Need MIC-key help/suggestion & Tobi question

CJPsMom

Our little guy got his g-tube switched to a mic key yesterday and we're in need of guidance.<br><br>For continuous overnight feeds - how do you keep it connected?  Are you taping the extension to the button?<br><br>Does the continuous extension really "lock"?  The sample they showed us in the hospital didn't, but the RN said that was because it was old.  However, when we did it at home, it doesn't "lock" either.  It gets harder to turn, but just a little turn past that part and it's freely moving again.<br><br>Do you have any problems with bolus feeds not draining completely?<br><br>On to Tobi -<br><br>Are you giving this while awake or asleep?  Were you given any guidance on best practice?<br><br>Thanks in advance...I know there's someone out there who has some suggestions!<br><br>

CJPsMom

Our little guy got his g-tube switched to a mic key yesterday and we're in need of guidance.<br><br>For continuous overnight feeds - how do you keep it connected? Are you taping the extension to the button?<br><br>Does the continuous extension really "lock"? The sample they showed us in the hospital didn't, but the RN said that was because it was old. However, when we did it at home, it doesn't "lock" either. It gets harder to turn, but just a little turn past that part and it's freely moving again.<br><br>Do you have any problems with bolus feeds not draining completely?<br><br>On to Tobi -<br><br>Are you giving this while awake or asleep? Were you given any guidance on best practice?<br><br>Thanks in advance...I know there's someone out there who has some suggestions!<br><br>

CJPsMom

Our little guy got his g-tube switched to a mic key yesterday and we're in need of guidance.<br><br>For continuous overnight feeds - how do you keep it connected? Are you taping the extension to the button?<br><br>Does the continuous extension really "lock"? The sample they showed us in the hospital didn't, but the RN said that was because it was old. However, when we did it at home, it doesn't "lock" either. It gets harder to turn, but just a little turn past that part and it's freely moving again.<br><br>Do you have any problems with bolus feeds not draining completely?<br><br>On to Tobi -<br><br>Are you giving this while awake or asleep? Were you given any guidance on best practice?<br><br>Thanks in advance...I know there's someone out there who has some suggestions!<br><br>

M

Mommafirst

I can't answer the TOBI questions, but I can try with mic-key. No the extension doesn't lock in that it will spin in the hole, but it would likely come out either. There is a ridge and it has to be perfectly aligned to come out. I do not tape to the button, but what I do is tape the extension to my daughter's hip on the outside of her PJs to face the extension down toward her knee. This makes it easier for me to hook up the formula if she's already asleep, and keeps her from getting tangles up by her waist or neck. If it tangles it will be by her feet and easy to kick out of. I also use an AMT clamp to hold the extension to the formula bag and use some coban to hold together the connection and hold tight the medport so that we don't get any leaking. All these precautions have made it so that we have only "fed the bed" a handful of times in the last 3 years.

M

Mommafirst

I can't answer the TOBI questions, but I can try with mic-key. No the extension doesn't lock in that it will spin in the hole, but it would likely come out either. There is a ridge and it has to be perfectly aligned to come out. I do not tape to the button, but what I do is tape the extension to my daughter's hip on the outside of her PJs to face the extension down toward her knee. This makes it easier for me to hook up the formula if she's already asleep, and keeps her from getting tangles up by her waist or neck. If it tangles it will be by her feet and easy to kick out of. I also use an AMT clamp to hold the extension to the formula bag and use some coban to hold together the connection and hold tight the medport so that we don't get any leaking. All these precautions have made it so that we have only "fed the bed" a handful of times in the last 3 years.

M

Mommafirst

<br />

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I used to tape the tubing to my hip. Similar to what she said above. I'm sure that works well. But, eventually I became so paranoid about the button popping out (due to bad experience in the past) now, I actually tape the button. I use a medical tape that doesn't irritate my skin. It's called Micropore. I still get nervous sometimes and I'm 20! I've had my tube since I was 11 years old. I was never able to do bolus feeds. I couldn't tolerate them. My stomach gets full too fast and I feel very sick.<div><br></div><div>Sorry, I can't answer your Tobi question.</div><div><br></div><div>Hugs to you</div>

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I used to tape the tubing to my hip. Similar to what she said above. I'm sure that works well. But, eventually I became so paranoid about the button popping out (due to bad experience in the past) now, I actually tape the button. I use a medical tape that doesn't irritate my skin. It's called Micropore. I still get nervous sometimes and I'm 20! I've had my tube since I was 11 years old. I was never able to do bolus feeds. I couldn't tolerate them. My stomach gets full too fast and I feel very sick.<br>Sorry, I can't answer your Tobi question.<br>Hugs to you

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I used to tape the tubing to my hip. Similar to what she said above. I'm sure that works well. But, eventually I became so paranoid about the button popping out (due to bad experience in the past) now, I actually tape the button. I use a medical tape that doesn't irritate my skin. It's called Micropore. I still get nervous sometimes and I'm 20! I've had my tube since I was 11 years old. I was never able to do bolus feeds. I couldn't tolerate them. My stomach gets full too fast and I feel very sick.<br>Sorry, I can't answer your Tobi question.<br>Hugs to you

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We have done tobi in the early morning when DS is sleeping. I used to get up early and do cpt -- actually as a baby he would sleep or fall asleep during CPT, it seemed to calm him. Nowdays I get up early and strap on his vest, then I run take a shower. When he's done vesting and nebbing his duo neb, I hook up the tobi.

Ideally, it'd be great if he were awake; however, we feel sleep is also very important for him. In the afternoon, he sits up and does his tobi while playing video games or watching tv.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We have done tobi in the early morning when DS is sleeping. I used to get up early and do cpt -- actually as a baby he would sleep or fall asleep during CPT, it seemed to calm him. Nowdays I get up early and strap on his vest, then I run take a shower. When he's done vesting and nebbing his duo neb, I hook up the tobi.

Ideally, it'd be great if he were awake; however, we feel sleep is also very important for him. In the afternoon, he sits up and does his tobi while playing video games or watching tv.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Ideally, it'd be great if he were awake; however, we feel sleep is also very important for him. In the afternoon, he sits up and does his tobi while playing video games or watching tv.

hmw

The extension being able to spin in the hole reduces pulling on the button as they move around. It has never come off while Emily has been hooked up, whether she's been sleeping or running a feed awake and moving around with the backpack on. We don't tape the button or extension directly to her. We used to tape the extension to her leg but have found it to be less necessary now that she's used to it- and taping it to her made it hard for her to go to the bathroom. :) We tape the extension to the bag tubing and make sure to TAPE THE MEDPORT SHUT!! That medport popping open has led to the most messes! :-|

We don't do bolus feeds; but it makes sense it wouldn't drain completely since it's running by gravity and the last little bit in the extension is flowing against a full stomach- so it's easy to see why a little would be left. When I vent Emily tensing her belly muscles will also send stomach contents shooting up the extension, lol- and since she thinks this is hilarious, she makes it a point to see how high she can fill it up.... But anyway, we don't do bolus feeds because this type of supplementing didn't work prior to the tube (high cal during the day) and only replaced 'food' calories. She runs feeds at night, and daytime feeds when sick- as well as extra for hydration/miralax, etc as needed when obstructed, ill, etc. I LOVE the tube!!

I'm sorry- no help on the tobi. Other than knowing however you do the treatments, it's the last thing you do and shouldn't be done while vesting.

hmw

The extension being able to spin in the hole reduces pulling on the button as they move around. It has never come off while Emily has been hooked up, whether she's been sleeping or running a feed awake and moving around with the backpack on. We don't tape the button or extension directly to her. We used to tape the extension to her leg but have found it to be less necessary now that she's used to it- and taping it to her made it hard for her to go to the bathroom. :) We tape the extension to the bag tubing and make sure to TAPE THE MEDPORT SHUT!! That medport popping open has led to the most messes! :-|

We don't do bolus feeds; but it makes sense it wouldn't drain completely since it's running by gravity and the last little bit in the extension is flowing against a full stomach- so it's easy to see why a little would be left. When I vent Emily tensing her belly muscles will also send stomach contents shooting up the extension, lol- and since she thinks this is hilarious, she makes it a point to see how high she can fill it up.... But anyway, we don't do bolus feeds because this type of supplementing didn't work prior to the tube (high cal during the day) and only replaced 'food' calories. She runs feeds at night, and daytime feeds when sick- as well as extra for hydration/miralax, etc as needed when obstructed, ill, etc. I LOVE the tube!!

I'm sorry- no help on the tobi. Other than knowing however you do the treatments, it's the last thing you do and shouldn't be done while vesting.

hmw

<br />
<br />We don't do bolus feeds; but it makes sense it wouldn't drain completely since it's running by gravity and the last little bit in the extension is flowing against a full stomach- so it's easy to see why a little would be left. When I vent Emily tensing her belly muscles will also send stomach contents shooting up the extension, lol- and since she thinks this is hilarious, she makes it a point to see how high she can fill it up.... But anyway, we don't do bolus feeds because this type of supplementing didn't work prior to the tube (high cal during the day) and only replaced 'food' calories. She runs feeds at night, and daytime feeds when sick- as well as extra for hydration/miralax, etc as needed when obstructed, ill, etc. I LOVE the tube!!
<br />
<br />I'm sorry- no help on the tobi. Other than knowing however you do the treatments, it's the last thing you do and shouldn't be done while vesting.
<br />
<br />