NEW D TUBE- HELP!!

dmarie781

I have conflicting answers from the Doctors as to if you can use the vest yet with the g-tube. My 14year old daughter just got it on Monday and is still very sore. Some say yes some said no. What worked for CPT for everyone else with a new tube.
Also, any helpful hints will be much appreciated as I am very nervous I won't do the right thing in regards to care and maintenance until she heals and gets the long tube shortened. Insurace co is giving us hard time about getting pump to us so I am having to do feedings myself and that isn't going well either. I am so stressed!!

dmarie781

I have conflicting answers from the Doctors as to if you can use the vest yet with the g-tube. My 14year old daughter just got it on Monday and is still very sore. Some say yes some said no. What worked for CPT for everyone else with a new tube.
Also, any helpful hints will be much appreciated as I am very nervous I won't do the right thing in regards to care and maintenance until she heals and gets the long tube shortened. Insurace co is giving us hard time about getting pump to us so I am having to do feedings myself and that isn't going well either. I am so stressed!!

dmarie781

dmarie781

dmarie781

<br />Also, any helpful hints will be much appreciated as I am very nervous I won't do the right thing in regards to care and maintenance until she heals and gets the long tube shortened. Insurace co is giving us hard time about getting pump to us so I am having to do feedings myself and that isn't going well either. I am so stressed!!

M

Mommafirst

I know it is stressful and overwhelming, but I <b>promise</b> you it will get easier.

We used the vest almost right away and my daughter didn't seem bothered at all. She went right to the button, though, so I'm not sure about the long tube. Since your daughter is older, I'd let her lead your way. If it hurts to do the vest, try manual CPT for a few days. Ask her what she wants.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have. I was a wreck when my daughter got her feeding tube. But just like anything else that you have integrated into your life and her care, it becomes second nature.

M

Mommafirst

I know it is stressful and overwhelming, but I <b>promise</b> you it will get easier.

We used the vest almost right away and my daughter didn't seem bothered at all. She went right to the button, though, so I'm not sure about the long tube. Since your daughter is older, I'd let her lead your way. If it hurts to do the vest, try manual CPT for a few days. Ask her what she wants.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have. I was a wreck when my daughter got her feeding tube. But just like anything else that you have integrated into your life and her care, it becomes second nature.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />We used the vest almost right away and my daughter didn't seem bothered at all. She went right to the button, though, so I'm not sure about the long tube. Since your daughter is older, I'd let her lead your way. If it hurts to do the vest, try manual CPT for a few days. Ask her what she wants.
<br />
<br />I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have. I was a wreck when my daughter got her feeding tube. But just like anything else that you have integrated into your life and her care, it becomes second nature.

izemmom

When Emily had a long tube, we used to coil it close to her body and secure it with a body bandage during her vest. This helped it not move around and reduced irritation.

We also got sponges from Hill Rom (free) that we cut a hole out of so that the tube/button could go through. This really helped to protect the site and reduce jiggling duing the shaking. We used these for a long time, until Emily said that it bothered her and pulled it out in the middle of a vest session.

Now, we just use an IV sponge (like a gauze pad) under the button. This helps enormously to reduce tissue granulation and irritation. We get split sponges that are treated with an antimicrobial. They're great. We use triamcinolone cream under the pad, as needed.

I agree with Heather, it WILL get better and you'll be glad for the tube, eventually. I can't beleive you are having trouble getting the pump! That's terrible! Does the hospital have one they can loan to you until you get yours? Please ask. I'd be surprised if they didn't. Your clinic can probably help you with that.

Good luck and "feel better" to Megan, and, hang in there mom. PM me if I can be of further help. You are doing the best you can.

izemmom

When Emily had a long tube, we used to coil it close to her body and secure it with a body bandage during her vest. This helped it not move around and reduced irritation.

We also got sponges from Hill Rom (free) that we cut a hole out of so that the tube/button could go through. This really helped to protect the site and reduce jiggling duing the shaking. We used these for a long time, until Emily said that it bothered her and pulled it out in the middle of a vest session.

Now, we just use an IV sponge (like a gauze pad) under the button. This helps enormously to reduce tissue granulation and irritation. We get split sponges that are treated with an antimicrobial. They're great. We use triamcinolone cream under the pad, as needed.

I agree with Heather, it WILL get better and you'll be glad for the tube, eventually. I can't beleive you are having trouble getting the pump! That's terrible! Does the hospital have one they can loan to you until you get yours? Please ask. I'd be surprised if they didn't. Your clinic can probably help you with that.

Good luck and "feel better" to Megan, and, hang in there mom. PM me if I can be of further help. You are doing the best you can.

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

<br />
<br />We also got sponges from Hill Rom (free) that we cut a hole out of so that the tube/button could go through. This really helped to protect the site and reduce jiggling duing the shaking. We used these for a long time, until Emily said that it bothered her and pulled it out in the middle of a vest session.
<br />
<br />Now, we just use an IV sponge (like a gauze pad) under the button. This helps enormously to reduce tissue granulation and irritation. We get split sponges that are treated with an antimicrobial. They're great. We use triamcinolone cream under the pad, as needed.
<br />
<br />I agree with Heather, it WILL get better and you'll be glad for the tube, eventually. I can't beleive you are having trouble getting the pump! That's terrible! Does the hospital have one they can loan to you until you get yours? Please ask. I'd be surprised if they didn't. Your clinic can probably help you with that.
<br />
<br />Good luck and "feel better" to Megan, and, hang in there mom. PM me if I can be of further help. You are doing the best you can.

dmarie781

Thanks so much for the replies. I will give your ideas a try. I finally did get the pump. (The squeaky wheel does get the oil!) The only problem now is she is having stomach aches and we are not sure what from. We have not been tube feeding her since we got out of the hospital on Thanksgiving. The clinic said to wait and see if her stomach gets regulated. She is also having allergy issues we don't know where that's coming from either? So many variables with the strong antibiotics she needed to get her lungs in shape for the surgery or the tube feedings. This is so stressful. I know it will get better though. The last 14 years has been one big roller coaster ride! Ups and Downs

dmarie781

Thanks so much for the replies. I will give your ideas a try. I finally did get the pump. (The squeaky wheel does get the oil!) The only problem now is she is having stomach aches and we are not sure what from. We have not been tube feeding her since we got out of the hospital on Thanksgiving. The clinic said to wait and see if her stomach gets regulated. She is also having allergy issues we don't know where that's coming from either? So many variables with the strong antibiotics she needed to get her lungs in shape for the surgery or the tube feedings. This is so stressful. I know it will get better though. The last 14 years has been one big roller coaster ride! Ups and Downs

dmarie781

dmarie781

dmarie781