needs advice with a transplant....

nuttzzy

Well a couple months ago my Dr brought this up told me to at least think about it. I'm sitting right about 43% or so. Last night I had a break down and drove around pondering this subject. I know many people are all for the transplant but I'm not sure if I want it. I know I will be letting many people down by not getting it. But I kinda feel like I want to let nature run its course like it does on everything else. You know the say if I was born to fly god would have gave me wings? Well that kinda how I feel about the lungs... on the other hand I would live longer maybe. I know when it all comes down to it its my choice. But just knowing my whole family and Dr are all pro transplant makes me want to do it for them. But then again they aren't the one going threw this procedure ether. I also kinda think I would feel funky with someone else's lungs. But I've had people tell me how can I just let myself go like that and not try everything possible to stop it? Well I've done everything in my life that I really wanted to do what's the shame in that? Anyway Sorry For the Venting.. These were just a few things going threw my mind last night I know someone somewhere have probably had them before.

Fell free to give me your Pro's Con's Opinions on the Subject. ANYTHING!!

Thanks For Reading

nuttzzy

Well a couple months ago my Dr brought this up told me to at least think about it. I'm sitting right about 43% or so. Last night I had a break down and drove around pondering this subject. I know many people are all for the transplant but I'm not sure if I want it. I know I will be letting many people down by not getting it. But I kinda feel like I want to let nature run its course like it does on everything else. You know the say if I was born to fly god would have gave me wings? Well that kinda how I feel about the lungs... on the other hand I would live longer maybe. I know when it all comes down to it its my choice. But just knowing my whole family and Dr are all pro transplant makes me want to do it for them. But then again they aren't the one going threw this procedure ether. I also kinda think I would feel funky with someone else's lungs. But I've had people tell me how can I just let myself go like that and not try everything possible to stop it? Well I've done everything in my life that I really wanted to do what's the shame in that? Anyway Sorry For the Venting.. These were just a few things going threw my mind last night I know someone somewhere have probably had them before.

Thanks For Reading

nuttzzy

Thanks For Reading

nuttzzy

Thanks For Reading

nuttzzy

<br />
<br />Fell free to give me your Pro's Con's Opinions on the Subject. ANYTHING!!
<br />
<br />Thanks For Reading
<br />
<br />
<br />

JazzysMom

My doctor mentioned it to me around the same lung function as you which was a few years ago. I was totally against the idea. I couldnt imagine putting my family through all that for the "possible" benefits.

I am still petrified, but more receptive to the idea. I think seeing how my CF progressing takes a toll on my family kind of made me realize....if they are already going thru things why not one more step for a chance at something better. If it doesnt work out then I am just where I was before (so to speak).

I worried about so many things, but thanks to the wonderful people from the CF community who have been parents, partners/spouses, siblings or CFers themselves that went through the whole process....it helps. Both the good & the not so good points of it.

There have been people we lost that never considered a transplant or chose not to after research. It definitely is a personal decision.

My husband told me that I had to do it for ME.....not him or our daughter, but me. That is a hard pill to swallow & if I wasnt married with a kid, that decision about doing it for ME would have a different outcome.

I wish there was an easy answer to it......

HUGS

JazzysMom

My doctor mentioned it to me around the same lung function as you which was a few years ago. I was totally against the idea. I couldnt imagine putting my family through all that for the "possible" benefits.

I am still petrified, but more receptive to the idea. I think seeing how my CF progressing takes a toll on my family kind of made me realize....if they are already going thru things why not one more step for a chance at something better. If it doesnt work out then I am just where I was before (so to speak).

I worried about so many things, but thanks to the wonderful people from the CF community who have been parents, partners/spouses, siblings or CFers themselves that went through the whole process....it helps. Both the good & the not so good points of it.

There have been people we lost that never considered a transplant or chose not to after research. It definitely is a personal decision.

My husband told me that I had to do it for ME.....not him or our daughter, but me. That is a hard pill to swallow & if I wasnt married with a kid, that decision about doing it for ME would have a different outcome.

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I am still petrified, but more receptive to the idea. I think seeing how my CF progressing takes a toll on my family kind of made me realize....if they are already going thru things why not one more step for a chance at something better. If it doesnt work out then I am just where I was before (so to speak).
<br />
<br />I worried about so many things, but thanks to the wonderful people from the CF community who have been parents, partners/spouses, siblings or CFers themselves that went through the whole process....it helps. Both the good & the not so good points of it.
<br />
<br />There have been people we lost that never considered a transplant or chose not to after research. It definitely is a personal decision.
<br />
<br />My husband told me that I had to do it for ME.....not him or our daughter, but me. That is a hard pill to swallow & if I wasnt married with a kid, that decision about doing it for ME would have a different outcome.
<br />
<br />I wish there was an easy answer to it......
<br />
<br />HUGS
<br />
<br />

NYCLawGirl

Hey Nuttzzy:

Love that you had the guts to start this thread, by the way. Awesome topic!

I'm right at where you are (a little lower FEV1 and a little more advanced in the tx process - I've already been evaluated and am considering going active on the list) and I totally understand feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of transplant. Believe me, it's a HUGE DEAL! I think the CF community in general is excited by the opportunities that transplant presents for us cystics, and sometimes that leads to downplaying the scary side of it all, but really, it's a HUGE DEAL (whoops, did I already say that? lol). "Trading" the scary but familiar problems of CF in for the equally scary AND totally new problems associated with transplant and a compromised immune system is a really daunting prospect. I think anyone who DOESN'T spend a lot of time thinking and questioning a decision like this is probably taking it too lightly, but that's just my opinion.

Transplant is a deeply personal decision. I get the thoughts about letting people down and wanting to fight as hard as you can, but I also think that the plain reality is that transplant probably isn't the best option for some people. And I think you're the ONLY one who can decide if it's right for you. That said, here are a couple of things that helped me make my decision:

1) Talking to people who have had transplants about their experience, and explaining beforehand that I wanted as much of the "whole picture" as they could give me
2) Asking TONS of questions of my doctors
3) Reading transplant literature (luckily CF dominates that lung transplant memoirs genre, but I also found more scientific and objective books to read including "the Lung Transplant Handbook" which I found very helpful if a bit outdated)
4) Talking really honestly with my family about my hesitations and my excitement so that they understood where I was coming from and didn't think I was crazy for some of my more emotional reactions
5) Taking a lot of time for myself to just think about it and not pressuring myself to rush the decision

Sounds like you're starting the process a little on the early side (just judging by your PFT numbers anyway), which is GREAT. My doctor did the same thing with me and it was super helpful - I felt like I had the time to really process everything instead of waiting until I was already really sick. Also, remember - just because you're starting the process of making this decision right now does NOT mean it's time to give up the fight with CF. Your FEV1 numbers are still in the 40s and I know plenty of people who have gone 10 years or more with numbers like those, although it's very much an individual thing. So this is not necessarily a "do or die" decision right now, and whichever decision you make you can always change your mind as you get sicker (or healthier!).

Feel free to PM me if you want to know ANYTHING about the evaluation or listing process, both of which I've either just finished or am just starting. And I hope you get some good responses from other people - I'm excited to see where this thread goes!

Good luck!

NYCLawGirl

Hey Nuttzzy:

I'm right at where you are (a little lower FEV1 and a little more advanced in the tx process - I've already been evaluated and am considering going active on the list) and I totally understand feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of transplant. Believe me, it's a HUGE DEAL! I think the CF community in general is excited by the opportunities that transplant presents for us cystics, and sometimes that leads to downplaying the scary side of it all, but really, it's a HUGE DEAL (whoops, did I already say that? lol). "Trading" the scary but familiar problems of CF in for the equally scary AND totally new problems associated with transplant and a compromised immune system is a really daunting prospect. I think anyone who DOESN'T spend a lot of time thinking and questioning a decision like this is probably taking it too lightly, but that's just my opinion.

Transplant is a deeply personal decision. I get the thoughts about letting people down and wanting to fight as hard as you can, but I also think that the plain reality is that transplant probably isn't the best option for some people. And I think you're the ONLY one who can decide if it's right for you. That said, here are a couple of things that helped me make my decision:

1) Talking to people who have had transplants about their experience, and explaining beforehand that I wanted as much of the "whole picture" as they could give me
3) Reading transplant literature (luckily CF dominates that lung transplant memoirs genre, but I also found more scientific and objective books to read including "the Lung Transplant Handbook" which I found very helpful if a bit outdated)
4) Talking really honestly with my family about my hesitations and my excitement so that they understood where I was coming from and didn't think I was crazy for some of my more emotional reactions
5) Taking a lot of time for myself to just think about it and not pressuring myself to rush the decision

Sounds like you're starting the process a little on the early side (just judging by your PFT numbers anyway), which is GREAT. My doctor did the same thing with me and it was super helpful - I felt like I had the time to really process everything instead of waiting until I was already really sick. Also, remember - just because you're starting the process of making this decision right now does NOT mean it's time to give up the fight with CF. Your FEV1 numbers are still in the 40s and I know plenty of people who have gone 10 years or more with numbers like those, although it's very much an individual thing. So this is not necessarily a "do or die" decision right now, and whichever decision you make you can always change your mind as you get sicker (or healthier!).

Feel free to PM me if you want to know ANYTHING about the evaluation or listing process, both of which I've either just finished or am just starting. And I hope you get some good responses from other people - I'm excited to see where this thread goes!

Good luck!

NYCLawGirl

Hey Nuttzzy:

Good luck!

NYCLawGirl

Hey Nuttzzy:

Good luck!

NYCLawGirl

Hey Nuttzzy:
<br />
<br />Love that you had the guts to start this thread, by the way. Awesome topic!
<br />
<br />I'm right at where you are (a little lower FEV1 and a little more advanced in the tx process - I've already been evaluated and am considering going active on the list) and I totally understand feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of transplant. Believe me, it's a HUGE DEAL! I think the CF community in general is excited by the opportunities that transplant presents for us cystics, and sometimes that leads to downplaying the scary side of it all, but really, it's a HUGE DEAL (whoops, did I already say that? lol). "Trading" the scary but familiar problems of CF in for the equally scary AND totally new problems associated with transplant and a compromised immune system is a really daunting prospect. I think anyone who DOESN'T spend a lot of time thinking and questioning a decision like this is probably taking it too lightly, but that's just my opinion.
<br />
<br />Transplant is a deeply personal decision. I get the thoughts about letting people down and wanting to fight as hard as you can, but I also think that the plain reality is that transplant probably isn't the best option for some people. And I think you're the ONLY one who can decide if it's right for you. That said, here are a couple of things that helped me make my decision:
<br />
<br />1) Talking to people who have had transplants about their experience, and explaining beforehand that I wanted as much of the "whole picture" as they could give me
<br />2) Asking TONS of questions of my doctors
<br />3) Reading transplant literature (luckily CF dominates that lung transplant memoirs genre, but I also found more scientific and objective books to read including "the Lung Transplant Handbook" which I found very helpful if a bit outdated)
<br />4) Talking really honestly with my family about my hesitations and my excitement so that they understood where I was coming from and didn't think I was crazy for some of my more emotional reactions
<br />5) Taking a lot of time for myself to just think about it and not pressuring myself to rush the decision
<br />
<br />Sounds like you're starting the process a little on the early side (just judging by your PFT numbers anyway), which is GREAT. My doctor did the same thing with me and it was super helpful - I felt like I had the time to really process everything instead of waiting until I was already really sick. Also, remember - just because you're starting the process of making this decision right now does NOT mean it's time to give up the fight with CF. Your FEV1 numbers are still in the 40s and I know plenty of people who have gone 10 years or more with numbers like those, although it's very much an individual thing. So this is not necessarily a "do or die" decision right now, and whichever decision you make you can always change your mind as you get sicker (or healthier!).
<br />
<br />Feel free to PM me if you want to know ANYTHING about the evaluation or listing process, both of which I've either just finished or am just starting. And I hope you get some good responses from other people - I'm excited to see where this thread goes!
<br />
<br />Good luck!

saveferris2009

i am no where near tx but i just wanted to add i have heard several close to tx people expect not wanting to let anyone down.

but as you mentioned, it's your body and you have to go through the procedure and endure the after effects.

for what it's worth, i think you should make the decision based on your desire. tx isn't always seemless, and you need to have the desire to have the fight to endure the ups and downs.

take care.

saveferris2009

i am no where near tx but i just wanted to add i have heard several close to tx people expect not wanting to let anyone down.

but as you mentioned, it's your body and you have to go through the procedure and endure the after effects.

for what it's worth, i think you should make the decision based on your desire. tx isn't always seemless, and you need to have the desire to have the fight to endure the ups and downs.

take care.

saveferris2009

take care.

saveferris2009

take care.

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />but as you mentioned, it's your body and you have to go through the procedure and endure the after effects.
<br />
<br />for what it's worth, i think you should make the decision based on your desire. tx isn't always seemless, and you need to have the desire to have the fight to endure the ups and downs.
<br />
<br />take care.