are stressed. Fight them if they resist. Get to know a school psychologist in the didtrict. They are often the best go-between for parents and the administrators. Good luck. Let us know what finally works!

anonymous

It varies state to state, I think. I've known districts to deny 504's for things like non-verbal learning disorders, "circumstantial" ADD, and out of the ordinary learning difficulties. But, I think cf should qualify any student in most states, simply becaulse of it's medical nature. You are definatley entitled to a "Hearing" with school staff, your social worker, the district social worker and special needs laision. You are very smart to get it established now. The last thing you want to do is to try to get accomodations put into place when she's ill and you are stressed. Fight them if they resist. Get to know a school psychologist in the didtrict. They are often the best go-between for parents and the administrators. Good luck. Let us know what finally works!

anonymous

My daughter is also in first grade, and at the beginning of the year I asked for a 504 plan. I was told that we wouldn't need one until she got alittle older or if she had a teacher that was not doing her/his job correctly.I asked why? She said because it's only first grade! I thought only first grade you learn so much in first grade duh! Anyways I have been in a battle with them ever since. Her teacher feels that maybe she is not doing her job correctly, but thats not the case. She has missed so much school this year she is falling behind she needs the extra help or time in class. If they can't see that We will be going to a different school next year with a 504 plan!!!

anonymous

My daughter is also in first grade, and at the beginning of the year I asked for a 504 plan. I was told that we wouldn't need one until she got alittle older or if she had a teacher that was not doing her/his job correctly.I asked why? She said because it's only first grade! I thought only first grade you learn so much in first grade duh! Anyways I have been in a battle with them ever since. Her teacher feels that maybe she is not doing her job correctly, but thats not the case. She has missed so much school this year she is falling behind she needs the extra help or time in class. If they can't see that We will be going to a different school next year with a 504 plan!!!

anonymous

ok, a lot of info that you seem to be getting from the district seems to come from their own misunderstanding of disability (sadly, very common). It is traditional to hold back in giving a kindergartener or first grader a "special ed" label if there seems to be a slight academic or behavioral delay. The thinking is that they might grow out of it as they develop. Obviously, people don't grow out of CF. The same is a problem for children with severe delays or things like autism. They need to be protected earlier but districts hide behind this "grow out of it" rule of thumb. Read: this is a general rule of thumb-not law that says they deny your child assistance! It is irritating and infuriating to me that school districts will do this to a child. Here's a suggestion: request a meeting with the school social worker and nurse. If necessary, involve the principal. Or go straight to the superintendent's office. Explain CF in a way that illustrates your child's potential need for assistance at unexpected times. Also point out that your child is protected under ADA and the educational equivalent (for some reason, the name escapes me right now-ugh). Then also let them know you are prepared to follow up with a lawyer, if necessary. The bottom line is that they don't want to spend money. They are legally responsible to care for all of your child's academic and medical needs in a way that is most valuable to your child. They will not risk the lawsuit-which would also cost them tons of money. Please don't just back down-they are being foolish, lazy, and immoral, if you ask me. If they are acting this way now, just think about how difficult they will make an already tough situation when you really do need help.

anonymous

ok, a lot of info that you seem to be getting from the district seems to come from their own misunderstanding of disability (sadly, very common). It is traditional to hold back in giving a kindergartener or first grader a "special ed" label if there seems to be a slight academic or behavioral delay. The thinking is that they might grow out of it as they develop. Obviously, people don't grow out of CF. The same is a problem for children with severe delays or things like autism. They need to be protected earlier but districts hide behind this "grow out of it" rule of thumb. Read: this is a general rule of thumb-not law that says they deny your child assistance! It is irritating and infuriating to me that school districts will do this to a child. Here's a suggestion: request a meeting with the school social worker and nurse. If necessary, involve the principal. Or go straight to the superintendent's office. Explain CF in a way that illustrates your child's potential need for assistance at unexpected times. Also point out that your child is protected under ADA and the educational equivalent (for some reason, the name escapes me right now-ugh). Then also let them know you are prepared to follow up with a lawyer, if necessary. The bottom line is that they don't want to spend money. They are legally responsible to care for all of your child's academic and medical needs in a way that is most valuable to your child. They will not risk the lawsuit-which would also cost them tons of money. Please don't just back down-they are being foolish, lazy, and immoral, if you ask me. If they are acting this way now, just think about how difficult they will make an already tough situation when you really do need help.

EmilysMom

I was lucky when it came to Emily's 504 as I work in the school system she was in and just went directly to the Special Ed Supervisor and chatted with him. Her plan was in effect within 4 days. BUT every CF child is entitled to a 504 under the ADA Act. Go directly to the Superintendent's office and make him/her understand that you know your child's rights and that your child's need for a 504 plan is because his/her health is so unreliable (not the right word but I can't find the one I'm searching for), trhe plan shoul dbe in effect before it is actually needed. Children are eligible for home tutoring so they don't fall behind because of hospitalizations..they are eligible for special setups in classrooms (being able to leave for water or a bathroom break, etc.).
You are your child's best advocate.....Hang in there and fight a good fight!

EmilysMom

I was lucky when it came to Emily's 504 as I work in the school system she was in and just went directly to the Special Ed Supervisor and chatted with him. Her plan was in effect within 4 days. BUT every CF child is entitled to a 504 under the ADA Act. Go directly to the Superintendent's office and make him/her understand that you know your child's rights and that your child's need for a 504 plan is because his/her health is so unreliable (not the right word but I can't find the one I'm searching for), trhe plan shoul dbe in effect before it is actually needed. Children are eligible for home tutoring so they don't fall behind because of hospitalizations..they are eligible for special setups in classrooms (being able to leave for water or a bathroom break, etc.).
You are your child's best advocate.....Hang in there and fight a good fight!

hlgconk

Thanks for all of your input and great suggestions! After I told the "team" that I had no problem bring an advocate and going to an impartial hearing we did get the 504 plan. I have to say that it is troubling that she would not get it if I did not insist! Seems crazy!!!

hlgconk

Thanks for all of your input and great suggestions! After I told the "team" that I had no problem bring an advocate and going to an impartial hearing we did get the 504 plan. I have to say that it is troubling that she would not get it if I did not insist! Seems crazy!!!

anonymous

I'm glad that your daughter got the 504 plan that she deserved--good for you! You're right, it is crazy to have go to such lengths just to get what is right for your child.

anonymous

I'm glad that your daughter got the 504 plan that she deserved--good for you! You're right, it is crazy to have go to such lengths just to get what is right for your child.

anonymous

I am glad you asked this question. We moved in Oct and now I am getting a 504 plan with this new school. I had to talk with the nurse and special ed department and they recommended a 504. I am going feb 22 to meet with the school. Our other school we were at before we moved did not want a 504. I live in Illionois and have Dscc it is for children with special needs. My case worker recommended a 504. Cf children have rights and I think all schools should be aware of this. We have 4 grade schools and they also want to discuss putting her and my son also with cf who will be in kindergarten in fall in a school with a full time nurse on staff. Which I think is a good idea. I will find out more on the 22nd.
Mother of 2children w/cf and 1 w/o cf

anonymous

I am glad you asked this question. We moved in Oct and now I am getting a 504 plan with this new school. I had to talk with the nurse and special ed department and they recommended a 504. I am going feb 22 to meet with the school. Our other school we were at before we moved did not want a 504. I live in Illionois and have Dscc it is for children with special needs. My case worker recommended a 504. Cf children have rights and I think all schools should be aware of this. We have 4 grade schools and they also want to discuss putting her and my son also with cf who will be in kindergarten in fall in a school with a full time nurse on staff. Which I think is a good idea. I will find out more on the 22nd.
Mother of 2children w/cf and 1 w/o cf