Need some advice from Lung Transplant Recipients

brogerson

I live in Canada and have been to Toronto to be screened for a double lung transplant. I have 27% lung function and have been given the choice to go on the list or wait until I am sicker. In the winter of 2007 I was sick for four months and lost 10% lung function in those four months. This winter I got the flu and it took another four months before I felt decent again. I am not yet on oxygen and just got back from a fishing trip and have been feeling very good the last couple of months. I am having a very hard time making a decision.

brogerson

I live in Canada and have been to Toronto to be screened for a double lung transplant. I have 27% lung function and have been given the choice to go on the list or wait until I am sicker. In the winter of 2007 I was sick for four months and lost 10% lung function in those four months. This winter I got the flu and it took another four months before I felt decent again. I am not yet on oxygen and just got back from a fishing trip and have been feeling very good the last couple of months. I am having a very hard time making a decision.

brogerson

brogerson

brogerson

nicolaj

Bob i totally no how you feel. It took me over a year take make the decision to be listed.The transplant co ordinter would keep saying to me, "you ready yet?" and i used to sh*t myself with terror! I kept saying to myself, "oh i feel really well this week,im coping, i dont need a transplant!!" But then id have days were i was lied in bed,really pissed off,knowing i needed new lungs. Winter is definately harder for me. That was one of the main reasons i decided to get listed in February. I was having such a hard time. Even though im listed now, i still have days were im feeling really well,and wished my pager would just dissapear! But i just have to be realistic, and remember those bad days were i never knew if i would get better. Im not really sure what else to say, but i think the more people you talk to about your fears, the easier it will be for you to make your decision. Please send a private message if you have any questions, or you just want to talk about whats going through ya head!

Take care Nicola xx

nicolaj

Bob i totally no how you feel. It took me over a year take make the decision to be listed.The transplant co ordinter would keep saying to me, "you ready yet?" and i used to sh*t myself with terror! I kept saying to myself, "oh i feel really well this week,im coping, i dont need a transplant!!" But then id have days were i was lied in bed,really pissed off,knowing i needed new lungs. Winter is definately harder for me. That was one of the main reasons i decided to get listed in February. I was having such a hard time. Even though im listed now, i still have days were im feeling really well,and wished my pager would just dissapear! But i just have to be realistic, and remember those bad days were i never knew if i would get better. Im not really sure what else to say, but i think the more people you talk to about your fears, the easier it will be for you to make your decision. Please send a private message if you have any questions, or you just want to talk about whats going through ya head!

Take care Nicola xx

nicolaj

Take care Nicola xx

nicolaj

Take care Nicola xx

nicolaj

<br />
<br />Take care Nicola xx

Buxxfan

Hey Bob,
I know it is a very hard decision to make, especially if you feel really well most of the time. When I was put on the list I was pretty damn sick. My FEV1 was around 20% and I was on oxygen so I really had no choice in the matter. I know doctors say don't wait until your too sick to be put on the list but if you can still do everything you want to in life, or most things, it makes the decision much more difficult. Only you make the final decision. There is a great transplant forum that I go to all the time, <b>Transplantbuddies.org</b>, that help and answer any questions you might have. If you post this question there you will get plenty of opinions and helpful suggestions. Like Nicola said, if you have any questions you can pm me anytime.

Take Care
- Kevin

Buxxfan

Hey Bob,
I know it is a very hard decision to make, especially if you feel really well most of the time. When I was put on the list I was pretty damn sick. My FEV1 was around 20% and I was on oxygen so I really had no choice in the matter. I know doctors say don't wait until your too sick to be put on the list but if you can still do everything you want to in life, or most things, it makes the decision much more difficult. Only you make the final decision. There is a great transplant forum that I go to all the time, <b>Transplantbuddies.org</b>, that help and answer any questions you might have. If you post this question there you will get plenty of opinions and helpful suggestions. Like Nicola said, if you have any questions you can pm me anytime.

Take Care
- Kevin

Buxxfan

Hey Bob,

Take Care
- Kevin

Buxxfan

Hey Bob,

Take Care
- Kevin

Buxxfan

Hey Bob,
<br />I know it is a very hard decision to make, especially if you feel really well most of the time. When I was put on the list I was pretty damn sick. My FEV1 was around 20% and I was on oxygen so I really had no choice in the matter. I know doctors say don't wait until your too sick to be put on the list but if you can still do everything you want to in life, or most things, it makes the decision much more difficult. Only you make the final decision. There is a great transplant forum that I go to all the time, <b>Transplantbuddies.org</b>, that help and answer any questions you might have. If you post this question there you will get plenty of opinions and helpful suggestions. Like Nicola said, if you have any questions you can pm me anytime.
<br />
<br />Take Care
<br />- Kevin

Pumuckl

Hi there, as the others have said it is a difficult decision...

I was transplanted when I was at 21% lung function and had been on oxygen for just a shortwhile (less than a year).

If it were myself faced with that decision and I had already decided that yes, eventually I do want a lung transplant, I would go ahead with the testing and get listed.

You never know how long it may take for you to get your lungs... I know some places take a year plus waiting (not sure how it is in Toronto) so getting listed sooner may improve your odds of still being healthy enough to do well with the transplant.

Also, I don't know if it is different in Canada but in the US we have the ability to say no when they call us for transplant in which case we just go back in the same spot in line and wait for the next one. That would be available if you got the call and felt you were not ready for the lungs.

I wish you the best :)

Pumuckl

I was transplanted when I was at 21% lung function and had been on oxygen for just a shortwhile (less than a year).

If it were myself faced with that decision and I had already decided that yes, eventually I do want a lung transplant, I would go ahead with the testing and get listed.

You never know how long it may take for you to get your lungs... I know some places take a year plus waiting (not sure how it is in Toronto) so getting listed sooner may improve your odds of still being healthy enough to do well with the transplant.

Also, I don't know if it is different in Canada but in the US we have the ability to say no when they call us for transplant in which case we just go back in the same spot in line and wait for the next one. That would be available if you got the call and felt you were not ready for the lungs.

Pumuckl

Pumuckl

Pumuckl

<br />
<br />I was transplanted when I was at 21% lung function and had been on oxygen for just a shortwhile (less than a year).
<br />
<br />If it were myself faced with that decision and I had already decided that yes, eventually I do want a lung transplant, I would go ahead with the testing and get listed.
<br />
<br />You never know how long it may take for you to get your lungs... I know some places take a year plus waiting (not sure how it is in Toronto) so getting listed sooner may improve your odds of still being healthy enough to do well with the transplant.
<br />
<br />Also, I don't know if it is different in Canada but in the US we have the ability to say no when they call us for transplant in which case we just go back in the same spot in line and wait for the next one. That would be available if you got the call and felt you were not ready for the lungs.
<br />
<br />I wish you the best :)