Need quick advice from adults with cf

BabyBeauty

My 7 year old daughter didn't take her enzymes at school lunch yesterday. It was pretty fatty and high in protein. She has had a horrible night with stomach pain and continues this morning. She is in so much discomfort she won't go to school. She wants to go very badly because there is a big "market day" where they use there reward money to buy items. Anyways I digress. Is there anything I can give her or do for her that would help her feel better? The fun activity is in the afternoon and she wants to go.

Hi Babybeauty! I'm sorry I really don't know any advice other than taking Ibuprofen. My son would neglect taking his enzymes too growing up and sometimes still does when he is in a situation he doesn't want anyone to ask why he is taking pills. He always pays with it later as his stomach is in a lot of pain too. I honestly don't know other than Ibuprofen. I hope someone else knows better so your daughter can attend this afternoon.

jshet

Maybe try putting in a call to her cf clinic and ask. When we have forgotten on a few occassion, we just rode it out. Maybe it is still early enough for it to pass and get her to school in the afternoon. Hope she feels better in time.

jaimers

Super Moderator
That is the worst! When I realize I forgot my pills I'm like "Nooooooooooooooo!" :D Unfortunately I've always just toughed it out and waited for it to pass. Perhaps ibuprofen as someone else mentioned or another pain reliever that isn't has hard on the stomach just to get her through the afternoon so she can go to her event. If her school is aware of her health needs you could speak with her teacher and maybe have some things set aside for your daughter to "buy" on Monday?
hope she feels better soon.

ethan508

I hate it when I forget, but usually it will pass in a half day with the worse pain centered over 30 minutes. My stomach will hurt enough I don't want to work but not enough I don't want to play. I've participated in a lot of activities in the middle of stomach aches, including horse rides, swimming, and hikes. But I never seem to be able to do any dishes or fold any laundry when I'm crampy.

I really liked Pepto as a kid, but now I'm more for Tums and/or a Coke. They seem to help things settle down. Mostly it is just waiting until my body tells me it is time to work it out in the restroom.

BabyBeauty

Thank you for your replies! She still has an upset stomach and a minor temp at 99.8. I am now wondering if she has a stomach bug. If it was enzymes she should be over it by now...14 hours later.

W

windex125

ethan you always hv the best advice - I as well just wait it out, but I am new to this area just became P.insufficant last year... so I forget to often, just curious are you on Creon and how man do you take before each meal? That is what I take and the label says Creon 6000. I take 3 before ea. meal I was taking 2 but after the stay in the hospital early in the month they upted it to 3. But never saw a dietician? I am at the point in my life now that the clinic says ok do this now, and I just go with the flow and say OK - Pat-60/CF

ethan508

@windex125; I'm on Creon with 24000 lipase (the old Creon20s). I take 7 with meals (plus a bonus 1-3 if I'm eating a very large or very delicious meal like Ribs or Steak), 2-6 with snacks. More fat and more protein = more pills.

If I could go back 20-25 years, I would have spoken out more about my bad guts. My CF brothers didn't have the gut issues as bad. They take about 1/2 the enzymes I do, and ended up 5" taller and 50 lbs. heavier than me. I remember one specific instance as a 10 year old where I told the doctor I was using the bathroom 3-4 times a day. Both the Dr. and my Mom acted super surprised, and somewhat discredited my account. It wasn't until my teens that they finally upped my dose to closer to where it needed to be.e

One thing you could do to help get the enzymes right is keep a poop journal for a few weeks. Just keep a notebook on the back of the toilet and write down the times/dates you have bad guts. Also helpful would be writing down what things you ate (and the amount of enzymes you took) to cause the problem. If you take a journal into the doctor or dietician, then you have a far more objective data to get things pinned down.

imported_Momto2

Sometimes a digestive upset can last for a couple of days and can give me a low grade fever, so I wouldnt completely rule that out. I do know that if I eat something that has some fat in it (I usually avoid fat like the plague and dont take enzymes) that drinking green or black tea can really help with preventing digestive upset. Now Im not sure you want your kiddo ingesting mucho caffeine, but it does help. Hope your daughter feels better soon! I know where she's coming from...used to be in pain all the time as a kid and teen. Now I'm "pseudo-PS". Hehehhe.

W

windex125

the journal sounds like a great idea. I think I will start that, plus its March 1st you how sometimes people say ok I'm going to start that the 1st of the month. just my crazy sense of humor - mixed with a little OCD what I want the most is my red wine back.... I saw the gastro doctor last week and I told him abt missing my wine and I also said your lookg at me like I belong in AA but I don't care. I get together with the girls 2x a month they always order martini's I loved my red wine. He said maybe once a month and only one glass. that's like tryg to eat one potatoe chip..... Pat

rmotion

Stomach issues and gluten

I know you mentioned that your daughter forgot her meds for lunch and caused problems but once that time should of passed and still had issues. One thing that all should consider that have consistent GI problems even when you do take your pills is that you might have gluten sensitivity or actually celiac. CF issues mask many other problems. 30-40% of the population have gluten sensitivity. I had chronic GI problems and the only solution the docs could offer take more enzymes, take antacids, take PPI's, etc etc. Not until I went gluten free that my bowels went 180 and I actually had good poops. So her pain and fever could be other issues going on. Google "Dark side of Wheat" and see what is written about CF and wheat.
I noticed some others stating about how she is shorter than her sibling, this is also suspect and would behoove to look into.
I could not tolerate fats before also, there was too much inflammation and damage that the fats would just slip through. Now no problem I can load up on high calorie fats and obvioulsly have to take my enzymes but no comparison as to before.
Also daily probiotics is essential for all Cf's and Vitamin D, L-glutamine is good amino for the intestines and taurine.

To deal with current issues make sure she is getting lots of fluids that will help with moving things along and hydrates her. Also pepto bismol and such can help soothe irritated GI.