Need suggestions

Dreamweaver1019

<P align=left>My 3 yr old grandson is not potty trained yet, he lives w/me temporarily, and I am not sure how to begin w/him due to the meds he takes to help him in that area. Do they know when they are getting ready to have a bowel movement the same as we do or does it come on them so fast they can't make it to the potty? I have tried a few times w/pull up and also w/boys underwear but to no avail. His twin sister is potty trained already, but she doesn't have CF. You can tell he wants to be. How can I help him? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.</P>
<P align=left>Thanks!</P>

Dreamweaver1019

<P align=left>My 3 yr old grandson is not potty trained yet, he lives w/me temporarily, and I am not sure how to begin w/him due to the meds he takes to help him in that area. Do they know when they are getting ready to have a bowel movement the same as we do or does it come on them so fast they can't make it to the potty? I have tried a few times w/pull up and also w/boys underwear but to no avail. His twin sister is potty trained already, but she doesn't have CF. You can tell he wants to be. How can I help him? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.</P>

Dreamweaver1019

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
With DS his daycare actually helped me train him. Pullups were worthless as they were just like diapers and with regular underwear = a MESS. I purchased thick training pants -- about a dozen pair --- and plastic pants at Walmart. It took about two weeks, and I DID have him wear pull ups to bed, but eventually he got the hang of it. He was always one to wait until the last minute and by the time he realized he had to go to the bathroom, he was going. So the purpose of the training pants was to remind him of that uncomfortable feeling. I did a LOT of laundry those few weeks and didn't stray to far from home, but it worked.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
With DS his daycare actually helped me train him. Pullups were worthless as they were just like diapers and with regular underwear = a MESS. I purchased thick training pants -- about a dozen pair --- and plastic pants at Walmart. It took about two weeks, and I DID have him wear pull ups to bed, but eventually he got the hang of it. He was always one to wait until the last minute and by the time he realized he had to go to the bathroom, he was going. So the purpose of the training pants was to remind him of that uncomfortable feeling. I did a LOT of laundry those few weeks and didn't stray to far from home, but it worked.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

T

TonyaH

CF should not affect your grandsons ability to be potty trained. CFers still feel the urge to go just like anyone else. That's not to say there may be times when he needs to use the bathroom quickly, but they still know they need to get there. My son never had any problems, and when he was that age he had many digestive issues. Good luck!

T

TonyaH

CF should not affect your grandsons ability to be potty trained. CFers still feel the urge to go just like anyone else. That's not to say there may be times when he needs to use the bathroom quickly, but they still know they need to get there. My son never had any problems, and when he was that age he had many digestive issues. Good luck!

T

TonyaH

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I always thought too that because DS never liked having a messy diaper and he tended to get irritated easily, that it should be fairly easy to train him. In DS' case he was just too busy doing other things and didn't want to stop playing in order to use the bathroom.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I always thought too that because DS never liked having a messy diaper and he tended to get irritated easily, that it should be fairly easy to train him. In DS' case he was just too busy doing other things and didn't want to stop playing in order to use the bathroom.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter with CF was actually easier to potty train than my son without CF. For my daughter with Cf we did a reward system. A special treat after going on the potty. A sticker or piece of candy.

My son without CF was tough. My husband had to take the lead; basically spent the weekend with my son running around with no diaper; so when he did have to go it was either the floor or the potty.....Oh what fun! Seemed like he'ld never learn; think he was just stubborn. Now he is a great 13 year old teenager; times flies!

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter with CF was actually easier to potty train than my son without CF. For my daughter with Cf we did a reward system. A special treat after going on the potty. A sticker or piece of candy.

My son without CF was tough. My husband had to take the lead; basically spent the weekend with my son running around with no diaper; so when he did have to go it was either the floor or the potty.....Oh what fun! Seemed like he'ld never learn; think he was just stubborn. Now he is a great 13 year old teenager; times flies!

Rebjane

Super Moderator

imported_Momto2

We pretty much had our daughters go naked from the waist down for several days in a row, didnt leave the house, and put a portable potty pretty much in every major room of the house. They also were expected to clean up after themselves if they made a mess (that dealt nicely with the stubborness issue or the "I'm too busy to stop playing" issue) and it teaches personal responsibility for ones own actions. Our eldest was potty trained in less than a week at about two and three months of age. Our youngest learned over a single weekend at exactly two. We pretty much took the line of this is what is expected of you and we have every confidence you will succeed. They did get a sticker occasionally (intermittent reward system). Of course they have to have access to a potty during the night if they need it, so we just put one in their rooms next to the nightlight. (they had both moved to a toddler mattress on the floor by 15 months). I think so much is made out of potty training, much of it psych nonsense, so often it is the parents getting trained and jerked around. I wouldnt think the CF would make too much difference, your grandson may have to sit a little bit longer if he is a tad constipated (do watch out for a rectal prolapse in the young ones). Anyhow, best of luck, have expectations. The good news is that poo washes off : )

imported_Momto2

We pretty much had our daughters go naked from the waist down for several days in a row, didnt leave the house, and put a portable potty pretty much in every major room of the house. They also were expected to clean up after themselves if they made a mess (that dealt nicely with the stubborness issue or the "I'm too busy to stop playing" issue) and it teaches personal responsibility for ones own actions. Our eldest was potty trained in less than a week at about two and three months of age. Our youngest learned over a single weekend at exactly two. We pretty much took the line of this is what is expected of you and we have every confidence you will succeed. They did get a sticker occasionally (intermittent reward system). Of course they have to have access to a potty during the night if they need it, so we just put one in their rooms next to the nightlight. (they had both moved to a toddler mattress on the floor by 15 months). I think so much is made out of potty training, much of it psych nonsense, so often it is the parents getting trained and jerked around. I wouldnt think the CF would make too much difference, your grandson may have to sit a little bit longer if he is a tad constipated (do watch out for a rectal prolapse in the young ones). Anyhow, best of luck, have expectations. The good news is that poo washes off : )

imported_Momto2

mamerth

We gave our son big boy pants (not pull ups) and let him see what is was like to be wet. He hated it!! We also waited until he was ready to be potty trained.... he saw his friends using the bathroom and not wearing diapers-- other boys his age. We tried a year earlier and he fought us. It was obvious he wasn't ready.

At night time we were not so lucky. He was such a deep sleeper and I needed all the sleep I could get so we let him wear pull ups at night until his bladder could go all night. He started to wake up day after day dry and he handed me the package of pull ups and said he was done. No accidents!!

mamerth

We gave our son big boy pants (not pull ups) and let him see what is was like to be wet. He hated it!! We also waited until he was ready to be potty trained.... he saw his friends using the bathroom and not wearing diapers-- other boys his age. We tried a year earlier and he fought us. It was obvious he wasn't ready.

At night time we were not so lucky. He was such a deep sleeper and I needed all the sleep I could get so we let him wear pull ups at night until his bladder could go all night. He started to wake up day after day dry and he handed me the package of pull ups and said he was done. No accidents!!