Need help with supplements for an infant

petnurse

Hello, I have a healthy 2 month old CF baby. We have been giving him his enzymeswith a spoonful of applesauce. He is tolerating this well. Last week, they had us start adding salt to his diet. It is only a small packet (1/8 tsp) a day. I put a small amount in his milk and he barely drank it. Then, I started to put some in his applesauce. He wouldn't finish it. So, I wondered if anyone has any helpful hints. He also takes the Aquadeks vitamins and Zantac for reflux. I hate that everything put in his mouth is nasty! Thanks..

petnurse

Hello, I have a healthy 2 month old CF baby. We have been giving him his enzymeswith a spoonful of applesauce. He is tolerating this well. Last week, they had us start adding salt to his diet. It is only a small packet (1/8 tsp) a day. I put a small amount in his milk and he barely drank it. Then, I started to put some in his applesauce. He wouldn't finish it. So, I wondered if anyone has any helpful hints. He also takes the Aquadeks vitamins and Zantac for reflux. I hate that everything put in his mouth is nasty! Thanks..

petnurse

petnurse

petnurse

crickit715

i would definatley try the milk again and not the applesauce...they can get the milk down their throat alot quicker than the applesauce so the taste doesnt linger as long...i had the same problem with my daughter at first, but she got to the point where i was able to even put her adeks and the salt in the bottles of formula and she still drank them. (because as you know, adeks is a MESS when they spit it out!!!) dont give up, it may take a couple trys!! good luck.

crickit715

i would definatley try the milk again and not the applesauce...they can get the milk down their throat alot quicker than the applesauce so the taste doesnt linger as long...i had the same problem with my daughter at first, but she got to the point where i was able to even put her adeks and the salt in the bottles of formula and she still drank them. (because as you know, adeks is a MESS when they spit it out!!!) dont give up, it may take a couple trys!! good luck.

crickit715

crickit715

crickit715

ctalbott0609

I'm going through the same thing now!! My daughter was born on June 3rd. I would say try the milk again. With such a small amount, he shouldn't be able to really taste the difference. The first time was probably just a fluke. Paige doesn't seem to notice at all, and I put a bit more then an 1/8th in her bottles, to make up for all the sweating she does in the extremely hot weather we have here.

Also, I found that if you give the Aquadeks & The Zantac at the same time, it causes Paige to puke. (I'm assuming it's the nastiness of the Zantac, mixed with the strong taste of the vitamins) Anyways, I just thought I'd throw that in. It took me going through soooo many stained outfits and bibs before I realized what was going on!!

If you ever need anything, just message me!

ctalbott0609

I'm going through the same thing now!! My daughter was born on June 3rd. I would say try the milk again. With such a small amount, he shouldn't be able to really taste the difference. The first time was probably just a fluke. Paige doesn't seem to notice at all, and I put a bit more then an 1/8th in her bottles, to make up for all the sweating she does in the extremely hot weather we have here.

Also, I found that if you give the Aquadeks & The Zantac at the same time, it causes Paige to puke. (I'm assuming it's the nastiness of the Zantac, mixed with the strong taste of the vitamins) Anyways, I just thought I'd throw that in. It took me going through soooo many stained outfits and bibs before I realized what was going on!!

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

<br />
<br />Also, I found that if you give the Aquadeks & The Zantac at the same time, it causes Paige to puke. (I'm assuming it's the nastiness of the Zantac, mixed with the strong taste of the vitamins) Anyways, I just thought I'd throw that in. It took me going through soooo many stained outfits and bibs before I realized what was going on!!
<br />
<br />If you ever need anything, just message me!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'd divide it up and add it to his bottles through out the day so it's not so noticeable. DS tolerated most of his meds with the exception of liquid septra, which ended up being a fountain of orangish pink -- it'd go in and back out again. Bleah.

I DID purchase several different sizes of oral syringes because using the dropper with the adeks, I'd sometimes walk across the room and find that it disappeared. I'd prepare all the liquid meds in oral syringes every evening and keep them in a baggie in the fridge, so I wasn't messing around with trying to prepare them when I had a hungry baby on my hands. And I'd usually give them to him while on the changing table before changing him prior to feeding him. Then I could keep the mess of any spilled meds confined to his washable changing table cover.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'd divide it up and add it to his bottles through out the day so it's not so noticeable. DS tolerated most of his meds with the exception of liquid septra, which ended up being a fountain of orangish pink -- it'd go in and back out again. Bleah.

I DID purchase several different sizes of oral syringes because using the dropper with the adeks, I'd sometimes walk across the room and find that it disappeared. I'd prepare all the liquid meds in oral syringes every evening and keep them in a baggie in the fridge, so I wasn't messing around with trying to prepare them when I had a hungry baby on my hands. And I'd usually give them to him while on the changing table before changing him prior to feeding him. Then I could keep the mess of any spilled meds confined to his washable changing table cover.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I DID purchase several different sizes of oral syringes because using the dropper with the adeks, I'd sometimes walk across the room and find that it disappeared. I'd prepare all the liquid meds in oral syringes every evening and keep them in a baggie in the fridge, so I wasn't messing around with trying to prepare them when I had a hungry baby on my hands. And I'd usually give them to him while on the changing table before changing him prior to feeding him. Then I could keep the mess of any spilled meds confined to his washable changing table cover.